Bummed out, bad news

Be thankful you got to enjoy it while you could.  It will all be gone one way or anther soon enough.   The worst part of over population and over development, is that its what most people want.  Those tacky subdivisions make most peoples mouths water.  That's the American dream.    

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Possumtown

• terrym

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright. Looks like everyone pretty well agrees. The world is spiraling down the hopper. Here’s my suggestion: lets all pool our resources and you guys can come up here and we buy a great big chu

And every bit as delectable!! I told my cardiologist what was in it and HE had a heart attack!!

I don't see any 'got to have kids' campaign. Maybe I am missing something. Having children is the most life changing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. Not for everybody, but I highly r

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Big Al said:

Can't beat it join it.  Buy a piece of ground where the growth is moving and sell in twenty years.  You'll be glad you did.

I probably don't have 20 years and couldn't stomach  joining in on destroying somebody else's home 20 years down the road. But that's missing the point, it's the connection to this place where my family has lived since before Tennessee organized itself into a State. To the land and the people,where you knew most everyone nearby, you had the same heros, voted the same way pretty much etc. Everybody had a shared history and lived and saw things pretty much the same....stability.

What we have now is people flooding in that have no connection with the history here and could care less about it, they have no idea what farm belonged to which family, what it once looked like or anything else. It's become a community of strangers which have no roots with nothing really connecting them but the common experience of a 1/3 acre lot with a cookie cutter house sitting on it. It's pitiful.  

Years ago I got caught trying to smuggle books and shoes into Tennessee. They kicked out and said don't come back Yankee.  

57 minutes ago, GANGGREEN said:

I'm a yankee and I've considered retiring, at least seasonally, to middle or eastern TN.  That said, I can fully appreciate Possumtown's frustration and his perspective.  I've been down in that country at least 4 times scouting things out, looking at different areas, checking out real estate, etc. and even I think that some of the pretty parts of the state are getting over-populated and it's clear that a pretty high percentage of those people are new retirees from places like NY, Chicago and even from California and Florida.  Personally I'm probably a lot closer to a southern redneck politically and philosophically than to the average "yankee" that moves down there; I think my neighbors will like me and think I'll fit in the community fine, but like I said, I can fully understand the frustration.  

I can fully understand also. We've all lost hunting ground and fields close to where we grew up that are now bustling strip malls. But let's not blame it on the Yankee's, they're only the buyers.  If people want to blame development then blame it on the sellers which I'm sure weren't Yankee's.  Calling people Yankee's in a discouraging sentence is like inserting country bumpkin in lieu of Yankee.  Neither of which holds any water in my mind, it shows total ignorance of the real problem  which is overpopulation everywhere, not where people come from.

Possumtown, I can sympothize. I grew up where my dad use to walk out the back door and hunt pheasant for miles on end.  Now it's all houses and streets.  Even the orphanage where I spent way to many years and the cemetery where my wife and I have plots is now a shrine to Guadalupe with an annual pilgrimage that shuts the surrounding roads for days.  It sucks big time but in all my years the only thing I have come up with to fight it is good memories  of what use to be.  I hope you can find some peace in that.

Virgil  

2 minutes ago, Possumtown said:

I probably don't have 20 years and couldn't stomach  joining in on destroying somebody else's home 20 years down the road. But that's missing the point, it's the connection to this place where my family has lived since before Tennessee organized itself into a State. To the land and the people,where you knew most everyone nearby, you had the same heros, voted the same way pretty much etc. Everybody had a shared history and lived and saw things pretty much the same....stability.

What we have now is people flooding in that have no connection with the history here and could care less about it, they have no idea what farm belonged to which family, what it once looked like or anything else. It's become a community of strangers which have no roots with nothing really connecting them but the common experience of a 1/3 acre lot with a cookie cutter house sitting on it. It's pitiful.  

Sorry to say that the same thing is happening all over the USA.  Your not alone with your feeling.  Come up by me sometime (your more than welcome) and listen to the Russian and Polish being spoken everywhere.  Never heard that until about 20-25 years ago and know all to well the feeling of strangers with no roots and a community of strangers that once enough money is made will move back to their mother country.  It's sad that some people just don't want to put down roots and be a part of something.

Virgil

Population of USA in 1942   135 million.  (year I was born.)

Population of USA in 2018   329 million.

Not much more to say, except sadly my grandchildren will never see or do what we experienced. 

I think this is a situation we have all faced, are facing at the moment, or will face in the near future..

I fully understand the feelings and sentiments involved. I wish I had an answer... but I don't.

2 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Sorry to say that the same thing is happening all over the USA.  Your not alone with your feeling.  Come up by me sometime (your more than welcome) and listen to the Russian and Polish being spoken everywhere.  Never heard that until about 20-25 years ago and know all to well the feeling of strangers with no roots and a community of strangers that once enough money is made will move back to their mother country.  It's sad that some people just don't want to put down roots and be a part of something.

Virgil

Yeah, you're right. I really didn't mean to be offensive and apologize to anyone if I was,but it is the truth, around here I hear the northern accent everywhere all the time to the point that it is very noticeable so that is the part of the country people are moving from. I'm not saying folks from the north are any worse or better than the native people here,( I know a lot of Tennessee born jerks around here)  I'm sure the majority of them are fine people, I just wish they had moved somewhere else.

I guess hearing the news on that farm just tripped my wire, I'm gonna have to drive past it twice a day and watch it die. It was 1 of 2 large farms left here,all the rest are already gone.

1 minute ago, Possumtown said:

Yeah, you're right. I really didn't mean to be offensive and apologize to anyone if I was,but it is the truth, around here I hear the northern accent everywhere all the time to the point that it is very noticeable so that is the part of the country people are moving from. I'm not saying folks from the north are any worse or better than the native people here,( I know a lot of Tennessee born jerks around here)  I'm sure the majority of them are fine people, I just wish they had moved somewhere else.

I guess hearing the news on that farm just tripped my wire, I'm gonna have to drive past it twice a day and watch it die. It was 1 of 2 large farms left here,all the rest are already gone.

Speaking as a New Yawker... I understand your frustration completely!

24 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Years ago I got caught trying to smuggle books and shoes into Tennessee. They kicked out and said don't come back Yankee.  

Lol, Some of your neighbors were more persistent!

And yet with a birth rate less than yhe death rate without immigrants the economy will collapse. This country was founded by immigrants, made by immigrants and immigrants will be the salvation of the country.  I've ridden my motorcycle back and forth across the country multiple times over the past 6 years. There is plenty of room for more people.  Change has always been frightening.  

Samuel Hoggson

Suburban sprawl isn't a pressing concern here in the D-F, nor is it likely to become one soon.  Many reasons - some of it relates to economic realities of welfare states. 

And most people don't want to live where they can't walkabout - sans snow-shoe flotation - 3-4 months/annum.  Or where the roads are cruel to their Porsche 911s.

But this thread reinforces our intention to stay in D-F for the duration.........assuming my tractor and blower return.  😟      

10 minutes ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Suburban sprawl isn't a pressing concern here in the D-F, nor is it likely to become one soon.  Many reasons - some of it relates to economic realities of welfare states. 

And most people don't want to live where they can't walkabout - sans snow-shoe flotation - 3-4 months/annum.  Or where the roads are cruel to their Porsche 911s.

But this thread reinforces our intention to stay in D-F for the duration.........assuming my tractor and blower return.  😟      

I saw the D-F in your post and thought you were talking about Dallas-Ft. Worth and I'm thinking "suburban sprawl not a problem, WHAT".  Then I saw where you really are.😀

12 minutes ago, bigjohnsd said:

And yet with a birth rate less than yhe death rate without immigrants the economy will collapse. This country was founded by immigrants, made by immigrants and immigrants will be the salvation of the country.  I've ridden my motorcycle back and forth across the country multiple times over the past 6 years. There is plenty of room for more people.  Change has always been frightening.  

I'm not sure I agree here. This country was founded by revolutionary secessionist in the colonies, made by pioneers and sustained by them. The immigrants came later after the heavy lifting was done. As for "salvation", I would substitute 'transformation".  I guess we may see things differently and that's fine. 

30 minutes ago, bigjohnsd said:

There certainly is a lot of room, but what is lacking is the industry to support those that may fill the space.

Like pretty much everything else---humans and their institutions don't think long term.