WABBIT-SLAYER

2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Turbo V-6

River19
59 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Pretty sure the motor is new I think it is the 2.7 block and other stuff is change for the diesel conversion and built overseas. Ford got tired of Navistar screwing them over and design and build there own diesels now. 

Fun stuff.  I am guessing they held back on the output of that engine for the first couple model years as it is easy to "add power" in a later iteration with a turbo diesel.  Reason I mention this is the reviews of the "little powerstroke" say it gets great fuel economy but really poor power at highway speeds and poor towing performance.  So again, all about what people plan to use the truck for.  I'm guessing in a couple years that engine will be 280hp/490(ish) vs. the 250/440 it is today.

jeff88

In the past I've considered getting a diesel engine in a car and passed.  Doing the math:  The Fed says for tax purposes a vehicle is about 50 cents a mile.  This is the total burdened cost of operation.  Fuel accounts for about 1/8 of that (I believe).  Then let's say the delta for fuel mileage is about 20% lower diesel/gas.  We are looking at 1% of the total ops cost.  From what I see, diesel costs more from a capital outlay.  I don't see the value proposition for diesel unless you put a ton of miles on every year.  There is however a performance prop, a diesel is certainly the best way to go for hauling/towing.  Still, I'd likely go with the bigger gas V8 for the heaviest loads and not sweat the gas mileage.  Finally, another item that favors gas to me is the price volatility is lower than diesel, I've seen diesel as high as 89 to 93 octane fuels.  

Clueless1

I've got a 2014 3.5 Eco (3.23 gears I believe, would have to go look for sure and it's cold out:)) with about 85,000 on it.  Moved from a 2001 5.4L.  Western PA is just going to get the bottom numbers on anything MPG wise.  You are either going uphill or downhill.  When I had it out west I was consistently getting over 20mpg.  For winter I have a cap on and all the other hunting junk, along with all terrain tires has knocked me down to teh 15mpg or so range.  Summer without the topper and the extra couple hundred pounds of hunting stuff I'm about 18-18.5.

I'm a guy that will have 200,000 on it before I even think of moving on.  (barring some catastrophic issue that makes me not trust it anymore). 

I tow a few times a year, ~4,000# boat.  This platform runs rings around my 5.4.  Not even a question.  It's gaining speed up some of these hills while even with a run at it the 5.4 was losing speed. 

dogrunner
On 2/14/2019 at 12:36 PM, john mcg said:

I'm wondering how the new Ford Ranger will play out as compared to the Canyon/Colorado, Frontier and Taco.

Here’s an old school Ranger 1984. The new one is in high demand and just starting to hit the streets. 

C4187920-8EB1-43FB-A4ED-95061ADA9CEE.jpeg

dogrunner
6 hours ago, River19 said:

Fun stuff.  I am guessing they held back on the output of that engine for the first couple model years as it is easy to "add power" in a later iteration with a turbo diesel.  Reason I mention this is the reviews of the "little powerstroke" say it gets great fuel economy but really poor power at highway speeds and poor towing performance.  So again, all about what people plan to use the truck for.  I'm guessing in a couple years that engine will be 280hp/490(ish) vs. the 250/440 it is today.

Not sure if they held back or not but my feeling is they are about 5 years to late with this motor offering.  Lots of people always said they wanted one in a 150 but when it’s time to buy it they change there mind. Not sure how good it’s selling but I have seen one and it’s very quiet for a diesel. 

Chief Paduke

I have +- 36,000 miles on mine. Overall mpg is 19.9. Highway mileage runs about 22.5 unless it’s windy. Wind seems to really knock it down. I had a head/valve issue that had them replaced under warranty, which seems to be a fairly common occurrence. I really like the truck, I just wish the dealer had been more forthcoming about the head/valve issue early on. The issue began at about5,000 miles. I would get black smoke for 30 seconds after startup, when sitting overnight. It didn’t do it every time. I left it overnight at the dealer and they didn’t see anything. It became more frequent, and at 23,000 miles I had some good videos, so I took it in again and the dealer replaced the heads and valves. 

jeff88
On 2/15/2019 at 1:29 PM, dogrunner said:

Not sure if they held back or not but my feeling is they are about 5 years to late with this motor offering.  Lots of people always said they wanted one in a 150 but when it’s time to buy it they change there mind. Not sure how good it’s selling but I have seen one and it’s very quiet for a diesel. 

Talk about getting your mind changed, this time by a Ford sales person:  Friday night we got together with our dinner group - cajun/Mardi Gras, whoa!  Anyway, one of the couples do endurance horseback riding.  I asked Jack why he bought his Tundra with the v8 instead of the f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost.  He hauls a two horse trailer with is Tundra almost every weekend.  Jack told me the Ford salesman told him not to get the v6 but to get the v8 to haul that trailer.  (Jack says the trailer with their two horses in it is 6k + lbs.)  This was 4 years ago.  He said the Ford salesman also told him the ecoboost tech was too new and could not vouch for it being reliable for years of trailer towing.  Either that Ford salesman was trying really hard to steer Jack to the v8 based on on-hand inventory or what, Jack can't say for sure.  Based on what I'm reading above, seems like the v6 would have been more than adequate and given him better mileage; he drives the Tundra on mostly interstate about 90 miles round trip every day for work.

When Jack and Linda go on longer trips they often go with another couple who has a 4-6 horse trailer and use their truck - an f350 dually diesel.  When Jack drives it, he says it's like nothing is behind him when accelerating.  They usually have all 6 horse bays filled in the trailer and the trailer has a lot more space to carry a lot of other items like gear & feed.

River19

At this point the 3.5 EB is pretty documented and overall fairly reliable.  I have heard and read most Ford techs that work on both would buy and do buyt the 5.0 as it is easier to work on, is stout and can handle more power and for long term there are a lot less moving parts to maintain.  But I wouldn't hesitate to run a 3.5EB towing my horses (we tow a similar load at 6-7k).  Granted I tow with a Ram 2500 with the 6.4L as I want the stability and 3000lb+ payload.

I think that view of the EB is probably dated, it is a known entity now, both the good and bad.

Marc Ret

I do some work for a property management firm here. One of their holdings is a 51% share in a large Ford dealership in this area. When I met with my contact from the firm early last year, I noticed he no longer had his F250 but was driving a new F150. At one point, the conversation turned to his new truck and I commented it didn't sound like the 3.5 when he pulled in. He said no, he had opted for the 5.0. Naturally I asked why. His reply was that when he was given the choice of a new (free) truck (with free to him service), he spoke to the techs from the service dept and they all steered him away from the ecoboost engines given the issues they had seen up to that point. Granted, it's purely anecdotal but his comments would give me pause in regards to the 2.7 and 3.5 engines if I were in the market for a new F150. 

River19
14 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

I do some work for a property management firm here. One of their holdings is a 51% share in a large Ford dealership in this area. When I met with my contact from the firm early last year, I noticed he no longer had his F250 but was driving a new F150. At one point, the conversation turned to his new truck and I commented it didn't sound like the 3.5 when he pulled in. He said no, he had opted for the 5.0. Naturally I asked why. His reply was that when he was given the choice of a new (free) truck (with free to him service), he spoke to the techs from the service dept and they all steered him away from the ecoboost engines given the issues they had seen up to that point. Granted, it's purely anecdotal but his comments would give me pause in regards to the 2.7 and 3.5 engines if I were in the market for a new F150. 

Basically the same thing I heard and I ran into a random You Tube survey at a Ford dealer asking all the techs of what engine for F150.....like 85% chose the 5.0.  I'm guessing they would know.

Marc Ret
34 minutes ago, River19 said:

Basically the same thing I heard and I ran into a random You Tube survey at a Ford dealer asking all the techs of what engine for F150.....like 85% chose the 5.0.  I'm guessing they would know.

I think it's easier to find more negative vs. positive when researching vehicles online... People just like to bitch. I am glad to read so many of the responders to the OP have had good luck with their ecoboost engines but, for me, it lends considerable credence to what the property manager told me that it came straight from the techs and there was no sales BS involved as the truck and it's maintenance was a company perk. 

bobman

Turbocharged gasoline engines require a lot of sensors (and are more complicated than diesel turbocharged engines) until wide use of computer controlled fuel injection systems gas turbos were not even viable as daily drivers

when I buy a truck it’s to use as a truck I want simplicity and reliability combined with truck capability

fuel consumption is not important to me because if it’s being used as a truck pulling or carrying weight they all have to use a lot of fuel it’s basic physics

River19
10 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

I think it's easier to find more negative vs. positive when researching vehicles online... People just like to bitch. I am glad to read so many of the responders to the OP have had good luck with their ecoboost engines but, for me, it lends considerable credence to what the property manager told me that it came straight from the techs and there was no sales BS involved as the truck and it's maintenance was a company perk. 

Agree.

Flush
2 hours ago, bobman said:

Turbocharged gasoline engines require a lot of sensors (and are more complicated than diesel turbocharged engines) until wide use of computer controlled fuel injection systems gas turbos were not even viable as daily drivers

when I buy a truck it’s to use as a truck I want simplicity and reliability combined with truck capability

fuel consumption is not important to me because if it’s being used as a truck pulling or carrying weight they all have to use a lot of fuel it’s basic physics

Overall I agree....the only caveat I would add is that newer turbo diesels, strictly due to the new emission standards and all of the DEF sensors and exhaust injection systems are actually more complex than modern gasoline turbo engines. 

bobman

Yep that’s why I’m running gas it’s a shame how govt ruins good things with well intended but stupid regulations 

I believe if you live in the sticks you can delete that stuff on the Cummins 

We don’t have inspections where I live