William Plummer

C Stanley Mason

Ted Lundrigan

Frank Mele

Ron Ellis

GBE

Worth Mathewson

*Forgot Aldo Leopold

Find a bookseller of such books and just dive in....that may be the easiest route to finding personal appeal.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry Brown

• kgb

• Marc Ret

• oak stob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly all my favorite outdoor writers are gone.

Cooter Brown. Internet scribe.

I’ve read Robert Ruark’s “The Old Man and the Boy” and “The Old Man’s Boy Grows Older” so many times over the years, I could practically recite them from memory.    I have been so moved over

Posted Images

Ben Williams and E. Donnell Thomas both know of what they write.  They are well versed in bird hunting and fly fishing in the west and are the real deal.

As has been mentioned a couple of times. Buckingham and Babcock. Just like the southern settings as I can relate. 

Michael McIntosh and Gene Hill could write about anything, and make it sizzle like an aged New York Steak on an open fire grill. 

E. Donnell Thomas seems to always make you feel like you're right there with him.

Steve Grooms and Larry Brown give you a healthy serving of "being there", but also are really informative  about what they are doing in terms of guns, chokes, loads, field craft,  the art of shooting well, et al. Larry is very informative about dog work. More so than anyone else.

Steve Smith has a style of his own that I've grown to really enjoy. He does it all, but I wish he's quite saying he wasn't a good shot. 

Tom Roster gives the most up to date, complete information about shotgun  ballistics. His info is stuff you can take to the bank. 

Marty Fischer's shooting instruction columns are first rate. 

Harry Middleton may be my absolute favorite. My English setter is named Albert from THE EARTH IS ENOUGH. 

3 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

E. Don, Guy de la Valdene, those Wensel kids,  Jim Fergus, Peter Hathaway Capstick.  

I got Valdene's woodcock book as a gift for hosting some folks at my cabin. I think I got the better of the deal!!  Great read!!

17 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Michael McIntosh and Gene Hill could write about anything, and make it sizzle like an aged New York Steak on an open fire grill. 

Very well put!!  I'm more drawn to command of the English language and skill at using turn of phrase than actual technical knowledge, although McIntosh had a healthy dose of that when it came to vintage doubles. 

I just thought of someone else! Tom Davis' stuff really appeals to me and anyone who hasn't read Aldo Leupold needs to!!

Most of mine have been mentioned.

Has James Harrison been mentioned? Not always outdoors but a favorite.

I know many people detest wild turkeys but Tom Kelly's books on wild turkey hunting are outstanding.

Steve Smith (mostly an editor but I like his witty writing style.)

Ted Kerasote for a conservation/environmental spin

Charles Fergus...yes, Charles not Jim, who I also like. A Rough Shooting Dog (classic spaniel book) 

Thanks for the leads everyone. I have read a few stories from a few of the folks mentioned. I will look into some of the others. I have some Babcock too. My favorite from him is "breamers stop at nothing" about bluegill fishing.

56 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Steve Smith (mostly an editor but I like his witty writing style.)

The Smith boys ain't bad either.  Chris knows how to use a paint brush and a pencil.  

Grew up reading anything Craig Boddington would write.  But, then again, I grew up big game hunting/dreaming mostly. 

2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Very well put!!  I'm more drawn to command of the English language and skill at using turn of phrase than actual technical knowledge, although McIntosh had a healthy dose of that when it came to vintage doubles. 

I just thought of someone else! Tom Davis' stuff really appeals to me and anyone who hasn't read Aldo Leupold needs to!!

Agree on Tom Davis. Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac is always on the table by my recliner. MacQuarrie was the best outdoor newspaper and magazine writer of his time and to this day has no equal. Keith Crowley’s book about “Mac” is a must read. Jim Harrison and G. Valdene dig deep into the reasons why - can’t disagree with any of the ones mentioned so far.

Ken