Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WABBIT-SLAYER

2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Turbo V-6

Recommended Posts

bigjohnsd

I have a 17 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO with a 10-speed transmission and 3.43 rear gears.  It tows my 5,000 # Travel Trailer like it wasn't back there.

My buddy has a 2.7 Eco similarly equipped, his trailer is 6,000#, he says the same thing.  

 

We both get the same mileage when traveling together pulling our trailers, it takes the same amount of BTU's to pull the brick through the air, weight means less than Frontal Area when towing a light Travel Trailer.

 

Around town, he gets about 1 mpg better than I do on average.

 

In the summer I get 18-19 Average not towing. In the winter I get 16-17  average not towing. I have heavier winter tires and wheels and run in 4-Auto frequently.

 

I wouldn't be afraid of the 2.7 Eco at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WI Outdoor Nut
5 hours ago, chilly460 said:

I pulled a '63 Mercury on a car trailer from Va to mountains of Georgia, and Va to northern PA with my 2.7L, 6000lb or so.  No doubt a 3.5 is better, but I've had a 2001 Lightning 5.4L supercharged, 2004 5.4L F150, 2009 5.3L Silverado, 93 Lightning 5.8L Supercharged....and the 2.7L is a better towing motor than all of them.  Saying it is not appropriate for towing > 2000lb is not at all something I'd agree with.  

I am okay to agree to disagree.  I'm sure it did fine, but not something I would want to do on a regular basis.  I also see guys pulling much bigger loads than one should with certain vehicles.  Yup, it can do it, just not what I would do.  Actually, I don't even like the 5.3L GM power plant (and now I am sure stirring the nest).  The torque curve on that motor is at very high RPM's.  So when pulling, your tranny will downshift a few gears to make it up the hill, or when fighting a headwind.  The newer transmissions of 8 and 10 speeds certainly help however. 

 

FWIW - I am not a chevy, Toyota, Dodge or Ford guy - have owned 2 chevys, 2 Toyotas, and 2 fords.  Just buy what I think is best for me.  Right now, for what I pull, it is either going to be a 3/4 ton, or a Ford with the 3.5 eco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

I have had 3 turbo motors and 4 - 5.0. The 3.5 motor is usually $550-1000 more than the 5.0 depending on the year. After driving both quite a bit I still like the 5.0 more and I would never buy the smaller turbo motor. If they get rid of the 5.0 and only gave a turbo option in a truck like they are doing with the other vehicles I will probably be looking at a different brand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zkight89

In another year or so I'll comment on the longevity/ durability when towing. But for 50,000 miles our 2.7's have towed the 26' travel trailer we stay in for work from Florida to New Jersey and West to Oklahoma and Texas, most of the states between also without a hitch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sidelock

I don't know if the newer Ecoboost engines have any serious issues but a few years back when i was looking to purchase a truck, I did a google search for "Ecoboost issues" and i was blown away with all the issues from timing chain, intake, condensation in the cylynders, blow by etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marsingbob

A couple of points.  First, when you compare diesel vs gas prices, and the additional cost of a diesel engine, how do any of you make sense out of a small diesel unless you are driving 40,000 miles a year?  Second, maybe Ford has its stuff together on the new small diesel engine, but remember these are the folks that brought you the 6.0 diesel, which ran great for 70,000 or 80,000 miles.  If dthey start failing, you car is going to be a dog to resell.

  I have diesel tractors, had an older Dodge Cummins for 20 years, and understand diesels pretty well but I would not buy a diesel light truck today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
River19

I believe people are in a tennis match on the validity of the 2.7L with "I wouldn't" vs. "I would" and a few "Well I have's" in the mix.

 

Around that were general comments about the "light truck" market in general. I don't think anyone has touched off an internet favorite gas vs. diesel debate yet..... but we all know how that will go if it does get touched off.

 

I will claim ownership of mentioning the availabiity of small diesels in this market in an earlier post and if that begins the gas vs. diesel debate then buckle up lol....

 

I believe (and Dogrunner might know better) but that small diesel in the F-150 has been in service elsewhere in the world for a number of years with success.

 

Meanwhile, I will climb back into my foxhole in case a full blow webernet  war between gas heads and oil burners breaks out....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john mcg

I'm wondering how the new Ford Ranger will play out as compared to the Canyon/Colorado, Frontier and Taco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zkight89
6 minutes ago, john mcg said:

I'm wondering how the new Ford Ranger will play out as compared to the Canyon/Colorado, Frontier and Taco.

What motor are they putting in it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john mcg
3 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

What motor are they putting in it?

The same 2.3 liter than is in the Mustang.

10 speed tranny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zkight89

I don't know much about that motor. The last few models of Ranger were kind of disappointing, not as good of mileage as you'd expect and not much power....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
River19

For what it's worth, the comparison I saw between the three summarized as the Tacoma feels most like a "truck" (read as slightly outdated, loud and rough ride), the Ranger is in the middle and the GM/GMC offering was the most "car-like" with its ride and from what I gathered probably more feature laden.  That being said, they are all priced in the same range as full size, so that is the typical interweb debate.....why go "smaller".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john mcg
5 minutes ago, River19 said:

For what it's worth, the comparison I saw between the three summarized as the Tacoma feels most like a "truck" (read as slightly outdated, loud and rough ride), the Ranger is in the middle and the GM/GMC offering was the most "car-like" with its ride and from what I gathered probably more feature laden.  That being said, they are all priced in the same range as full size, so that is the typical interweb debate.....why go "smaller".

Yup---depending on where you are likely to take it off-road...tighter quarters and such. Maybe gas mileage.

I really enjoyed my Frontier and know that motor very well as I've had it in 4 vehicles over the years, but the mileage isn't great.

Plenty of low end power and very capable stock.

I'm not likely to ever buy new again, so I'm just playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DonT

I'm a GMC guy that went to the dark side when I purchased a new 2016 F150 5.0 Super crew 6.5' bed, really like this truck and engine.  I have friends that own and have drove all 3 engines, 2.7,3.5 and 5.0 they are all good, they just do things differently.   I average around 17 MPG in the winter with 3.55 gears and LT all terrain tires, I would get better if I drove the highway more and or didn't drive so fast, the 5.0 is just too much fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
18 hours ago, River19 said:

I believe people are in a tennis match on the validity of the 2.7L with "I wouldn't" vs. "I would" and a few "Well I have's" in the mix.

 

Around that were general comments about the "light truck" market in general. I don't think anyone has touched off an internet favorite gas vs. diesel debate yet..... but we all know how that will go if it does get touched off.

 

I will claim ownership of mentioning the availabiity of small diesels in this market in an earlier post and if that begins the gas vs. diesel debate then buckle up lol....

 

I believe (and Dogrunner might know better) but that small diesel in the F-150 has been in service elsewhere in the world for a number of years with success.

 

Meanwhile, I will climb back into my foxhole in case a full blow webernet  war between gas heads and oil burners breaks out....

Pretty sure the motor is new I think it is the 2.7 block and other stuff is change for the diesel conversion and built overseas. Ford got tired of Navistar screwing them over and design and build there own diesels now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×