REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Kansas Big Dog

Class C motor homes

Kansas Big Dog

I am consider purchasing a class c motor home. This would be my full time home and I would travel around hunting and fishing. Looking at a 25 foot or less. Ford E-350 or E-450 chassis and V10 motor less than 100K miles. The ones I have been looking at are 10 to 20 years old. I will be pulling my 2008 Ford Escape (manual trans) 4 down. I have already sent a PM to Rocdoc for his input. Looking for any suggestions or comments.

This is my top pick right now, but it is in Key West, FL.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2003-Fleetwood-JAMBOREE-23-5006716267

This would be my second pick.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004-Gulf-Stream-B-TOURING-CRUISER-5211-5006749267

GANGGREEN

Part of me envies you because I'd love to have the freedom to just pick up and go whenever the mood suited, but I guess I've become too much of a homebody to actually do it full-time without a home base to return to.  I guess family life will do that to you, not that I'm complaining.  Good luck with your search.

25/06
27 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

I am consider purchasing a class c motor home. This would be my full time home and I would travel around hunting and fishing. Looking at a 25 foot or less. Ford E-350 or E-450 chassis and V10 motor less than 100K miles. The ones I have been looking at are 10 to 20 years old. I will be pulling my 2008 Ford Escape (manual trans) 4 down. I have already sent a PM to Rocdoc for his input. Looking for any suggestions or comments.

This is my top pick right now, but it is in Key West, FL.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2003-Fleetwood-JAMBOREE-23-5006716267

This would be my second pick.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004-Gulf-Stream-B-TOURING-CRUISER-5211-5006749267

If you plan on driving it a lot and you can swing it go diesel. They start out almost the same price new, but used the gasser's are way cheaper for a reason.

If you live where you can do a DEF delete it will pay for itself.

Those little campers are a parachute on wheels. A v10 in a pickup may see 10 -13mpg empty but pulling will be in the 4-7mpg range. Those campers will be in the lower range

all the time. I do not own one but it is what my neighbor who has had several explained to me after switching to diesels.

Clueless1

Any reason for Class C vs Class A? 

UplandHntr

subscribed.

any need to watch for a 4 season unit? Thats whats holding me back in my trailer search. Looking at Lance, etc. You can try and follow warmer weather but inevitably will run into sub freezing temps along the way.

Thats not a very big unit to live in with dogs. Just you??

Storage comes to mind.

Greg Hartman

I've had trailers, several Class C's and some Class A's, both gassers and diesel.  If you want to actually live in an RV, I'd very strongly suggest a Class A diesel.  There may be some exceptions, but in general, most diesel Class A MH's are better built in every way than Class C's - better insulation, better appliances, better electrical wiring, better windows, much more storage and carrying capacity, much better interior construction, plumbing, etc, etc..  Class C's are generally designed for short-term camping/travel by a family.  Diesel Class A's are more often designed for long-term travel and living by a couple.  A Class C is usually a "camper" and diesel Class A is usually a motorHOME.  A diesel Class A could tow your Escape as if it was a roller skate. 

If budget is the main concern, I think you'd be much better off with an older, quality diesel Class A than a newer Class C at the same price point.

Kansas Big Dog

Thanks for the replies.

A class A is out of question for a couple reasons, cost, maneuverability and maintenance. Places I plan on staying are fairly remote and I doubt I could even change a flat on a class A. Rocdoc (Steve) has been staying in a class A for a few years and wished he had a smaller one. 

The class c I am looking at get around 9 mpg.

The ones I would buy have ducted heating that keeps water line from freezing. If it's that cold, maybe time to move south.😀

Kansas Big Dog

Don't forget the last 2 year's I have been hunting out of the Ranchero Deluxe. A class c will be a big step up.

bobman

I’ve been looking at this for a long time

my 2 cents....

There’s 32 foot class A’s 

the class A will have a real truck suspension and more room typically have a “basement” that you can duct heat into

also have larger water tanks

Class A’s are typically owned by old farts like Greg and Don that take real good care of their stuff

class c not so much

I wouldn’t want to live in a class c

class C are safer however in a wreck

there are two brands of class A’s that have a wall design that won’t delaminate which is a huge issue 

mechanical stuff is easy to fix delam rot isn’t 

Arizona has a lot of nice used ones try and find one that was stored inside

diesels are nice but very expensive to repair I would get a gasser on a tight budget

Just some random thoughts good luck

Don Steese

I agree 100% with what Greg said. I own a 99 Gulfstream diesel pusher and if you compare it to most any 99 class C out there I'd bet mine has weathered the years far better. Generally speaking Gulfstream made a good coach. Don't know a lot about the Fleetwoods, but there are a million of them out there.  No matter what you get, new or old, gas or diesel, class A or C, you're going to have problems. Resign yourself to that before you buy. Helps if you're handy enough to fix a lot of stuff yourself. Good luck on the purchase!! 

Kansas Big Dog
39 minutes ago, bobman said:

I’ve been looking at this for a long time

my 2 cents....

There’s 32 foot class A’s 

the class A will have a real truck suspension and more room typically have a “basement” that you can duct heat into

also have larger water tanks

Class A’s are typically owned by old farts like Greg and Don that take real good care of their stuff

class c not so much

I wouldn’t want to live in a class c

class C are safer however in a wreck

there are two brands of class A’s that have a wall design that won’t delaminate which is a huge issue 

mechanical stuff is easy to fix delam rot isn’t 

Arizona has a lot of nice used ones try and find one that was stored inside

diesels are nice but very expensive to repair I would get a gasser on a tight budget

Just some random thoughts good luck

Old farts and gassers! There's got to be a joke there somewhere.😜

Kansas Big Dog
6 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I agree 100% with what Greg said. I own a 99 Gulfstream diesel pusher and if you compare it to most any 99 class C out there I'd bet mine has weathered the years far better. Generally speaking Gulfstream made a good coach. Don't know a lot about the Fleetwoods, but there are a million of them out there.  No matter what you get, new or old, gas or diesel, class A or C, you're going to have problems. Resign yourself to that before you buy. Helps if you're handy enough to fix a lot of stuff yourself. Good luck on the purchase!! 

That is one of the things that attracts me to class c is they have a lot of the same appliances, plumbing etc as travel trailers. I hunted out of a 2010 Open Range for 4 years and know a lot about making repairs.

Rockdoc
37 minutes ago, bobman said:

That would be Mr. Old Fart to you Bob! LOL!!!

Steve

C.J.L.

Not to hijack, but for the guys that do live or spend a good deal of time living out of their home on wheels what is the cost of living comparison between a brick and mortar home you have paid off and a home on wheels you have paid off per month?