Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• Dogwood

• Clueless1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It can get very real. Which is awesome.                    

A .308 Win bolt gun topped with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 pretty much checks all the boxes.

You could get everything you need as far as advice and experience right here. Just ask away.

Posted Images

The three most important things

1. Time in the field

2. Patience

3. Your scent/wind direction

There is a trillion deer hunting gadgets out there to get lost in. Time in the woods and patience to sit in the woods will trump them all though. 

Good luck

1 hour ago, cajunl said:

The three most important things

1. Time in the field

2. Patience

3. Your scent/wind direction

There is a trillion deer hunting gadgets out there to get lost in. Time in the woods and patience to sit in the woods will trump them all though. 

Good luck

That's good ^. Thinking back most critters I've brought to bag, be it Upland birds, deer or wild turkey were taken because I knew the lay of the land. Had scouted, had walked it, had hunted it, had figured it out. Woodsmanship generally.

Birdcountry70
3 hours ago, Dogwood said:

I aspire to be a one gun big game hunter; primarily deer, occasional antelope, and maybe maybe maybe an elk.  It would be nice to practice without getting the snot kicked out of my shoulder.  So I gather, not unlike shotguns, for a given caliber one can vary the bullet weight/shot charge relative to the gun weight for different game etc etc?  I am not interested in reloading at all, so an ample supply of various factory loads would be a consideration also.  

In that regard include scope recommendations please.  Specific rifle make/model/scope combos very welcome! Used/new whatever. Own a Model 52 Japanese repro 22 with a Leupold scope fwiw; hefty rifle-like, very accurate, real purty.

Given the needs you mentioned, something like Brad's pet 7mm-08 would fit the bill nicely. Also the 308. Could add the 270 win. And 6.5 creedmoor. A couple of the 30-06's I've owned were suprisingly hard kickers so I'd leave them out.  I'm a big fan of the 25-06 but you need a good bullet if you want to shoot an elk ( Nosler partition or Barnes). If I wasn't a reloader I'd probably pick something else. And when I know I'm going after elk I take my 7mm.

Since you mentioned elk 7mm Mag would be a good choice. Pretty much good for all north american big game. They kick but when shooting at game you really don't notice any recoil. Flat shooter - good choice for Antelope. Mine has seen success on White tail, Black bear & Antelope. To be perfectly honest a 30-06 can do it all also.  Any 3-9 scope ~ Leupold & up . JMHO

3 hours ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Given the needs you mentioned, something like Brad's pet 7mm-08 would fit the bill nicely. Also the 308. Could add the 270 win.    

Ok, so of say these 3, what are the reasons one picks a given caliber over the other etc?

IMG_1018.JPG

7mm-08 Remington Core-Lokt PSP 140 grain on left

270 WIN Hornady American Whitetail InterLock 130 grain on right.

(I think a .308 is similar in size to the 7mm-08)

Seems size might matter for an animal the size of an Elk?

(I'm not a rifle crank, just use what has planted Whitetail consistently)

5 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Ok, so of say these 3, what are the reasons one picks a given caliber over the other etc?

The only reason one might be better than the others might be if you travel a lot and forget your shells .308 win would probably be the easiest to find in some backwoods hardware store

5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_1018.JPG

7mm-08 Remington Core-Lokt PSP 140 grain on left

270 WIN Hornady American Whitetail InterLock 130 grain on right.

(I think a .308 is similar in size to the 7mm-08)

Seems size might matter for an animal the size of an Elk?

(I'm not a rifle crank, just use what has planted Whitetail consistently)

The .308Win is the parent case to the 7mm-08, .308 case necked down to 7mm (.284), so they are very similar in length. I believe the 7mm-08 is  just a skosh longer than the .308. 

9 hours ago, Dogwood said:

There is more ballistic and reloading data available for the .308 than any other cartridge.  It is inherently accurate.  It is a short action.  

Birdcountry70
18 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Well, any of these would work perfectly, and there are a bunch of others too. In 32 years of hunting I have yet to ever forget my ammo or run out during a hunt so if we don't limit ourselves to the calibers that you can find ammo for at every little hardware store we open up to a pile of options like 280 rem, 25-06, 7x57, 6.5 Swede. I've probably left some good ones out.  After that it might just come down to how much you weight each of the needs you have listed.  I no longer think I need a fast 30 caliber for deer and I always find myself leaning towards the less common stuff for reasons that I probably can't really explain so I gravitated to the 25-06 and 7mm-08 in recent years. I do reload so factory ammo availability and price is not something I consider. If I flew to hunt I might lean towards more common ammo but I've honestly never pulled a trigger outside of Montana. For some reason I love shooting big bore handguns but I'm a wimp when it comes to rifle recoil. I can't shoot hard kickers nearly as accurately.

Birdcountry70

Shorter cartridges like 308,7mm-08,243 can be used in a slightly smaller, short action rifle where as slightly longer cartridges like 30-06,280,270,25-06 require a long action rifle. This seems to be important to some. I can't see where it matters unless you want an AR platform semi auto which would require a short action cartridge to work. For bolt action guns you might add a couple of ounces with a long action but among brands and designs ,weights of SA and LA guns overlap quite a bit.

11 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Shorter cartridges like 308,7mm-08,243 can be used in a slightly smaller, short action rifle where as slightly longer cartridges like 30-06,280,270,25-06 require a long action rifle. This seems to be important to some. I can't see where it matters unless you want an AR platform semi auto which would require a short action cartridge to work. For bolt action guns you might add a couple of ounces with a long action but among brands and designs ,weights of SA and LA guns overlap quite a bit.

But the short actions can be lighter and the bolt throw shorter with quicker follow up shots.  From what I’ve heard anyway.  I’ve never owned a long action.