REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
jackh

2018 Subaru Forester - Hunting Vehicle

RookieEP

Does that include the elusive snowcock?   

Swampy 16
2 hours ago, jackh said:

Swampy - it cost me about 700-750 to buy and install the lift.  Rides stiffer, but no wear issues.  It feels "heavier", but I believe that is more the heavier tires.

When I bought it, I knew I'd do the mods...if not, I wouldn't have bought it.

I was teetering between the 4Runner, Tacoma, and full-size PU.  Their drawbacks were the expense. 

Plus I had a plan: 

**I really want to pursue the Upland Grand Slam over the next few years.***

But in doing so, I had some unique criteria I wanted to employ:

1.  I want to travel to all destinations in the Forester...sorta to prove everything (within reason) could be hunted with a good crossover SUV.

2.  I wanted to use a Pointing Lab.

3. I wanted to use a new Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen

As of now, I have all the items in place...we'll see how it unfolds over the next few years 🙂

How difficult was it to install? 

jackh
34 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

Does that include the elusive snowcock?   

I hope to do them all, but it will be a daunting task. 

I like challenges though...

jackh
32 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

How difficult was it to install? 

Not that tough. I didn’t do it myself though, I had the assistance of a local 4x4 shop where I’m in good with the guys. 

jackh

Here is a rear pic of my Forester and my daughter’s stock CrossTrek. Pretty big difference. 

5D8A3D1D-3009-4C6E-AD1E-07828D284A42.jpeg

rideold
On 2/23/2019 at 9:04 AM, jackh said:

Wheels - 16" (OEM wheels are 17") Why?  I wanted more tire and less rim. This did not add any ht to speak of.

Tires - Big O Bigfoot AT 225/75/16

With the other modifications you made could you fit larger tires if you wanted to?  Just curious.  11" of clearance is plenty for me (my Sequoia has 12 so basically the same in my eyes).

PaFlyfisher

I have a 2017 Forester. It is an amazing vehicle and even in stock form likely does what the vast majority of hunters need. Tons of interior volume and front and rear leg room, especially given the size of the vehicle. It really maximizes the footprint. Excellent clearance at 8.7", and an AWD system designed to go off pavement. For those that don't desire rock-crawling capabilities, it is an excellent choice. I can get 34-35MPG on highway trips in total comfort.  The suite of safety features at the price point is excellent and only getting better in 2019 models, it will sense pending collisions and brake, alert me to cars in my blind spot, steer me back into my lane should I drift, and has a sophisticated AWD system that will control throttle and braking at each individual wheel at low speeds to maximize traction and control descents. It is likely better on forest service roads and in the snow than any pickup. It does all this for $15-20k less, if not more.

Swampy 16
1 hour ago, Bede said:

I have a 2017 Forester. It is an amazing vehicle and even in stock form likely does what the vast majority of hunters need. Tons of interior volume and front and rear leg room, especially given the size of the vehicle. It really maximizes the footprint. Excellent clearance at 8.7", and an AWD system designed to go off pavement. For those that don't desire rock-crawling capabilities, it is an excellent choice. I can get 34-35MPG on highway trips in total comfort.  The suite of safety features at the price point is excellent and only getting better in 2019 models, it will sense pending collisions and brake, alert me to cars in my blind spot, steer me back into my lane should I drift, and has a sophisticated AWD system that will control throttle and braking at each individual wheel at low speeds to maximize traction and control descents. It is likely better on forest service roads and in the snow than any pickup. It does all this for $15-20k less, if not more.

Does your Forester have X-mode, and if so how big of an advantage is it over not having it? 

River19
3 hours ago, Bede said:

100% agree with how capable a large portion of AWD SUVs are in most common conditions of snow, winter mix, and most common off road situations.  Our SUVs over the past 10 years have been the "go to" for all our nasty winter driving vs. our 2 trucks.  Our subarus with winter tires would climb a wall, slowly but it would get the job done.  The RAVs we ahd after the Subaru were actually even better with proper tires and I like the GX470 even more than all of them.

Trucks are good where brute strength, huge post-mod clearance, towing and total cargo capacity are at a premium.  I have found everything less than that teh SUVs are actually superior in many cases.

From my humble perspective, for many car-based crossover or SUV platforms they excel with the pavement and maintained dirt road scenario and the truck based body on frame SUVs like the 4Runner/GX, Land Cruiser etc. give up something on the road (ie, ride comfort vs. crossover, fuel economy, noise, etc.) they make up for it with very good to excellent off-road capabiltiy.  

The Forrester seems to blur the line even more than most in that black and white view.  The OP's modded Suby is pretty sweet actually and probably can handle most things short of neeing more articulation, rock sliders etc. and frankly, if you are hunting places that require that on a regular basis, those covers better be legendary.....lol

Swampy 16
7 minutes ago, River19 said:

100% agree with how capable a large portion of AWD SUVs are in most common conditions of snow, winter mix, and most common off road situations.  Our SUVs over the past 10 years have been the "go to" for all our nasty winter driving vs. our 2 trucks.  Our subarus with winter tires would climb a wall, sloly but it would get the job done.  The RAVs we ahd after the Subaru were actually even better with proper tires and I like the GX470 even more than all of them.

Trucks are good where brute strength, huge post-mod clearance, towing and total cargo capacity are at a premium.  I have found everything less than that teh SUVs are actually superior in many cases.

From my humble perspective, for many car-based crossover or SUV platforms they excel with the pavement and maintained dirt road scenario and the truck based body on frame SUVs like the 4Runner/GX, Land Cruiser etc. give up something on the road (ie, ride comfort vs. crossover, fuel economy, noise, etc.) they make up for it with very good to excellent off-road capabiltiy.  

The Forrester seems to blur the line even more than most in that black and white view.  The OP's modded Suby is pretty sweet actually and probably can handle most things short of neeing more articulation, rock sliders etc. and frankly, if you are hunting places that require that on a regular basis, those covers better be legendary.....lol

Your RAV 4 was better off road with different tires than a Subaru? That’s interesting. Mud and snow also?

River19
3 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

Your RAV 4 was better off road with different tires than a Subaru? That’s interesting. Mud and snow also?

For clarification, for winter use the RAV performance with the same model winter tire was superior over my Subaru.  In full disclosure the RAV was several years newer than my Subaru.  The Subaru was better than anythign I had prior to that however and was in fact "very good" to Excellent.  Same roads, same types of storms, 4 years behind the wheel of the RAV and that was our conclusion.

Subaru certainly has an awesome AWD system and has been at it for a long long time.  BUt, it isn't like other manufcaturers haven't closed the gap or moved past them potentially.  Toyota has been doing solid AWD and 4WD platforms for a long ass time as well.  The engine, transmission and ability to lock into 4WD vs. AWD were all superior to the Suby. 

The new version of all those vehicles today are so damn capable it coems down to personal preference and other deciding factors vs. AWD performance alone.  

Swampy 16
11 minutes ago, River19 said:

For clarification, for winter use the RAV performance with the same model winter tire was superior over my Subaru.  In full disclosure the RAV was several years newer than my Subaru.  The Subaru was better than anythign I had prior to that however and was in fact "very good" to Excellent.  Same roads, same types of storms, 4 years behind the wheel of the RAV and that was our conclusion.

Subaru certainly has an awesome AWD system and has been at it for a long long time.  BUt, it isn't like other manufcaturers haven't closed the gap or moved past them potentially.  Toyota has been doing solid AWD and 4WD platforms for a long ass time as well.  The engine, transmission and ability to lock into 4WD vs. AWD were all superior to the Suby. 

The new version of all those vehicles today are so damn capable it coems down to personal preference and other deciding factors vs. AWD performance alone.  

The only downfall I see to the RAV is poor ground clearance. 2.5” less than a Forester unfortunately.

john mcg

I think most of the differences between the different SUVs of a class are made moot by the skill of the driver and the driver knowing when and where to go and not go and care taken.

Swampy 16
4 minutes ago, john mcg said:

I think most of the differences between the different SUVs of a class are made moot by the skill of the driver and the driver knowing when and where to go and not go and care taken.

I just read a bit more and now see 8.6”. I think I previously looked at the front wheel drive version.

Swampy 16

Any other RAV 4 owners out there?