• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry Brown

• kgb

• Marc Ret

• oak stob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly all my favorite outdoor writers are gone.

Cooter Brown. Internet scribe.

I’ve read Robert Ruark’s “The Old Man and the Boy” and “The Old Man’s Boy Grows Older” so many times over the years, I could practically recite them from memory.    I have been so moved over

Posted Images

Flushing Whip

Well, most of those are more generalized but I am always looking for a good writer of dog and hunting stories.  I subscribe to Sporting Classics and for sure-- the draw factor for me is Tom Davis-- he does a fabulous job and pulls me right in every time.

Flushing Whip
32 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

Tom Davis and Jim Fergus. 

I responded from the original page and couldn't see what the last answer would be. I wrote about Tom Davis and when it posted, you just wrote about him too. He's really got the touch-- doesn't he?

6 minutes ago, Flushing Whip said:

I responded from the original page and couldn't see what the last answer would be. I wrote about Tom Davis and when it posted, you just wrote about him too. He's really got the touch-- doesn't he?

He happens to be a friend of mine, so I hear him speak eveeytime I read his stuff and it still amazes me. He has helped me with some of my articles, Begrudgingly. It usually costs me lunch. He has some stories that he never wrote about, that hopefully he shares someday.

I've hunted with Tom a few times.  Good guy.  Grew up in Iowa (as I did, and so did McIntosh).  Davis lived in a part of the state that had some quail as well as pheasants.  Good pheasants where I grew up.  No quail, but I wasn't that far from the part of the state that had really good grouse hunting back in the 70's and 80's (until our forests all matured, very little logging).  McIntosh lived in the SE corner, where there was no pheasant season yet when he was a kid.  But good quail.

Flushing Whip
On 2/2/2019 at 11:03 PM, GB Jack said:

He happens to be a friend of mine, so I hear him speak everytime I read his stuff and it still amazes me. He has helped me with some of my articles, Begrudgingly. It usually costs me lunch. He has some stories that he never wrote about, that hopefully he shares someday.

He wrote a wonderful column about my dog Finn McCool-- and we periodically talk via phone or email about some project he's tuned in to. His stuff is exceptional and it grabs your heart-- have you read his piece on his dad's boots? I just love the way he organizes it and puts it together!

Check Ebay.  Get a lot of my books there, including Horn of the Hunter

On 1/31/2019 at 4:52 PM, Chief Paduke said:

Great thread. Spurred me to find The Best of Nash Buckingham and Jaybirds go to hell on Friday and reread them for the umteenth time. If I could only find Horn of the Hunter, my triple play would be complete. 

11 hours ago, Flushing Whip said:

He wrote a wonderful column about my dog Finn McCool-- and we periodically talk via phone or email about some project he's tuned in to. His stuff is exceptional and it grabs your heart-- have you read his piece on his dad's boots? I just love the way he organizes it and puts it together!

I’m not that I have , I’ll have to ask him 

On 2/3/2019 at 7:55 AM, Larry Brown said:

I've hunted with Tom a few times.  Good guy.  Grew up in Iowa (as I did, and so did McIntosh).  Davis lived in a part of the state that had some quail as well as pheasants.  Good pheasants where I grew up.  No quail, but I wasn't that far from the part of the state that had really good grouse hunting back in the 70's and 80's (until our forests all matured, very little logging).  McIntosh lived in the SE corner, where there was no pheasant season yet when he was a kid.  But good quail.

He has brought up some of those adventures you’ve had with him Larry. Speaks highly of you. 

Hemingway, Hill, Waterman, Ruark, McManus, London, Sparce Grey Hackles (Alfred Miller) Roosevelt, Samuel Thayer and Cully Gage (Charles Van Ripper)

and of course Nathaniel Hawthorne.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, GB Jack said:

He has brought up some of those adventures you’ve had with him Larry. Speaks highly of you. 

We have had some good times together.  One not so good time:    Hunting out of the place I lived in central Iowa for about 20 years on a wet day, we ended up knocking down and losing 3 pheasants.  (I think that's the only time I've ever been involved in a 2 man hunt and lost that many.)  That was a day they needed to come down dead, because when they didn't, it was like the very wet grass washed away the scent.

I'm pretty sure I hadn't yet met Tom when there were still good grouse numbers in northeast Iowa or I would have taken him up there.  Still worth going for woodcock, especially when the flights are coming through.  But if I were to see a grouse in Iowa, I'm not sure I'd have the heart to shoot it.

Nick Sisley. Author of Grouse Magic.

I read he passed away a few days ago.

Larry?

Ken

On 2/6/2019 at 1:47 PM, Larry Brown said:

We have had some good times together.  One not so good time:    Hunting out of the place I lived in central Iowa for about 20 years on a wet day, we ended up knocking down and losing 3 pheasants.  (I think that's the only time I've ever been involved in a 2 man hunt and lost that many.)  That was a day they needed to come down dead, because when they didn't, it was like the very wet grass washed away the scent.

I'm pretty sure I hadn't yet met Tom when there were still good grouse numbers in northeast Iowa or I would have taken him up there.  Still worth going for woodcock, especially when the flights are coming through.  But if I were to see a grouse in Iowa, I'm not sure I'd have the heart to shoot it.

Larry the last time I was up there chasing grouse I talked to a Dnr guy who told me he hadn’t seen a grouse in 10  years. I think the last one I saw was in the 90’s.  

55 minutes ago, Wisconsin said:

Nick Sisley. Author of Grouse Magic.

I read he passed away a few days ago.

Larry?

Ken

Not much available on his passing but this