REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
DAG

New! (to me) 2012 Tundra

DAG

Thanks for all the responses in my other Tundra thread. Not sure if I should have just continued it or start this one? Anyway, just picked up a 2012 Limited Crewmax and was wondering what I need/should do to it for next hunting season. Drove it home from Denver to Vail in a blizzard. Its a pleasure to drive and fits in my garage and my work garage. Getting used to 4x4 instead of AWD will take some time. Currently have one dog and a rough Tuff Kennel. As usual, any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance, David 

Brad Eden

Jealous. Happy for you, but jealous. You will push the button into 4HI somewhat often and less so if you have the weight if a cap and gear in the bed. (I keep Tube sand in my bed over the wheel wells. In winter)rarely if ever into 4L0. Unless you are seriously stuck. 

john mcg
8 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Jealous. Happy for you, but jealous. You will push the button into 4HI somewhat often and less so if you have the weight if a cap and gear in the bed. (I keep Tube sand in my bed over the wheel wells. In winter)rarely if ever into 4L0. Unless you are seriously stuck. 

A foot cube of Osmium worked well in the old days when gas was cheap as a pack of cigs.

GANGGREEN

I've always had some limited curiosity about the Tundra.  I literally just made the last payment on my 2014 Tacoma TRD Sport and it's been a good vehicle.  Because it held it's value VERY well, I consider trading it on a new one, but invariably I decide not to because the new ones are only marginally different than what I've got and not necessarily better in any way.  

DAG
31 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Thanks Brad! yeah, I learned almost immediately that I've been spoiled by AWD. Was wondering what kind of tires you have and how many pounds of sand you use. 

Brad Eden

I'm on my second set of General Grabber AT tires. The first set were AT2's and were replaced by the new ATX's. 10 or 15 ply I think. LOVE THEM. My '06 has almost 200k so I've had my share of tire brands. These are the best by far. My truck is the smaller first gen, nit the bigger rig you have, regardless, I have a fiberglass-cab high-cap and right now have about 200 lbs of sand and a filled tool box in bed. Also a poly/steel framed plow on front for most of winter that weighs about 500lbs. I pop it from 2wd to 4HI when icy, snowy, and when plowing. You shouldn't have the truck in 4wd on paved surfaces unless their is a lot of slush and some snow and ice. The gear heads can explain why better than I can.

oldbird

Running Michelins on my 2011 Tundra double cab. Have 20 inch wheels so selection was somewhat limited. I was really happy with my first set nearly 80,000 mi. I run tube sand also plus a tool box.Dog rides in the back seat so I just have a tri fold tonneau cover but I find it very useful.  

River19
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I'm on my second set of General Grabber AT tires. The first set were AT2's and were replaced by the new ATX's. 10 or 15 ply I think. LOVE THEM. My '06 has almost 200k so I've had my share of tire brands. These are the best by far. My truck is the smaller first gen, nit the bigger rig you have, regardless, I have a fiberglass-cab high-cap and right now have about 200 lbs of sand and a filled tool box in bed. Also a poly/steel framed plow on front for most of winter that weighs about 500lbs. I pop it from 2wd to 4HI when icy, snowy, and when plowing. You shouldn't have the truck in 4wd on paved surfaces unless their is a lot of slush and some snow and ice. The gear heads can explain why better than I can.

Brad, I go through a ton of tires between the 3 rigs ( last year bought new sets for all 3 vehicles) and I'm a big General fan.  I got 55K on a set of AT2s on the Tundra and put AT2s on the GX470 right as the ATX was coming out......plan on riding those for a while.  I have the Grabber X3s in 35" on my Ram 2500.  I did stray on the Tundra to Dynapros as I got them for like $600 installed.....couldn't resist.

I have had 2 different sets of Nittos and I am convinced they are made from broken promises and customer tears as they wear like a pencil eraser.  Lucky to get 25K from them.

River19

DAG - Enjoy the truck, it should last you a long time.  Check the service records and maybe think about doing fluids and checking all the CV boots etc. and then oil, gas, tires and brakes for a long time.

Dogwood

Don't mean to hijack but does everyone use sand wt in PU's in the winter?  SUV's on truck frames don't seem to need it, yes/no?

GANGGREEN
Just now, Dogwood said:

Don't mean to hijack but does everyone use sand wt in PU's in the winter?  SUV's on truck frames don't seem to need it, yes/no?

It's all about total weight and weight distribution.  I typically don't find I need weight in my 4 door, long bed Tacoma 4X4 because of the 4 doors, the long bed and the heavy'ish cap, not to mention that I typically have something floating around back there anyway (an ice fishing shanty right now), but I can't imagine that 150-200 pounds of weight probably still wouldn't do me some good.

I never used any weight in my Toyota 4-Runner and never had any issues.

Bluegill68

Enjoy the new ride!

DAG

It was previously owned by a guy in Nebraska. Religiously changed the oil and had all the other fluids changed about 10k miles ago. Where should my dog ride? Kennel with cover in the bed? It also came with a tri fold tonneau cover. 

Brad Eden
37 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

PU rear ends are typically light given they are an open box. Anyone driving a PU on an old dirt road knows about the bounce, I didn't really bother adding a lot of weight though until I started to plow. Just like my tractor and balancing the FEL, my truck needs the ballast to counteract the plow and it gives better traction in rear. 

FWIW. My current dogs ride in the back seat of cab. I added some Cabelas seat covers for that.

River19

DAG - I am sure there will be 997 opinions on this but......I have used both crates under a cap and dogs in the back seat with and without crates.  All work, all have advantages and disadvantages.   Weather, temps and security are the things I base my decision on. 

Now that I hunt out of my GX470 crates in the back for 2 and if I have my 3rd with me.....back seat with a harness on a Mud River seat cover.