REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
jackh

2018 Subaru Forester - Hunting Vehicle

SODAKer
11 hours ago, ccavacini said:

Let me muddy the water....just bought a '19 Subaru CrossTrek.  It's a good option.  This one has the EyeSight system, which is probably the closest thing to a self driving car.  It has all the bells and whistles.

Anyway, if you're looking at Subarus look at it.

A friend just bought one and I took a ride. Nice. The only thing I noticed was the front passenger seat seems a bit narrow. I'm 5'10", 180, and my right hamstring seemed to layover the edge of the seat, otherwise a cool car. 

RookieEP

Its amazing what a difference a good set of tires can do.  My buddy has a diesel 3/4 ton Dodge lifted a little, big heavy AT tires but on the worn side...   we slid around KS BADDDD.  4wd helped but still bad.  His brother light 1/2 ton Chevy no mods but good basic AT tires nothing fancy - stuck like glue to those bad roads.  

So with your Subbie mods and good tires you can go anywhere that doesn’t require crazy rock crawling or rutted heavily out, but then if I had PU I wouldnt want to drive on that ground either! 

ccavacini
19 hours ago, spinfly said:

Glad to hear the positives on the CrossTreks. We own 2 Outbacks, and both my wife and I are happy, suits our mutual needs. In a few months our daughter most likely will be shedding her '09 Camry for a new CrossTrek.

Have her look at the EyeSight feature.....really a good safety feature.  If on cruise, it will maintain a safe distance from the car in front....it will slow the car down if your car gets too close.

jeff88
10 hours ago, RookieEP said:

Its amazing what a difference a good set of tires can do.  My buddy has a diesel 3/4 ton Dodge lifted a little, big heavy AT tires but on the worn side...   we slid around KS BADDDD.  4wd helped but still bad.  His brother light 1/2 ton Chevy no mods but good basic AT tires nothing fancy - stuck like glue to those bad roads.  

So with your Subbie mods and good tires you can go anywhere that doesn’t require crazy rock crawling or rutted heavily out, but then if I had PU I wouldnt want to drive on that ground either! 

Agree, the right wheel/tire combo makes a ton of difference.  I appreciate that Jack H went to 75's as well - the auto and tire industries are selling the consumer a bad deal with today's skinny tires on giant wheels.  Off roads, bad roads - they need more cushioning which also assists traction.  Makes me laugh when I see these tricked out 22" wheels sporting 35's on large SUVs, they seem to be mostly found on Escalades; this has to wreak havoc with the suspension.  A close friend sells Land Rovers and Jags, he says almost every Land Rover goes out the door with an optional wheel package bought for looks.  He likes that as well, it's a highly marked up option.  Both our Ford SUV's were at their all around best on highway & off-road with Michelin LTX with 75 size walls.  The current Acura SUV came with 18 x 255/55's and while on the highway they are fine, wish they were at least 65's on two tracks and logging roads.

jeff88
On 2/24/2019 at 7:16 AM, Brad Eden said:

It can be as as simple as I personally don't like the wagon look vs the small SUV look. Same for JoAnn. Different strokes. 

This has always been an interesting perspective to me.  If you look closely, especially at a crossover SUV, it really is a lifted station wagon the same "two box" design.  They are virtually the same shape.  But don't tell this to my wife or legions of American buyers, particularly those who equate wagons with old school "mommy mobiles".  Wagons and Mini-vans are a hard sell to many that cross-over SUV's have displaced in the US.  In Europe, wagons are also called sports brakes, Kombi's and Estates.  Where many only have one ride, they fill the bill for practical and fun.  Hatchbacks are also really popular.  Anything with a lift gate in back that is not called an SUV then is a Mommy Mobile in the US market.  My wife drives a sports sedan and I drive the Mommy Mobile.  At some point we may want to get down to one vehicle and I have bad news for her - it's going to be an Estate, it will likely come from Subaru, Audi or Volvo and will have higher ground clearance than the standard wagon -- the Outback, All Road or X-Country versions.  

River19

We had 2 earlier Outbacks (2000 5sp and a 2003 Auto).....clutch blew up on the 5sp at 80K (not for lack of knowing how to drive stick) and the Auto got us to ~180K with 2 head gasket jobs I think and then to ~240K (ish) but nothing worked by that point.....70% of the dash controls worked 0% of the dash lights worked (used to have a small flash light taped on the column to see speed at night) and the 2.5L Boxer 4 was under powered from day 1.

My wife won't let us even look at Subarus again after beating the piss out of the last one just to maintain 65mph up and down the NH and VT mountains and hills.  

Leased 2 Rav4s between 2013-2017 with no complaints (2 intermediate crates fit behind the seats with back seats up)

I kinda like the Forester idea but the CVT and the fact they keep sticking with warmed over versions of that 2.5L..... and Nancy will look at me obtusely if I mention them.

Not that our 3 rigs aren't more than capable.....overly so.....

I like the OP's setup though.....if you go Forrester that is pretty sick.

Swampy 16
On 2/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, jackh said:

Just a short public service message regarding the capabilities of my 2018 Forester Premium.

Modifications:

Skid plate - heavy duty 1/4" aluminum (about $250)

Lift Kit - 2" Anderson Mfg (about $700 installed)

Wheels - 16" (OEM wheels are 17") Why?  I wanted more tire and less rim. This did not add any ht to speak of.

Tires - Big O Bigfoot AT 225/75/16

As it sits, I have 11" of clearance - plenty of room.  If you have a standard 4WD pu, measure the clearance of it and compare it to the Forester.

I did a great deal of research last year deciding what vehicle I wanted for the next few years of hunting.  I wanted good mpg, off-road capabilities, enough room, sunroof, enough power, I want to get 250k miles out of it, AND I DID NOT WANT TO SPEND 40k. (My stock, new Forester, ran me under 27k.)

All of my research led me to the Forester (I have had an 2 Subs earlier and loved them).

I now have 25k miles on it with no problems.  I have taken it to some rough country in the mountains while fishing; I have taken it on LONG road trips (hwy); I have taken it on rough, snowy, muddy trips in western KS hunting; I have driven it through a bunch of snow and ice as my commuter here in NE KS.

This thing gets a A++++++++ rating from me; I love it!

It easily handled bad mud and snow where big 4WD PUs were struggling; so much so, that after some bad stretches, several in our group were high-fiving me, exclaiming that they just couldn't believe what it could do, and extensively all over this thing looking it over...

(I have folks roll down their windows in traffic and ask where I got my lift and what mods I've done, etc.)

It is great on the highway as a commuter; is VERY stable on ice/snow; has enough room for two dogs/two hunters/gear.  When I went to the mts, I took the family and a TON of gear: For this I used my Thule cargo carrier on top.

With the mods, I get 26-27 mpg hwy - without, I got 30-31. I pull a small 5x8 utility trailer some with no issues.  It sure has enough power and pep for me, but it isn't like a turbo rig.

The pic below was after about a mile of BAD, deep, mud and snow.  I had rooster tails from all 4 tires but floated thru this like a champ.

IMG_6304.JPG

Have you had any extra wear issues with the lift? Can you tell me what it cost to buy and install the lift? How’s the ride comfort?

garyRI
10 minutes ago, Flush said:

it's an interesting story how they became the car of choice with lesbians.

After I bought my first Subaru & got made fun of I asked a Subaru salesman if the lesbian thing was true. He said yes and when Subaru corporate found out they started advertising in lesbian media (there is such a thing?). And it caused Subaru to loose the Christian market (that I also didn't know was a thing)

River19
14 minutes ago, garyRI said:

After I bought my first Subaru & got made fun of I asked a Subaru salesman if the lesbian thing was true. He said yes and when Subaru corporate found out they started advertising in lesbian media (there is such a thing?). And it caused Subaru to loose the Christian market (that I also didn't know was a thing)

Interesting Marketing observations.......

By that logic technically no Jewish person would drive a BMW, Benz, Audi or Porsche, but I have always found it interesting the local places of worship were always filled with them.

I'm sure the marketing folks have their collective crap together but I think there are so many exceptions to the rule that the rule is loose at best.

Swampy 16

I’m may need to buy a Chrysler, haha. All kidding aside I’m quite sure I WILL NOT be mistaken for a lesbian. Trust me, I’d make one hell of an ugly lesbian. I do agree that the Forester is the PERFECT grouse buggy. I do an awful lot of driving during the season. I’ll drive 10 hours in any given weekend and the ol’ F-150 is not exactly efficient. I love it but the mileage sucks even with the eco boost. I watched a video where four 4wd trucks and SUV’s were pulled from a mud hole in the woods one after the other only to be shown up by an old Outback that ripped right through it. That sold me and on the search I went. Hoping for a raise this year otherwise I’m moving on. My wife hates my boss and said if I find a new job I can buy a vehicle. I haven’t paid for a vehicle or gas in 5 years so it hasn’t been a thought but now that things may change I need something economical that will get me down log roads. 

L Kenney

I've had 4 Subarus over the past 25 years: two Foresters and two Outbacks. and never had a problem with any of them.  Sold my 2011 Forester and bought a 2017 Outback rather than a Forester because the tow rating on the Forester went down to 1500 lbs. and the Outback is 2700.  With two people, fishing or hunting gear, towing a 14 ft aluminum skiff and motor the Forester is more than maxxed out.  If you don't tow it's a great car. Ground clearance is the same on both.  I routinely get 30-32 mpg on the highway with my '17 Outback and friends with Foresters get about the same.  But the Achilles heel of the Outback is the horrible approach angle due to the long, low front overhang.  It's easy to bury the nose going down-up in some of the places I take it.  Another drawback to the Outback is the horrible integral cross bars, which only provide about 36" of distance fore and aft.  Fine for bike racks and skis, and for a roof top pod, but not great for a 16' canoe or a fly fishing pram.  The rails on the Forester let you put cross bars far enough from each other to be meaningful.  The little Crosstrek is neat, but suffers from the same approach angle problem, has very little cargo room and terrible visibility.  The Eyesight system on all of them is something I had no interest in and now love. 

Craig Doherty

Great idea but a little tough when I'm hauling six dogs and three hunters on a regular basis and on our recent trip to Kansas we took 16 dogs six in the truck and 10 in the trailer.

1.jpeg

john mcg

That is some dog power...as they say out here.

lol

jackh
6 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Have you had any extra wear issues with the lift? Can you tell me what it cost to buy and install the lift? How’s the ride comfort?

Swampy - it cost me about 700-750 to buy and install the lift.  Rides stiffer, but no wear issues.  It feels "heavier", but I believe that is more the heavier tires.

When I bought it, I knew I'd do the mods...if not, I wouldn't have bought it.

I was teetering between the 4Runner, Tacoma, and full-size PU.  Their drawbacks were the expense. 

Plus I had a plan: 

**I really want to pursue the Upland Grand Slam over the next few years.***

But in doing so, I had some unique criteria I wanted to employ:

1.  I want to travel to all destinations in the Forester...sorta to prove everything (within reason) could be hunted with a good crossover SUV.

2.  I wanted to use a Pointing Lab.

3. I wanted to use a new Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen

As of now, I have all the items in place...we'll see how it unfolds over the next few years 🙂