REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
oatmeal

Astro 430 and battery life

oatmeal

So I recently updated my astro to a 430 w/T5 and cycled through a first set of AAs in the handheld. It went quite a bit faster than with my older 220. I understand and appreciate the 2.5sec updates, and feel it is a nice improvement. However, my question is, have any of you moved to rechargeables that you have found to have a long life, or come up with a good solution for preserving the non-rechargeables? I mean, perhaps I can turn off a bluetooth equivalent or something else I'm not using. Those AAs really didn't last long.

BlacknTan

I also noticed a marked decrease in battery life over the 220 system. I immediately purchased the Garmin rechargeables, and have been using them for more than a year in my 430/T5 combo with good success.

But, I switched the 430 back to 5 second updates, shortened the time the screen is lit, turned off the vibratory pager feature in an attempt to lengthen battery life. 

airmedic1

I bought four rechargeable batteries from Amazon to use in my Astro 430.  Even set on the 2.5 second update they will last all day and part of the next and I have the backlight set on 60 seconds.  Don't try to use regular AA's you will burn through them.  Here are the batteries I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZV9TGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they work well for me.

AM

blanked

I use the lithium AA.  It’s a non issue to me.  

Curt

Yep, battery life is far shorter than with the old 220.  I also use the AA Lithium batteries and simply accept the fact that I'll be changing them more often.

I normally carry  6 or 7 pairs of the AA Lithium batteries in a vest pocket just in case, hasn't been an issue so far.