REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Kansas Big Dog

Class C motor homes

walt lister
17 hours ago, bobman said:

2003 and later have better heads previous model spit plugs because the aluminum heads don’t have enough threads, after 2005 ford used two piece plugs which caused another problem because carbon would build up on them and they break off when you try and change them

theres newer one piece plugs available to prevent that issue do some research the 2004 and 2005 -newer are good engines if you deal with the two piece plug issue

have a ford mechanic change them there a special tool for fishing out the plug ends if they break

its a good engine overall

2005 and newer will have the torque shift 5 speed trans which would be a worthwhile consideration IMO

See this about the spark plug problem-------------------- https://lasmotorhomes.com/case-studies/ford-v10-triton-engine-problems/

gaberdeen
6 hours ago, terrym said:

How would a 5.7 Hemi handle that size? It has a 10,000 lb rating, not that a trailer that size would hit 10,000 lbs?

My 5.7 Hemi handles my camper no problem. About 6000 lb.

0AC3335D-4813-4CA2-ADB9-99A0778C752F.jpeg

terrym
1 hour ago, gaberdeen said:

My 5.7 Hemi handles my camper no problem. About 6000 lb.

0AC3335D-4813-4CA2-ADB9-99A0778C752F.jpeg

Yup. That’s pretty well what I’m thinking. Spot it in a reasonable place and hunt out of the truck during the day. 

walt lister
50 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

So, the heads on the 2006 and newer are a new design? 

That's what I was told when I was looking at a pre-2003 class C MH. I think there is a fix with some kind of threaded inserts but supposed to be expensive. Google may show it.

marsingbob

The heads are all the same basic design, but the problem was due to the original head casting having only about 3 threads to hold the plugs.  Over time, the length of plug engagement has been lengthened, the plugs changed somewhat, and better procedures have evolved when or if a plug has to be changed (spark plugs in a V10 Ford are scheduled for replacement every 100,000 miles, so normally there is no reason to remove and replace them).  IF a plug is blown out, Ford and others developed a threaded insert that is screwed into the head to hold the plug.  To do this to all 10 cylinders if the owner feels it necessary, costs $2000 or somewhat more.  Sounds like quite a bit, but to replace many of the components on a newer diesel are $3000 to $5000.  As an example, if a head gasket on a Chevy duramax leaks (not uncommon), step one of the repair procedure is "remove the cab of the truck".

The Ford V10, beside being the only game in town for large gasoline engines, is pretty reliable overall.  Again, those from 2003 on are more desirable.  The 2004 and earlier Ford transmissions are durable, but the 2005 and later have more gears, better spacing and better holding on hills.  Again I would take a 2001 with 25,000 miles over a 2005 with 75,000 miles assuming the price on both reflects the age.

bobman

The newer heads used a two piece plug that would break and the solution was to change them at 40 k miles not wait to 100k miles where the carbon build up cause the issue. Later an aftermarket plug ( non ford) was made for the newer heads to eliminate the problem.

after around 2005 or 6 they developed a three valve head that flowed better and produced more torque and better fuel efficiency but it wasn’t used in class C’s because the econoline platform doesn’t have to space to fit them in

class As got them as did f 450s and 550s

To cut to the chss if you buy a class C buy a 2005 or newer in a E-450 chassis with the 5 speed transmission.  Then check if it has the old style two piece plugs have them changed to the new style and you will have a good unit

delamination is the next real thing you need to be a fanatic about making sure it doesn’t exist

Jalinkly

I have learned a lot by reading this.  Great thread and great information.

Brad Eden

This thread promoted me to do a search for RV's in my general area just to see what was out there. The used smaller class C even B's are far and few between up here. RV dealerships have low inventory and the ones on Craigslist and the like are mostly yard ornament fixxeruppers. We aren't in the market just yet, and may rent an RV to make an excursion out West at some point to see a couple states on my bucket list. (Wyoming and Oregon.)

Kansas Big Dog
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

This thread promoted me to do a search for RV's in my general area just to see what was out there. The used smaller class C even B's are far and few between up here. RV dealerships have low inventory and the ones on Craigslist and the like are mostly yard ornament fixxeruppers. We aren't in the market just yet, and may rent an RV to make an excursion out West at some point to see a couple states on my bucket list. (Wyoming and Oregon.)

There aren't any close here either. The ones I am considering are in FL, AZ and MN. I would drive the Ranchero Deluxe and pull it back with the RV. But, by the time I will buy (30 days until we close on the house), I don't know where I will go. May drive to Maine and park at your house for the summer. 😜

Brad Eden
4 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

There aren't any close here either. The ones I am considering are in FL, AZ and MN. I would drive the Ranchero Deluxe and pull it back with the RV. But, by the time I will buy (30 days until we close on the house), I don't know where I will go. May drive to Maine and park at your house for the summer. 😜

That's the second time you've said that. Now I'm getting worried....😳😉

If you do show up, you get the third bathroom....outhouse...

blanked

How does one down size from a house to an RV full time.   I can’t imagine not even having a base some where

Rockdoc
25 minutes ago, blanked said:

How does one down size from a house to an RV full time.   I can’t imagine not even having a base some where

The RV is your base, your home is wherever you park it.

There are four reasons why I love my RV lifestyle:

1. If I don't like the view - I turn the key.

2. If I don't like the neighbors - I turn the key.

3. If I don't like the weather - I turn the key.

And the best reason…

4. You meet the friendliest people sitting in a campground.

Steve

PS A surprising number of people live like I do and they span the entire age and economic spectrum. BTW, not all of the wealthy RVers live in huge motorhomes I have a good friend who's quite wealthy who lives quite happily in a 25' travel trailer. However, he did recently upgrade from a 19' TT. He spends winters in AZ and spring, summer and fall traveling, hiking, fishing, and hunting all over the west.

Kansas Big Dog
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

If you do show up, you get the third bathroom....outhouse...

Brad, Class Cs have there own bathrooms. But, you might look out one morning and see me utilizing your out house.

image.thumb.png.5ed674f00fdb70ee42b400e1af160e63.png

River19

Last year Nancy and I dove into the travel trailer world with a smallish ~24' Winnie Mini for the two of us plus the dogs.  Went that route as we have the trucks to haul it and it makes not only recreation easier and cheaper (yes I've done the math) but we can also use it for horse shows vs. lodging and possibly kennels.  Of course for horse shows I have to be able to pull it with the Lexus GX....which handles it adequately as long as I do my part.  The Ram 2500 gets the horse trailer but is a dream with the TT for biking trips etc.

Depending on my uses I prefer the trailer vs. a motorhome.  Anytime we wanted to go anywhere we would have to take the motor home unless we go the TOAD route and at that point if I'm towing something I might as well tow a damn TT and have the truck.

RocDoc is right, interesting people at campgrounds, some awesome, some make me homicidal but that is kinda like the general population of the world too.

Mike - Sounds like a fun adventure and being mobile has a lot of appeal.