REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

The down side of a Forrestor subaru

DennisMcFeely
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, marsingbob said:

They are well known to professionals for a variety of problems, including in particular valve and cylinder head failures at around 125,000 miles.  If you buy one, unload it before it gets to 100,000 miles.

I ran smack dab into this after consuming large amounts of Subaru Kool-Aid for a while.  Now I drive a Toyota, hopefully that will turn out better.

topdog1961

In the 90's, instead of going head to head with the giants like Toyota and Honda over the same demographic, white people between 25-40 living in the suburbs, Subaru decided to market specifically to several niche markets. It was a brilliant and gutsy plan that paid off.  Lesbians were just one of several groups that included teachers, medical professionals, and "rugged outdoorsy types".  That last one is most of us, but it seems the Lesbian ads are the only ones that get attention.  

River19
12 minutes ago, DennisMcFeely said:

I ran smack dab into this after consuming large amounts of Subaru Kool-Aid for a while.  Now I drive a Toyota, hopefully that will turn out better.

It will.

jeff88
5 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

I had to stop wearing it when I got an MBA. 

You da' yuppie!  😉

Dogwood

Just went to the garage to check on Jane's 2014 Outback with 118K miles on it.  It hasn't imploded yet.  

You fellas had me worried.

DennisMcFeely
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Just went to the garage to check on Jane's 2014 Outback with 118K miles on it.  It hasn't imploded yet.  

You fellas had me worried.

Mine was a 2013 Outback fwiw which I thought I'd read had some "issues" with that model year. ymmv  Everything was alright, until it wasn't, then it got ugly quick.  Blown transmission and many subsequent electrical problems and lots of excuses from the dealer.  Maybe it was just me as I know lots of happy Subaru drivers.

WAGinVA

Had a late 80's wagon (I think it was the last car that I bought new) that everyone at the time raved about.  Just the ticket for a young family until it wasn't.  Nothing but problems when it started south.  I can not remember the specific problems except for the timing belt breaking several times (not due to high mileage).   I can not remember what I did with that car but I do remember I only kept it a couple of years, at that time my wife was driving about 40K miles a year as at outside salesperson.   Had owned trouble free Hondas before and went back that route and have stuck with them till the current time.

garyRI
On 3/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, marsingbob said:

including in particular valve and cylinder head failures at around 125,000 miles. 

Happened for me at around 140K.

And water pump at the same time. That's the bad news. The good news is you can get it all done for about $1200 in a good foreign car repair shop.Since it happens so often they get a lot of practice.

Manual transmissions impress high school girls. Automatic transmissions win races, get better fuel mileage, and last longer. 

My parents are on Subaru #3, my wife has her first. I'd buy another one. 

Brad Eden
Just now, NECarson said:

Manual transmissions impress high school girls. Automatic transmissions win races, get better fuel mileage, and last longer. 

My parents are on Subaru #3, my wife has her first. I'd buy another one. 

My youngest daughter is now 28. When she got her license in high school and after driving our automatics decided she wanted a standard/manual vehicle. We found her a used 5 speed Saturn. I taught her how to drive it. Her boyfriend(s) and friends who were boys couldnt drive her car.  So she was impressed but not in the way you implied.

garyRI

I have bought three. Own one now, a high mileage Ouback, as second vehicle to my F150. I'm a full size truck guy now but if I quit towing boats and travel trailers going back to Subarus would be an option.

3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

My youngest daughter is now 28. When she got her license in high school and after driving our automatics decided she wanted a standard/manual vehicle. We found her a used 5 speed Saturn. I taught her how to drive it. Her boyfriend(s) and friends who were boys couldnt drive her car.  So she was impressed but not in the way you implied.

That's awesome. 

I love driving a manual in many situations, but objectively they just don't make sense anymore. 

Not that I'm beholden to decisions that make sense... 

Bullwinkle

Why settle for a Subaru when you could buy a Honda?

jeff88
15 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

The car I bought as a 3rd set of wheels when our now 29 YO son started driving had a 6 sp manual.  One of the main reasons for the manual was to keep him more engaged in the act of driving - manny's don't allow for as much 'hands free' time behind the wheel reducing cell usage etc.  None of his friends could drive one so there was no borrowing the ride.  Also it was a sports coupe with a very small back seat to limit driving around with a large crew. 

It was a bit selfish of me - I love driving a manual tranny in a sporty car so there were times when I got to drive it too.  Yeah, an auto today is faster, more efficient and less costly but gimme the manual to wind up the engine, downshift and shift when I want, not when the car wants.  A Boxster or a Honda S2000 with a 6 sp would be a blast especially in the TX Hill Country.

I taught both kids, our now 26 YO daughter didn't like driving the manual so she took over the Expy and I took the 6 sp most of the time.  Was happy to make the trade-off. 

Both are very good drivers - daughter turned into much more of a car person as far as maintaining and taking good care of her vehicles.  Today she drives an AWD sports sedan with an auto/manual (DSG), since she can shift 'clutch-less' she's more into holding gears in mountain drives on the front range in CO.  One other aspect of using a family car - we had both kids pay about half for the rides we got for them.  We took care of running costs and insurance but their having skin in the game seemed to up their responsibility quotient.

6 hours ago, Bullwinkle said:

Why settle for a Subaru when you could buy a Honda?

Because it means that you don't have a Honda?