REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

The down side of a Forrestor subaru

blanked

All this talk about the forrestor had me do some research since I will be needing an AWD soon.  The forrestor forums show  the 2018 models still having excessive oil consumption problems and CVT problems.  And you cannot buy manual transmissions anymore

topdog1961

All their marketing looks like it's directed at the yuppie (is that still a word?) market that wouldn't know how to shift gears anyway. 

406dn

Not that I am considering a Forester,,, but manual transmissions are not offered in many vehicles these days. Years ago, that was a must have for any vehicle I'd purchase.

That dam began to break with a 95 Suburban. It broke with an 05 Chevy Duramax. The towing ratings were higher for the Allison auto tranny than the stick shift offered. Now I don't think you can even get a manual tranny with the diesel engine from GM.

Over time things evolve mostly for the better. I don't miss a manual tranny any longer.  It is an additional cost to run an assembly line putting in two different transmissions as cars come down the line. Then when you are done, they sit on a lot until just the right buyer comes along wanting the manual transmission. They are now a white elephant.   

Brad Eden
32 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

All their marketing looks like it's directed at the yuppie (is that still a word?) market that wouldn't know how to shift gears anyway. 

Isn't most all marketing these days? People with the means and wherewithal to purchase new vehicles...Really. I still like them and will try and talk my wife into a new Forrester when she decides to trade in her Rogue.

marsingbob

Subaru's reputation for reliability and long life is definitely due to clever marketing.  They are well known to professionals for a variety of problems, including in particular valve and cylinder head failures at around 125,000 miles.  If you buy one, unload it before it gets to 100,000 miles.

River19
On 3/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, marsingbob said:

Subaru's reputation for reliability and long life is definitely due to clever marketing.  They are well known to professionals for a variety of problems, including in particular valve and cylinder head failures at around 125,000 miles.  If you buy one, unload it before it gets to 100,000 miles.

That was the same thing I was told as threw money at teh Subies I had when they got to 80K+  Got one to 245K (ish) before it bloew up but I had thousands in repair bills to get there. Head gaskets, mystery electrical problems, mystery ignition issues, etc.

Some people swear by them but......

I see a ton of people driving them in the north country but mostly because they are a very inexpensive used AWD vehicle that gets reasonable mileage and every garage knows how to fix them as they get good practice.  Same with Jeeps.....

jeff88
On 3/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, 406dn said:

Not that I am considering a Forester,,, but manual transmissions are not offered in many vehicles these days. Years ago, that was a must have for any vehicle I'd purchase.

Just read a review of the new Porsche Carrera, no manny anymore.  Their DSG trans is faster and better than a clutch.  Probably the same with many new rides- the auto is simply better now in full auto mode or in auto/manual mode.  Up until the early oughts I thought the manual was always the way to go for "fun" vehicles such as our '02 acura rsx/s which was much better with a 6sp manual.  Since then, unless it was a sports coupe or some sports cars, I'd go with the auto/manual.  Exceptions for me a mazda miata, porsche boxster, mustang rag top or bmw z - if I somehow had one of those I'd want to row the gears.

As for Subaru's my friends who have them either rave about it or moan about repairs, particularly clutches.  W/O question they are the highest in terms of brand loyalty and inventory turnover - both really good signs.  Believe I'd check Edmunds for the customer reviews to get the skinny.

BBlizzard18

At 6’4” I’ve never found them particularly comfortable and don’t fit in some of the older ones.  My wife has a 2015 Forester and she likes it a lot.  Great in the snow.  We’ve never had any problems with it.  My younger brother has a manual Forester and it looks newish...I wonder what year it is.  Probably the last year they made them. 

paul frey
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, topdog1961 said:

Every Subaru I see has some hippie/lefty/vegan looking person driving it.  They almost always have a COEXIST or a peace sticker on them. 

jeff88
On 3/16/2019 at 10:26 AM, topdog1961 said:

Yuppies are now in their 50's and 60's.  😎

topdog1961
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Yuppies are now in their 50's and 60's.  😎

You're right. That's my age. In the mid 80s I had an anti-yuppie sweatshirt. It simply said on the front "No Condo, No BMW, No MBA."  

Everyone back lack then got it. But I bet if I wore it now, most people under 50 would scratch their head. 

I had to stop wearing it when I got an MBA. 

Brad Eden

Yeah we all get the lesbian angle. Topic edited. Take it somewhere else. Believe it or not we have a wide range of Members. Do the math.

406dn
2 hours ago, paul frey said:

Every Subaru I see has some hippie/lefty/vegan looking person driving it.  They almost always have a COEXIST or a peace sticker on them. 

Subarus are pretty ubiquititous in these parts. We had an 83 Wagon back in the day. I hauled a cow elk home with it once. Just folded the back seats up, twisted her neck back around and cut the hind legs off at the hock. It was a great little wagon. I suspect they still are.

DennisMcFeely
2 hours ago, paul frey said:

They almost always have a COEXIST or a peace sticker on them. 

HAHAHAHAHA, that's hysterical.