REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Speaks

collar system, new idea

Speaks

So I have been debating the collar system that I want to run with my new pup. I have a dogtra T&B which is fine (obviously not using on the pup but on our other non-hunting dogs as a training collar), but I want tracking as well. What I had been thinking is to just add an alpha and run two collars on the dog. A 550 pro plus has some attraction as well, probably not as good a tracker, although it seems many use compass more than map, but a much more effective trainer. 

This got me thinking, what if you got an alpha and a pro plus. Carry just the pro plus in the yard and  both handhelds in the field set to one collar, generally use the pro plus but have the map one to grab if you want it. Also you would have some redundancy built in in case one hand held got messed up or lost, you have a back up collar too. Also since power supply as my cabin is sketchy you have enough juice to get through a long weekend without power in terms of both handhelds and collars. As an added bonus, the dogtra has become in invaluable tool for working with  my bloodhounds and boxers and I kind of hate to take it away from my wife when I leave to go hunting. 

Now this is not a cheap solution, coming in around $1450, although it could be less if I did just a handheld on one of the units. But it seems like the all around optimal set up. Alternatively if I did not want to take the dogtra along I could just get a pro plus and see if I ever felt the need to add an alpha. 

What do you all think?

dogrunner

I run a T&B and an Alpha, if power is sketchy get a car charger then you are covered. 

550+ and an Astro? 

I'll easily run a dog without an ecollar, but without GPS would give me a lot more hesitation... 

Plus, the training side of the Alpha is a good bit limited. 

DonT

Just some thoughts-     The Alpha and the 550 pro plus use the same collars - you may be able to have both the alpha and 550 plus work one collar, maybe at the same time.    You can purchase either hand held separately, with out the collar. 

If you only run 1 dog you can set 3 E collar buttons on the alpha to what ever you want.  Like low nick- high nick_ med continuous, or what ever, that may give you enough options for stim, it's just not easy to change settings on the fly.   This gives me a usable E collar for hunting but doesn't work all that well for training.  

I never use the map on my Alpha only the compass but I do like to look at miles run and speed and find my way back to the truck.

I may replace my old Tri Tronics training collar this year with a 550 pro (Non plus, too expensive) or a Dogtra Edge RT.    

greg jacobs

Use your training collar for training. Use the alpha for hunting. Customize the buttons. One for tone two and three for different levels of stimulation. That's plenty for hunting. My dogs bend on tone to control distance if need be.

dvmweb

Alpha.

I have used it since the get go. Nearly everyday. Two dogs. We wore out two collars. Garmin service is pretty good. I couldn't get along without it

Coveyrise64
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:06 PM, NECarson said:

......the training side of the Alpha is a good bit limited. 

I keep hearing that but not sure what it means. I have yet to find anything on the Pro550 that I cant repeat with the Alpha. Actually, I think the Alpha has more flexibility in the ways it can be configured.

cr

12 hours ago, Coveyrise64 said:

I keep hearing that but not sure what it means. I have yet to find anything on the Pro550 that I cant repeat with the Alpha. Actually, I think the Alpha has more flexibility in the ways it can be configured.

cr

Can't change levels on an Alpha with gloves, or without looking. Both of which I do often. 

Coveyrise64
10 hours ago, NECarson said:

Can't change levels on an Alpha with gloves, or without looking. Both of which I do often. 

Thanks....