REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Kansas Big Dog

Class C motor homes

apachecadillac

Pretty interesting conversation.  I went through a similar exercise looking at small travel trailers, not motorhomes, last fall.

I don't have anything to contribute on the subject of motorhomes, but, FWIW, terrym, I ended up buying an Escape 19.  It's built and paid for and sitting on a lot in Chilliwack, British Columbia, waiting for me to pick it up when the weather gets a little better.  All of southern Colorado and southern New Mexico and most of eastern Arizona are within a four hour drive for me.  So I plan to use the thing for 3-4 day  trips to places just a little too far from home for a day trip.

If I was planning longer trips (half way across country, for weeks at a time, and staying in motion), I'd have looked at motorhomes, I think.  How you are going to use it has to be the driver.  And what you can afford.  And features that are pluses on one deployment can be negatives in a different one.

Kansas Big Dog
3 hours ago, terrym said:

Not to sidetrack but I wonder what is the point where it makes more $$ sense to rent motels over purchasing and maintaining an RV? I’m also thinking of buying one 16-21 ft for max one week trips but mostly 3 day weekends ( 2 people and 2 dogs) I don’t want to upgrade to a 3/4 ton to tow. 

A couple reasons motels won't work.

1. 5 dogs

2. No motels where I hunt.

Kansas Big Dog
19 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

Not to hijack, but for the guys that do live or spend a good deal of time living out of their home on wheels what is the cost of living comparison between a brick and mortar home you have paid off and a home on wheels you have paid off per month?  

I can see borrowing money for real estate, it has a chance to appreciate in value, but any thing that is a depreciable asset such as vehicles, boats, motorhome I will just pay cash. 

Kansas Big Dog
2 hours ago, Curt said:

KBD,

Just a FWIW factoid.  I'm fairly tall at 6'4" and there is no way I could comfortably drive a C Class motorhome any distance.  They just don't build the drivers seat area large enough to accommodate tall people.  Have no idea how tall you might be but if you're over 6' you might want to try driving one if you haven't already to check out the leg room.

Yep, well aware of that, but you need to remember I drive an Escape now and I don't think there is much difference.

blanked
43 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

I can see borrowing money for real estate, it has a chance to appreciate in value, but any thing that is a depreciable asset such as vehicles, boats, motorhome I will just pay cash. 

me personally i dont understand this.   interest rates today are 2.5% to 3.5% for vehicles.  not sure what an RV is, but i am making 15% on my money in the market  .  why pull money out that makes 15% to save 5%

Don Steese
4 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

After all the excellent comments, this is what I am looking at now.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Winnebago-MINI-WINNIE-29B-5005659917

That looks like it would be a lot more comfortable than the other two you were thinking about. Slides give you a lot more living space but are another thing that can give you problems. One thing to check is if you can still get back to the bathroom with the slides in or do you have to put them out them out every time you stop to take a whiz??

Rockdoc
14 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

That looks like it would be a lot more comfortable than the other two you were thinking about. Slides give you a lot more living space but are another thing that can give you problems. One thing to check is if you can still get back to the bathroom with the slides in or do you have to put them out them out every time you stop to take a whiz??

That's what pee bottles are for. I find that 70oz picante bottles with their large opening and capacity work great. They're also nice when your staying overnight in a rest area and you don't have your furnace turned on and it's cold, just roll over, use the bottle, recap the bottle and go back to sleep. I suppose you could say it's... easy peesy!

Steve

Don Steese
Just now, Rockdoc said:

That's what pee bottles are for. I find that 70oz picante bottles with their large opening and capacity work great. They're also nice when your staying overnight in a rest area and you don't have your furnace turned on and it's cold, just roll over, use the bottle, recap the bottle and go back to sleep. I suppose you could say it's... easy peesy!

Steve

Sounds great, now if I can just convince Judy of the practicality?? 😃Our Class A has one huge slide that expands the living space a whole lot but the unit is completely usable with the slide in. When we're traveling and only staying somewhere for one night we usually leave it in. 

marsingbob

Bobman was exactly right on Ford model years.  The 2005 transmission is nice, but not absolutely critical.  The spark plug issue with early Ford V10's is also not critical and I would take an earlier model, but it would depend on price.  The spark plug problem is relatively infrequent if service on plugs is done correctly, and it normally can be corrected without pulling the heads for a cost of around $2000 ( which by motor home maintenance standards is almost small change).  For me, 40,000 miles would be tops for a used class C.  I cannot give much help on higher quality models except to look at new price when they were first sold,. and compare it to others.  My Bigfoot was made in Canada and specifically designed for super cold weather, but they are expensive, and difficult to find, particularly if you are east of Colorado.  You should expect to drain the fresh water system in most C's in Novemeber or December in Kansas, the Dakotas or Montana.  The gray and blackwater tanks should be ok if you add RV anti-freeze to them and you can carry fresh water in 5 gallon containers.

A fifth wheel has disadvantages.  You need a heavy duty 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull one, preferably a dually.  Rough riding, cumbersome and fairly high maintenance.  Somewhat more hassle to set up than a C pulling a light vehicle.  

Fire Marshal Bill

KBD, it's been 8 years since my wife and I sold our class C MH. It was very similar to the one you are looking at. We traveled all over the country with 2 ESS and had plenty of room. 

I'd go for it. Good luck with your decision. 

UplandHntr
5 minutes ago, Fire Marshal Bill said:

KBD, it's been 8 years since my wife and I sold our class C MH. It was very similar to the one you are looking at. We traveled all over the country with 2 ESS and had plenty of room. 

I'd go for it. Good luck with your decision. 

How cold of weather did you have it down to?

bobman

What I like about a fifth wheel toyhauler or a trailer with 5-6 dogs I would have a place to be with them if I had a truck problem and you. And you find a garage that can handle a truck repair easily even in the sticks 

Ive been looking at ATC toyhaulers so Can set it up spartan like I want most motor homes are decorated like I picture a whore house lol ( never been in one fwiw)

I have a one ton dually already so that’s not an issue for me

Rockdoc
45 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Sounds great, now if I can just convince Judy of the practicality?? 😃Our Class A has one huge slide that expands the living space a whole lot but the unit is completely usable with the slide in. When we're traveling and only staying somewhere for one night we usually leave it in. 

Don, have Judy checkout female camping urinals on Amazon. It may just convince her of the practicality. I've noticed, when I'm overnighting in my Caravan especially, that it's a whole lot easier going back to sleep if I don't have to get up and move around a lot when doing my 3AM nature call.

Steve

Fire Marshal Bill
1 minute ago, UplandHntr said:

How cold of weather did you have it down to?

We did a lot of winter camping and never had a problem. We took the necessary precautions with respect to water freezing, ie; keeping the heat on even when we were not there. We left it up North in ski country for the winter. We would go up on weekends. The campground would provide us with a 100 lb propane tank for the winter.