REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Astro T5 collar issue

BlacknTan

I traded in my old Astro 220/DC-30 unit almost 1 year ago for this Astro 430/ T-5. It has seen a lot of work, and although well cared for, it shows. The combo has worked flawlessly the entire time, used 5, sometimes 6 days a week.

End of last week, it gave me an erroneous reading. Showed the dog in the opposite direction of where i figured she was, and I proved to be right. A few minutes later, the handheld showed a loss of communication completely, and the collar was not blinking the correct sequence. Never again got communication that day, although the handheld showed the collar unit fully charged and with good communication with the handheld. So, I figured the collar lost satellite communication.

Spoke to a tech at Garmin, and he is sending a new collar unit at no charge, but I must return this collar.

Now, just for giggles, I downloaded and installed all updates on both handheld and collar. Today, the system worked flawlessly, as usual. But, I'm a bug on reliability. When I put a dog on the ground, I want the unit to work..

So, should I take the new collar and send the old working unit back? Buy the new collar at the discounted rate as a spare? Or cancel the shipping of the new collar?

Cooter Brown

I'd call Garmin and explain the situation and see how long I could keep both without charge.  You want to make sure the old one is actually fixed and that it starting to work again is not a fluke.  And I'd use the old one constantly for that time period, with the intention being to proof the old one, pay the discount for the new one, and keep both.

I'd do this because having a backup for a device like this is great insurance.

BlacknTan
11 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

I'd call Garmin and explain the situation and see how long I could keep both without charge.  You want to make sure the old one is actually fixed and that it starting to work again is not a fluke.  And I'd use the old one constantly for that time period, with the intention being to proof the old one, pay the discount for the new one, and keep both.

I'd do this because having a backup for a device like this is great insurance.

I had to give Garmin my cc # to ship the new collar right away. As soon as they get the old one back, they refund my cc. According to the tech, no real time limit..

Having a backup does make a lot of good sense to me... I tend to agree with you.

I'll be using the old collar all this week, unless we get rain... I guess I'll know more as time goes on..

But, could the software (firmware) in the collar have become corrupted, and the update repaired it? This is what I just don't know...

WAGinVA

I have had similar issues with DC40 collars in the past.  Updating software has always worked.  A man needs backup!

Cooter Brown
19 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

But, could the software (firmware) in the collar have become corrupted, and the update repaired it? This is what I just don't know...

I guess that's possible, but I don't know either.  That's why I'd want to test the heck out of it.

A spare is important.  This year a buddy's new TT15 died in the field while hunting in the UP--we got great use out of my spare after that.

BlacknTan

Thanks for the thoughts, gents.. A spare is sounding like a good idea!

Curt

I have the same unit, Astro 430 w/ T5 and T5 mini.   When I bought the thing the guys at LCS told me it is a good idea to download the latest software updates from Garmin a couple times per year.  As a second 'line of defense' I also calibrate the compass on mine every time I take it out.  No issues so far but I haven't used it for even  a year yet.  Good luck on getting your unit squared away..Garmin is a good company to work with.

Two Barrels

I had almost the exact same thing happen to a T5 mini 3 weeks ago.  I purchased the mini back in October to add to my Astro430/T5 system.  The T5 mini said my dog was 280 yards in the opposite direction.  Once we were back at the truck, it was completely dead.  It would not turn on and it would not take a charge.  All I got was a flashing red light on the collar when hooked up to charge.  Called Garmin, they sent a new warranty replacement once they received the defective collar.  I was pleased with their service.

I would take the new collar.  I would always question the old one.

BlacknTan

Thanks for all the insight and good advice..

Just an FYI.. The collar worked flawlessly for 3 1/2 hours this AM.

airmedic1

I had a similar issue where I kept losing contact with my dog. I would get a message saying it had lost contact and if I would shut both the collar and the Astro off it would work again for a short period of time. I downloaded the collar update and haven’t had a problem since. 

AM

BlacknTan
33 minutes ago, airmedic1 said:

I had a similar issue where I kept losing contact with my dog. I would get a message saying it had lost contact and if I would shut both the collar and the Astro off it would work again for a short period of time. I downloaded the collar update and haven’t had a problem since. 

AM

Yes...

Four days running and the collar is working perfectly..

Thanks for all the replies.

dgfavor

How do you get the spare on the dog when its lost?  🤔  If the system is that unreliable makes sense that the backup needs to also be on the dog. 😉

BlacknTan

An update for anyone interested..

The T-5 lost communication with the handheld again today, acting exactly as it did last week.

On a positive note, the brand new free replacement arrived today.. Good on Garmin.

oak stob

Frustration with electronics is our lives today.

An extra whatever.....makes sense.

Once I began to have communication issues, update needed or not, that was a welcome excuse to new-up and keep the updated old collar/handheld as an extra.

We, or I, do get dependent on electronics in certain coverts.....there seems precious little reason to court worry over "will it?"

Timing is everything.....ditto on Garmin.

Curt
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, BlacknTan said:

An update for anyone interested..

The T-5 lost communication with the handheld again today, acting exactly as it did last week.

On a positive note, the brand new free replacement arrived today.. Good on Garmin.

Are you in visual contact with the dog when this has happened?  What's the terrain like where you are?  In five years of use with my old Astro 220 the only time it ever lost contact with the collar was in very hilly country when the dog put a hill between us.

If that's not happening to you then obviously something else is an issue, assuming you've updated the software and calibrated the compass.  If the new collar works flawlessly I'd get rid of the old one, you'll never have faith in it and it'll just put added stress on your day when ever you use it.  Personally I have little tolerance for electronic glitches where my dogs are concerned.