REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Possumtown

Bummed out, bad news

terrym

So, who’s in for Alberta then ?

in all seriousness our birth rate isn’t covering the shrinking work force up here. Everybody wants to retire but there aren’t enough people to replace them. 

bigjohnsd
14 minutes ago, terrym said:

So, who’s in for Alberta then ?

in all seriousness our birth rate isn’t covering the shrinking work force up here. Everybody wants to retire but there aren’t enough people to replace them. 

Seriously?  

With weather like this: 

Extreme Cold Warning for Northern Alberta
Active for next 12 hours · Environment Canada
This alert has been updated.
Posted 4 hours ago
A multi-day episode of very cold wind chills continues. The coldest wind chill values will be between minus 40 and minus 45.

Regions in central and southern parts of the province will see slight moderation in temperatures as a weather system brings in cloud and snow tonight. However, the extreme cold is expected to return to most areas Friday night.

###

WTH do people have to do but procreate or practice?

Steve Hunts

come on giant apolitical meteoroid!!!

cajunl

Here in Florida I lose about one hunting spot every year to development. Slowed down a coupe years after the 2008 recession. Two years ago I lost a piece that I hunted for 20+ years to development. 

The cost of progress I guess.

Possumtown

Ok.... it's Friday which is not as heavy as usual traffic day because people take 3 day weekends. I drive 33 mile one way to work. I pulled out of my driveway at 6:14 A.M. ,I pulled in to work (33 miles mind you) at 7:56 A.M.  I made a mental note on car tags from different States so here we go; Michigan, Texas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky ,Georgia, Mississippi, Virginia, Maine, New York, California, Oregon,New Jersey ,Minnesota and Delaware..... I saw multiples of all of them except Mississippi, Oregon and Delaware.  

Possumtown
13 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

The "Colonists" were not "Immigrants?  Just ask those unfortunate people from whom the Colonists appropriated their new place to live.

With Immigrants comes Industry - may not be what the "Industry" that our fathers and forefathers were employed in but when you add people you add industry as well.

Absolutely correct.  I have family that came to Massachusets in the mid-1600s, I have family that fled the Irish Potatoe Famine, I have family that fled the draft of the Austro-Hungarian empire in the 1870's.  All immigrants, all did their share of "Heavy Lifting".  And don't leave out the "Heavy Lifting" done by those of the "Greatest Generation".  The consequences of not defeating the Axis powers in WW2 are unknowable.  Certainly the "Immigrants" lifted more than their share in that war.

Finally, without Immigrants our economy, built on consumption, can not continue to grow.  The birthrate of us old Natural "Muricans is right at or below the replacement rate.  Somebody has to work to pay our Social Security.  JSNS

Well, I guess we just see things differently. If one were to go over a list if the signers of the Declaration of Independence I don't believe many Eastern European,German,Italian or Hispanic names will be found. I'm not knocking any of those nationalities, they contributed greatly once they got here, but the fact is that the country that they came to had already been founded (through revolution and war) and it was founded by Scotch-Irish and English colonist that had not immigrated here,they were born here. That's what I mean by "heavy lifting". This is edging towards the "P" word so this is the last I'll say about it.

Big Al
33 minutes ago, Possumtown said:

I made a mental note on car tags from different States so here we go; Michigan, Texas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky ,Georgia, Mississippi, Virginia, Maine, New York, California, Oregon,New Jersey ,Minnesota and Delaware..... I saw multiples of all of them except Mississippi, Oregon and Delaware.  

Heck that's just a ten minute ride down our main drag down here.  See the occasional Alaska and last year even saw a Hawaii.

oak stob

I'll make a blonde comment...died by my own hand.

jeff88
15 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

Seriously?  

With weather like this: 

Extreme Cold Warning for Northern Alberta
Active for next 12 hours · Environment Canada
This alert has been updated.
Posted 4 hours ago
A multi-day episode of very cold wind chills continues. The coldest wind chill values will be between minus 40 and minus 45.

Regions in central and southern parts of the province will see slight moderation in temperatures as a weather system brings in cloud and snow tonight. However, the extreme cold is expected to return to most areas Friday night.

###

WTH do people have to do but procreate or practice?

OTOH, wouldn't this be the best time to buy?  There must be dozens of huge tracts available at a bargain.  😎

Possumtown

I talked to the planning director in my county today asking him his development predictions for the next 10-20 years and he said yes, it will all be subdivisions with the exceptions of maybe a few small cattle farms hanging on longer. He said the developers will take the low hanging fruit, 50 to 100 acre farms, then when they are gone they will go after the 25 to 50 acre landowners. Then when that is gone it gets tougher going after places like mine, 10 to 15 acres, because they have to get sellers that have land connected to sell all at once so they have 25 to 50 contiguous acres to put a subdivision on..... but he said it will happen.

When it comes to that, living here won't have any special meaning anymore, there will be nothing left to have any connection to or affection for,then I'll sell, get as far away as I can and put this nightmare behind me.

max2
33 minutes ago, Possumtown said:

When it comes to that, living here won't have any special meaning anymore, there will be nothing left to have any connection to or affection for,then I'll sell, get as far away as I can and put this nightmare behind me.

kid ......... exactly . ~  It's what I have done.  Another way to look at this is the next group moving into your area will know nothing about the great time you had growing up in your current area. Move on and make it happen for you again. Don't look back. It's ok to reminisce though. What can help clear your head is to follow a dog through a fall covert ...... crack a "good" beer  sit down and think about what I am suggesting .  👍