• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Possumtown

• terrym

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright. Looks like everyone pretty well agrees. The world is spiraling down the hopper. Here’s my suggestion: lets all pool our resources and you guys can come up here and we buy a great big chu

And every bit as delectable!! I told my cardiologist what was in it and HE had a heart attack!!

I don't see any 'got to have kids' campaign. Maybe I am missing something. Having children is the most life changing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. Not for everybody, but I highly r

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, terrym said:

44 minutes ago, terrym said:

It’s as Canadian as maple syrup. 

And every bit as delectable!! I told my cardiologist what was in it and HE had a heart attack!!

In defense of grits, it's like rice - only as good as what you have mixed in it.  Nobody eats either just plain, same with taters.  I like grits with butter and a little maple syrup mixed in with eggs over easy, wheat toast and bacon.  

21 hours ago, spinfly said:

Well, there go my plans to move to TN in a few years. Any states out there welcoming transplants?

Why sure. 😊

17 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

In defense of grits, it's like rice - only as good as what you have mixed in it.  Nobody eats either just plain, same with taters.  I like grits with butter and a little maple syrup mixed in with eggs over easy, wheat toast and bacon.  

according to my cousin...Vinny...grits should take at least twenty minutes to cook.

Grits are made from corn or hominy corn and are corn boiled till all the water is absorbed. Essentially the same as cornmeal but white corn is used for grits while yellow or white use for fried cornmeal mush. We Yankees like our cornmeal fried. NO self respectin southerner uses instant grits, I understand.

Both grits and rice have the ability to pair with anything edible and make a complete meal.

Can't have fried fish or fried eggs without grits and can't have stew or chili without rice. 

21 hours ago, spinfly said:

Well, there go my plans to move to TN in a few years. Any states out there welcoming transplants?

Cross Maine off your list. There is a certain degree of animosity towards out of staters, transplants, flatlanders. Just is. Especially if you are from MA, since it seems there are a load of MA expats here, myself included. Same reasons as already discussed. Mainers (those actually born here) generally hate change, and it's not uncommon for new residents to start changing things to what they left. The biggest problem is they tend to arrive with fresh posted signs and have a knee jerk reaction to nailing them up like a dog peeing on its yard boundaries. This stings for hunters of all stripes in a state with legal access to private property if not Posted. Personally I never took it all that serious and assimilated quite well for the last 30+ years. It's only  when I talk and my Boston accent dribbles out do I get razzed by my contemporaries.

FWIW, I love Poutine. There is a little restaurant in Jackman ME that serves a nice goopy brown gravy drenched version. Oops, Hotspotting Poutine...

PA welcomes invaders, I mean immigrants cause this state is losing residents. We don't have that much to hunt and the fishing isn't that great, we have the highest gasoline tax in the nation and mediocre roads. High tax on tobacco products that are not used to help you get off tobacco but to help pay for child healthcare and the state has 57 billion in state pension debt and PA has the highest amount of outstanding college tuition debt. SO we are number 1 in somethings. It's pretty good for retired people I hear because the politicians are always complaining how good old people have it and how that should change. So come on over, real estate prices are pretty good! 

I like grits and I'm going to check out a recipe for poutine as I think I have the culinary talent for it.

Cornmeal mush and eggs. Ignore the presentation as I make this only for myself:

414130886.jpg

Man I loved cornmeal mush as a kid.  Kurt's is perfectly done .  I don't know this for certain but I don't think it's available in TX.  Kurt's picture above is a bringing it back.  Used to fry it in really hot bacon grease.  That picture could use two slices of oatmeal bread toast and 6 slices of medium thick bacon.  BTW Kurt, you forgot about State Stores for wines and spirits for describing PA today.  

Since this thread is about losing land to development, this happened outside of PGH decades ago.  In the '60's you could drive in any direction outside the city of PGH for less than an hour and get into great pheasant, rabbit & grouse hunting.  In those days, there were very few turkey and a deer sighting was pretty rare.  Cranberry in southern Butler County just north of Allegheny County where PGH is was nothing but farmland and fields.  Clueless 1 will know this location:  where 228 and 19 intersect, the NW corner was a large farm that had really great hunting especially for phez and bunnies.  My older brother and his friends hunted it and knew the owner.  That entire area today, starting around the mid '70's, is a giant exurb of PGH with all kinds of housing and even many large companies up there.  It's not a matter of IF when you live near a large metro area, it is a matter of WHEN it will get co-opted.  

21 hours ago, WyomingArt said:

Population of USA in 1942   135 million.  (year I was born.)

Population of USA in 2018   329 million.

I would guess the residential footprint on the landscape has increased more than threefold, probably much, much more.

The number of square residential and lawn feet per person is now probably an order of magnitude greater than what it was in 1942.  That's a choice we've made.  We could have gone the greenbelt route like Toronto or London, but we didn't.

We could easily accommodate the increased population @bigjohnsd rightly realizes that we need without destroying all the open greenspace, we just need to cut it out with the three acre ranchettes and using full sized tractors as personal mowers.

One reason I live where I do is that the population is decreasing.  Two cars at a stop sign is a traffic jam.  Development is a blackening of the clouds with rain on the way.  The three major reasons people come from away are hunting, fishing and vacation.

I have seen very little negativity towards folks from away.  Way more than half of the locals have lived in MA at one time or have family and friends there.  There is far more critical comment hurled at Southern Mainers who are considered turncoats and accepting of non-traditional values.

Nothing much happens hereabouts.  We are mostly fifty or more years behind the times.  Works for me.  Time for my nap.

Perk