Globs of Whitetails

Interesting. We haven't seen a single turkey. They must have all migrated to Maine.

3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Interesting. We haven't seen a single turkey. They must have all migrated to Maine.

Or maybe they heard about your reputation amongst the turkey of Maine. 

On 2/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, Brad Eden said:

Not even sure if the hunting season is open.

The regular season was over I think on January 20 but ranches registered in a deer management plan can shoot deer until the end of February. I spent most of January in the Hill Country town of Bandera. Seeing boat loads of Axis deer and black buck is normal there. Also spent a week on a South Texas 6,000 acre ranch where I shot a management buck, a javalena, a Rio Grand, a hog and a coyote.

deer.JPG

turkey javelena.jpeg

Home. Spent the afternoon moving craploads of snow and slush and ice with the tractor. Thankfully a friend had plowed me out pretty good, but I wanted to really clean things up before everything froze up. I'll probably Post about the trip in another Forum later. Loved Texas Hill Country. 

15 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Loved Texas Hill Country. 

Agree. Starting next year I am going to spend January & February there in Bandera.

21 minutes ago, garyRI said:

Agree. Starting next year I am going to spend January & February there in Bandera.

Apparently, right now is the tail end of the Hill Country TX "winter". The weather ranged from a raw 44° when we arrived in Austin and was mid 80's when we flew out. The area is known for the beautiful flowers and spring early summer greening up etc,. A photographers dream from what I hear. We missed that but also missed the congestion, tourists, lines, traffic and lack of parking starting about.....now. I like slightly off season vacationing. Most everything was open, and we had a lot of hiking trails, restaurants, etc, etc pretty much to ourselves. My kind of vacation, if we ever return we may push it a little later next time to be better assured of warm weather. I wouldn't mind a Whitetail hunt at some point but am not jonesin for it. Just really enjoyed the area.

If anyone gets there drive the Access Road past the Canyon River Dam at dusk. It's a humongous dam with a sloping grassy area on the road side and along a drive to a high lookout point. They should charge admission for deer sightings...deer stream out of the surrounding area and descend upon the grassy slope. It's UNREAL. Too many to count, crossing in front of you, with herds feeding in the grass. Some nice bucks as well. Very cool.

I’ve ridden the bike all over Texas Hill Country in Springtime.

It is indeed beautiful country and as I discovered, Texas looks nothing like the Texas I had in mind.

Not the op but I like bbq.  Any kind.  Consider myself a connoisseur.    I don’t like beef bbq near as good as pork.  But I will try any   Love it. 

1 hour ago, mccuha said:

Not the op but I like bbq.  Any kind.  Consider myself a connoisseur.    I don’t like beef bbq near as good as pork.  But I will try any   Love it. 

A nice brisket can be very good. But I am with you... my favorite is is pulled pork from a slow cooked shoulder with Lexington sauce, pot beans, white bread and butter, slaw and a cold beer.. Heaven.

1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

See any snakes ?

Not a one. Not even sure what type snakes are in that area of TX.

7 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Not a one. Not even sure what type snakes are in that area of TX.

I imagine none I want to run into!

7 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Not even sure what type snakes are in that area of TX.

The Hill Country has water moccasins and rattlesnakes. Anyone who lives there year round can show you their rattle collection

I'm not afraid of snakes but am surprised that we didn't see a single warning about rattlers on the signs at trailheads. We hiked different trails every morning, many state maintained. Snakes never even crossed my mind. 

I was warned about rattlers but thankfully didn't see any hunting hogs. It was February but it got up to 90 a couple days we were there so they could be active. 

Did id you bring any tumbleweed back as a souvenir? We did, but then I realized it could be considered an invasive species. But it was to late. It's pictured below decorating the upper right of our mantle. It also was a prop in the local HS production of "Oklahoma". 

image.jpeg