REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
jackh

2018 Subaru Forester - Hunting Vehicle

garyRI
29 minutes ago, ccavacini said:

.just bought a '19 Subaru CrossTrek.

Good choice if they fit you but a little small/based on the Imprezza.

I recently passed my 2015 Forester to my daughter when I bought an F150. Kept my older Outback.

The "handiness" of a Subarus because of size is great. Just easier to manuever in close quarters, but is not as comfortable on long drives as a full size pickup. My yearly routine will now include driving the F150 to San Antonio from Rhode Island for Christmas then staying through February. A 600 mile solo day in the F150 is very doable. At my age/71 the same distance in any small vehicle would be tough.

jackh

The '18 Forester is not flat when you lay the seats down, but this was not a real concern for me (though I would like it flat.

My wife had a '14 Outback that I loved and she didn't.  Her main complaint: I feel like I'm i a station wagon.  Although I did not think so, it was her vehicle and it was how she felt, so I respected this.

We traded it in '16.  I wish I had just kept it (saved me $ in the long run) and bought her a new car, but we traded it, nonetheless. 

The key differences that I like in the Forester over the Outback are:  You sit up a little higher and straighter in the Forester; Forester is a tad shorter assisting in maneuver and uneven terrain; Forester has far better visibility and I love the huge moonroof; cargo area is squared more to my liking; and although I don't think the OB is a station wagon, I do like the looks of the Forester better.

Mine has the CVT, which works OK for me, however, the OB gives the 3.6 6cyl engine with a standard tranny, which would be better for some things.

Speaking of the '19 CrossTrek, we bought one for our college-bound daughter for many reasons (X-Mode, safety, reliability, mpg, AWD, etc., etc.).  Great vehicle and she LOVES it.  It has the eyesight and as  cacavacini says, it is very active when engaged.

It is just as capable as the stock Forester and we did not do any mods to it, but she is pretty feisty, so we'll see if she does some stuff over time.  It does, however, have far less cargo room, and you sit down, like the OB.

IMG_5974.JPG

quailguy

How much room is there between the back seat and the hatchback of the Forester?  Enough to put two medium to large dog kennels?

How do you carry two dogs in a Forester ?

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, ccavacini said:

Let me muddy the water....just bought a '19 Subaru CrossTrek.  It's a good option.  This one has the EyeSight system, which is probably the closest thing to a self driving car.  It has all the bells and whistles.

Anyway, if you're looking at Subarus look at it.

We looked at those. A fellow UJer has one that we've seen and been in. We liked it and thought about a CrossTrek. But decided they were too small for our mutual needs.

tut
11 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

We looked at those. A fellow UJer has one that we've seen and been in. We liked it and thought about a CrossTrek. But decided they were too small for our mutual needs.

Next door neighbor has a Crosstrek and loves everything but the power.  She said its a total dog as merging on the highways around here during rush hours.

WMassGriff

Looked at Foresters but I couldn't find anyone who tows a boat (16' tin) on the highway but more importantly out of the water. Decided on a 4 Runner which does everything I want now with the exception of good gas mileage. I will say that everyone I know with a Subaru is pretty pleased with them.

spinfly

Glad to hear the positives on the CrossTreks. We own 2 Outbacks, and both my wife and I are happy, suits our mutual needs. In a few months our daughter most likely will be shedding her '09 Camry for a new CrossTrek.

john mcg
2 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

Looked at Foresters but I couldn't find anyone who tows a boat (16' tin) on the highway but more importantly out of the water. Decided on a 4 Runner which does everything I want now with the exception of good gas mileage. I will say that everyone I know with a Subaru is pretty pleased with them.

On my last trip to the panhandle a couple weeks ago--or so--I got 32 MPG with the 2012 Outback.

Best I've gotten by a couple. Maybe just breaking in at about 70K.

Reilly Auld

I rented an Outback for a 10 day trip around MT, SD, WY, ID, OR, and WA in 2009 and thought it was a great ride. 

The old ball and chain wanted a new ride a couple of years ago so I bought her a 2017 Forester. She wanted a standard transmission and they did not offer leather seats with that transmission.  It's a decent vehicle but VERY loud.  I am 6'3" and find it tight.  The seats are uncomfortable for me on a two hour plus trip. 

It's fine for around the county.  I would not want to take it on a long haul hunting trip. 

garyRI
52 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Looked at Foresters but I couldn't find anyone who tows a boat (16' tin) on the highway but more importantly out of the water. Decided on a 4 Runner which does everything I want now with the exception of good gas mileage.

I tow, and launch, a 16' dory with my Outback and Forester but a 4Runner is in a different category. 

fourtrax57

jackh,

What sized engine / cylinders?

snapt

What's your MPG running with the lift and bigger tires? Love my Outback, Averaging 37 mpg, only concern for hunting is clearance.

garyRI
1 hour ago, snapt said:

Love my Outback, Averaging 37 mpg, only concern for hunting is clearance.

Going down hill with a 40 knot following breeze?

Our 2015 Forester & 2010 Outback had/have the base 4 cyl engines. I shoot for the standard 5 mph over the speed limit on highways and have never got more tham 29-30 mpg.

snapt

I have a lead foot. Mostly rural highway/interstates. I rounded up. Lifetime = 65k. 2015 4 banger. YMMV, literally. 

42707108-8E62-4258-BFA1-1C9CEBF335DD.jpeg

Marc
10 hours ago, tut said:

Next door neighbor has a Crosstrek and loves everything but the power.  She said its a total dog as merging on the highways around here during rush hours.

Paddle shifters or a manual transmission would help.