Bummed out, bad news

Read in the paper that a 400 acre farm down the road is gonna be developed with 1600 houses,apartments and townhomes(I don't even know what a "townhome" is) and it's making me sick. My family has lived here since 1786 and it has always been home.... not anymore.

I don't care much about deer hunting more than a freezer filler and once I could get in my treestand below the house and in a couple of sits I was good to go,same with turkeys in the spring but  they are gone now because of all the subdivisions being built all around me. I used to see both daily,but in 6 sits this year I saw 1 yearling doe and let her walk.

It use to be really nice here, now it seems 1/4 of the population of the north and of California has moved here, we use to have farms and all open land,trucks outnumbered cars 4 to 1 and it was a good place to live, now it's destroyed farmland,tacky subdivisions full of butt ugly houses,yankees, and unbearable traffic.. it sucks and I'm starting to hate it here.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Possumtown

• terrym

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright. Looks like everyone pretty well agrees. The world is spiraling down the hopper. Here’s my suggestion: lets all pool our resources and you guys can come up here and we buy a great big chu

And every bit as delectable!! I told my cardiologist what was in it and HE had a heart attack!!

I don't see any 'got to have kids' campaign. Maybe I am missing something. Having children is the most life changing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. Not for everybody, but I highly r

Posted Images

Yep I know how you feel lost my deer hunting spot last year that I had been hunting since 1978, now there are houses 🏠 being built on it. 

1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Yep I know how you feel lost my deer hunting spot last year that I had been hunting since 1978, now there are houses 🏠 being built on it. 

I hear that, I usta fish in the spring and summer, a lot of lakes here(Middle TN) it was good fishing till the crowds came then I quit fishing in the spring and summer and only fished in the winter. Last few times out several years ago I would pull up on a crappie bush I put out ( at night to keep from being seen) and boats were all around and guys are trying to line the bush up as I put them out at least 100 yards from the bank in likely spots to try to hide them. Anyway , I'd pull up the marker and move off to another one only to watch a boat or two go find the bush I put out with their sidescans and gps, After I saw that a few times I said' Screw it" and sold my boat and quit fishing the lakes altogether.

2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Damn Yankee's.  9_9

Can't stop progress.  I'm 70 now and have done my last clear-cut on my middle GA farm.  From here on it will just be thinning cuts in my pine plantations to end up with  a 600 acre subdivision cut to pass along to my children if nothing bad don't happen.  What they do with it is up to them, I expect they'll develop.  I don't blame them...SelbyLowndes

I can attest it's hard to hold onto land that is not producing income. Even if there is the desire sometimes it is not possible, especially if siblings and cousins are involved in the ownership. Right now our family is having a "changing of the guard" and I regrettably see the writing on the wall. 

Possum-I feel your pain and wish it was different for you.

3 hours ago, Possumtown said:

It use to be really nice here, now it seems 1/4 of the population of the north and of California has moved here, we use to have farms and all open land,trucks outnumbered cars 4 to 1 and it was a good place to live, now it's destroyed farmland,tacky subdivisions full of butt ugly houses,yankees, and unbearable traffic.. it sucks and I'm starting to hate it here.

Well, there go my plans to move to TN in a few years. Any states out there welcoming transplants?

28 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Nope, City Slickers. 

Yankee city slickers. :)

I'm a yankee and I've considered retiring, at least seasonally, to middle or eastern TN.  That said, I can fully appreciate Possumtown's frustration and his perspective.  I've been down in that country at least 4 times scouting things out, looking at different areas, checking out real estate, etc. and even I think that some of the pretty parts of the state are getting over-populated and it's clear that a pretty high percentage of those people are new retirees from places like NY, Chicago and even from California and Florida.  Personally I'm probably a lot closer to a southern redneck politically and philosophically than to the average "yankee" that moves down there; I think my neighbors will like me and think I'll fit in the community fine, but like I said, I can fully understand the frustration.  

28 minutes ago, GANGGREEN said:

I'm a yankee and I've considered retiring, at least seasonally, to middle or eastern TN.  That said, I can fully appreciate Possumtown's frustration and his perspective.  I've been down in that country at least 4 times scouting things out, looking at different areas, checking out real estate, etc. and even I think that some of the pretty parts of the state are getting over-populated and it's clear that a pretty high percentage of those people are new retirees from places like NY, Chicago and even from California and Florida.  Personally I'm probably a lot closer to a southern redneck politically and philosophically than to the average "yankee" that moves down there; I think my neighbors will like me and think I'll fit in the community fine, but like I said, I can fully understand the frustration.  

It's worse than frustrating....it's heartbreaking and demoralizing.

Can't beat it join it.  Buy a piece of ground where the growth is moving and sell in twenty years.  You'll be glad you did.