Globs of Whitetails

IMG_0990.JPG

All those Brown dots are Whitetails on a ranch we drove through in south central 'hill country' TX. (LBJ state and National Park/working ranch) Middle of the day. Had to be 100 give or take with many out of the camera shot. There are also a load of urban Whitetails all around where we are staying. Tiny bodied compared to northern Whitetails. Stopped counting road kill deer. Most have a gang of vultures picking at them. Now I know why most of the pick up trucks around here have those grill guards to protect grill and headlights. We haven't seen any feral hogs yet. 

Looks like a southern thumb Michigan field minus the trees. Go on a deer hunt for your vacation. 

This is insane for a Northeast resident deer enthusiast. We are in the Canyon Lake area of TX Hill Country. Took a cruise at dusk last night and the amount of deer feeding out in the open, crossing roads and generally meandering about was totally crazy. Too many to count. Some nice bucks if you like rack size over body size. They are generally ignored by everyone outside of trying not to hit them with vehicles, which happens a lot given the road kill. In Maine we stop the car to look at a single deer 1/2 mile back in the corner of a field!

Back in the 70's we used to go up to some friends summer house in the Poconos in PA.  One night we went out spotlighting deer (Probably illegal to do) and we counted over 150 deer. 

1 hour ago, paul frey said:

Back in the 70's we used to go up to some friends summer house in the Poconos in PA.  One night we went out spotlighting deer (Probably illegal to do) and we counted over 150 deer. 

Deer spotting was just part of the fun of being a country kid through the mid 80s to the early 90s. It was nothing to see numbers like you saw in an hour or two of driving our favorite loops. Garry Alt, bonus tags and concurrent buck/doe seasons put an end to those days. 

IMG_0991.JPG

Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood TX...Burnt ends are permanently burned into my taste buds...that good.

Nothing like TX BBQ! Going on a TX "Deer Hunt" is on my bucket list. Over the years I've froze my butt off up north enough to deserve one luxury deer hunt IMHO!

32 minutes ago, WMassGriff said:

Nothing like TX BBQ! Going on a TX "Deer Hunt" is on my bucket list. Over the years I've froze my butt off up north enough to deserve one luxury deer hunt IMHO!

A deer hunt wasn't in the works this time. Not even sure if the hunting season is open. And I haven't seen any outfitters or signs about deer hunting on the ranches all over. I do see a load of grain stores with deer feeders, and deer feed all over.  I haven't seen any dead deer hanging or in trucks etc. I just came face to face with a pretty Doe on my morning stroll around the grounds. She just stood and stared, and I talked to her like some sort of whacko. At around 10 yards she eventually popped away. I did finally see a feral hog...dead by the side of the road, and a couple squashed armadillo, and a TX Roadrunner which was cool.

My last time in Texas ended up in San Antonio. If you get there be sure to check out the RiverWalk and the Alamo. I was sorely disappointed in the Alamo from my childhood remembrances of Davey Crockett!

Yep...but the Riverwalk at night is cool and San Antonio is nice a city...been there on business so someone else's dime...which over the years cost me 30+ lbs. LOL

On 2/13/2019 at 8:15 AM, Brad Eden said:

They are generally ignored by everyone outside of trying not to hit them with vehicles, which happens a lot given the road kill. In Maine we stop the car to look at a single deer 1/2 mile back in the corner of a field!

Growing up in Michigan it was the same way.  See a deer, stop the car.  In Montana there are so many deer in the alfalfa fields I don't even slow down, unless one is crossing the road in front of me.  I have friends come up to visit from other states and they are amazed at the number of deer.  I have to remember to stop so they can get a good look.  Makes for a long trip some times.

11 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

My last time in Texas ended up in San Antonio. If you get there be sure to check out the RiverWalk and the Alamo. I was sorely disappointed in the Alamo from my childhood remembrances of Davey Crockett!

11 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Yep...but the Riverwalk at night is cool and San Antonio is nice a city...been there on business so someone else's dime...which over the years cost me 30+ lbs. LOL

Agree. We hit the Riverwalk in San Antonio and had some Tex Mex along the banks. Also visited the Alamo. Seemed strange to see it in the middle of a city. We haven't had a bad bite to eat the whole trip (except for a quick stop at Sonic. Yuk) Really liked the town of Gruene along the Guadalupe River. Had Mexican for lunch their yesterday, and went back for dinner at a very cool restaurant called The Grist Mill. Live Country music was playing all over town in the evening. We had no idea what a winery destination this area is, much to JoAnns delight. Lots of wine tasting going on. So far we are very happy we chose this area for a winter respite. We may have been too early for the real warm weather and the greening an flowering up that Hill Country is renowned for, but it was worth it with the lack of crowds and lines everywhere. 

My teenage son and I have been on a couple semi guided hog hunts with an outfitter in North Central Texas.  They do deer, hog, turkey, and combo hunts.   They drop you off before dawn at a heated Cadillac of a blind overlooking feeders.  That’s how most deer and hog hunting is done there.  Then an hour or so after dawn my son and I would start walking and stalking the bedding areas, then they pick you up for lunch back at the ranch, then repeat, ending up over feeders at dusk.  It’s amazing the wildlife you will see in such a day.  As Brad says, to many deer to count, huge flocks of turkey, yotes everywhere the first and last hour, armadillos and frequent wildcats.  Interestingly we never saw a hog come to a feeder in two trips.  That was OK with me, I preferred walking and stalking their bedding areas.  We could have killed a lot of deer but worked hard for the hogs.And it’s quite a rush when you wake a big boar, he starts circling you in the heavy brush, the hair goes up on the back of his neck, and yours too.  Add some fantastic Texas BBQ by the ranch cook, and it’s a great hunting trip. Except for all the things that stick you in the wilds of Texas.