Bummed out, bad news

1 hour ago, caleb said:

We could easily accommodate the increased population @bigjohnsd rightly realizes that we need without destroying all the open greenspace, we just need to cut it out with the three acre ranchettes and using full sized tractors as personal mowers.

Just because we "could" doesn't mean we "should". 

As for me, I'd rather shoot my self in the face than live in Asian style micro-apartments or "coffin homes".  Not even sure if I could keep my finger off the trigger if I had to live in an urban townhouse.  I'll keep my two acre ranchette with chickens, dogs and Cub Cadet.  Its still claustrophobic to me, but a heck of a lot better than most people live.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Possumtown

• terrym

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright. Looks like everyone pretty well agrees. The world is spiraling down the hopper. Here’s my suggestion: lets all pool our resources and you guys can come up here and we buy a great big chu

And every bit as delectable!! I told my cardiologist what was in it and HE had a heart attack!!

I don't see any 'got to have kids' campaign. Maybe I am missing something. Having children is the most life changing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. Not for everybody, but I highly r

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MAArcher said:

As for me, I'd rather shoot my self in the face than live in Asian style micro-apartments or "coffin homes".  Not even sure if I could keep my finger off the trigger if I had to live in an urban townhouse.  I'll keep my two acre ranchette with chickens, dogs and Cub Cadet.  Its still claustrophobic to me, but a heck of a lot better than most people live.

Haven't we tried to rehome you to a more appropriate habitat multiple times without success?

🐻🦊🦁🐶🐔🐥🦆🦌🏹

Around here the land they are developing would make Europeans blow a vein. If you’ve been In Austria, Germany and Switzerland and seen the tiny little plateaus they cultivate up the side of a mountain it makes you think about wiping out fabulous farmland for housing. Then again people need homes and around here we’re the first to criticize city dwellers. So when they sell thier $2 million dollar homes in Toronto and actually buy enough property that they also need a lawnmower can we blame them?

11 hours ago, Kurt said:

PA welcomes invaders, I mean immigrants cause this state is losing residents. We don't have that much to hunt and the fishing isn't that great, we have the highest gasoline tax in the nation and mediocre roads. High tax on tobacco products that are not used to help you get off tobacco but to help pay for child healthcare and the state has 57 billion in state pension debt and PA has the highest amount of outstanding college tuition debt. SO we are number 1 in somethings. It's pretty good for retired people I hear because the politicians are always complaining how good old people have it and how that should change. So come on over, real estate prices are pretty good! 

I like grits and I'm going to check out a recipe for poutine as I think I have the culinary talent for it.

Cornmeal mush and eggs. Ignore the presentation as I make this only for myself:

414130886.jpg

That looks fabulous! Only thing that might possibly be better is if the mush were scrapple!

Polenta or grits better brother is often termed mursh rather than mush.....fried mursh.

fwtw

15 hours ago, MAArcher said:

I have always felt a bit different, an outcast in society when it comes to where I have to live. I can never get my head around how some people live packed together in houses like boxes stacked in a UPS truck. But that's how many people choose and want to live, and they seem to like and prefer it. My inlaws are city type folks. When they visited us in Maine they hardly left the house, and I swear that neither ever walked the 50 yards out back to my garden. Nice people, living a life on concrete and pavement. The last house they owned before entering old age and apartment living was in a small development in RI. I called it "Box Village". It was surreal, like a Tim Burton movie. Rectangular small houses all in a row, all the same except for a few different colored vinyl siding, all set in a maze like pattern. It actually made me uneasy at a visceral level. You could get lost in that development if not careful. One of my biggest fears is someday being forced to live in a congested area.

Dave in Maine
On 2/5/2019 at 6:44 PM, TB Owl said:

When I was a teenager in Jr. High and High school in the 70's there was much talk about "Zero Population Growth" among other things like adopting the Metric System and Earth Day etc.....

What the Hell happened to the idea that maybe we are simply over populating  the planet never mind our own country.  One of my pet peeves that doesn't get any traction anymore.😡

Everybody likes sex.

Everyone gets sold on the "gotta have kids" idea, and they do.

The vast majority of the kids you went to school with in the 70s, coming from families with 3, 4, 5, 6 kids, well, tehy all have families of their own now.  So now there's a house for each and cars and trucks and all the rest, and they have kids who are being sold on get married, have kids, buy house, buy more stuff.

Sometimes it makes me wish for a good-sized outbreak of ... plague or something incurable or whatever.  Good sense is the one thing there hasn't been an outbreak of.

Ah !! The wheels of progress ! My take on this is everybody likes the smart phone though. In life you have to roll with the punch's. One area fills up~ you move on if you don't like what you are seeing. For me ~ Counting since I was born I have moved 3 times because i have found I don't care to live so close to others. But that's me .

I don't see any 'got to have kids' campaign. Maybe I am missing something. Having children is the most life changing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. Not for everybody, but I highly recommend it.

8 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I don't see any 'got to have kids' campaign. Maybe I am missing something. Having children is the most life changing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. Not for everybody, but I highly recommend it.

Grins and grimaces both....be it 1 child or more....grins win out.

I reckon I have a different target for a plague.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:57 PM, MAArcher said:

I'm with You and Brad, I had to do the subdivision thing when I first got married and I ain't going back ...ever.  I'd just as soon brush my teeth with a .45.

You guys crack me up.  Europe 3.9 million sq miles.  Population 740,000,000

USA 3.8 million sq. miles.  Population 330,000,000.  Europe is essentially the same size as the US with more than double the population.  Europe for all it's faults and population is still functioning.   

The increase in the size of government is a much greater risk to us than an increase in the number of people.

I know most of us would like it to be like it used to be but that's not happening and I'm not trading in any of my children or grandchildren.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:44 PM, TB Owl said:

When I was a teenager in Jr. High and High school in the 70's there was much talk about "Zero Population Growth" among other things like adopting the Metric System and Earth Day etc.....

What the Hell happened to the idea that maybe we are simply over populating  the planet never mind our own country.  One of my pet peeves that doesn't get any traction anymore.😡

I'm not saying people shouldn't have children.  Full disclosure, I don't have any myself as I married late in life and chose not to. Blessed with lots of nieces and nephews however.😁 What I am saying is I would like to see more discussion on the topic of encouraging responsible growth that is sustainable and that takes into consideration the quality of life for all of us.  This can include suburban sprawl, population growth, use of resources, public lands etc..Population growth is one part of it from normal birthrates to immigration etc...

The planet and our country are finite in size and resources and we should be more cognizant of that.  I for one don't want to become like China, India, or Europe for that matter.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:12 PM, Possumtown said:

I'm not sure I agree here. This country was founded by revolutionary secessionist in the colonies, made by pioneers and sustained by them. The immigrants came later after the heavy lifting was done. As for "salvation", I would substitute 'transformation".  I guess we may see things differently and that's fine. 

The "Colonists" were not "Immigrants?  Just ask those unfortunate people from whom the Colonists appropriated their new place to live.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:25 PM, john mcg said:

There certainly is a lot of room, but what is lacking is the industry to support those that may fill the space.

Like pretty much everything else---humans and their institutions don't think long term.

With Immigrants comes Industry - may not be what the "Industry" that our fathers and forefathers were employed in but when you add people you add industry as well.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:26 PM, jeff88 said:

Then I'm all mixed up:  One grandmother was 7th generation farmer in W PA, that is well before the Revolutionary War.  The other Grandmother was 1st generation German.  Both Grandfather's were 2nd generation Irishmen.  

I'd like to be there in the afterlife when someone tells one of my Grandads they did no "heavy Lifting", or scores of my PGH forefathers from E Europe, Italy and Ireland who worked the steel mills and dug coal how easy they had it.  There will always be heavy lifting in this country in order to keep it free and prosperous.  And unless you are a Native American, you are an immigrant.  

Absolutely correct.  I have family that came to Massachusets in the mid-1600s, I have family that fled the Irish Potatoe Famine, I have family that fled the draft of the Austro-Hungarian empire in the 1870's.  All immigrants, all did their share of "Heavy Lifting".  And don't leave out the "Heavy Lifting" done by those of the "Greatest Generation".  The consequences of not defeating the Axis powers in WW2 are unknowable.  Certainly the "Immigrants" lifted more than their share in that war.

Finally, without Immigrants our economy, built on consumption, can not continue to grow.  The birthrate of us old Natural "Muricans is right at or below the replacement rate.  Somebody has to work to pay our Social Security.  JSNS