REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bird Buster

Garmin Pro 550 Plus

Bird Buster

Who is using the Pro 550 plus as your main handheld for training/tracking and how do you like it overall? Pros/ cons. Currently was using Alpha for tracking and Garmin Sport Pro for ecollar running 3 dogs. Hated Alpha for quick instant correction. So I have traded my Alpha handheld for A 550 Plus handheld . Know I will like 550 better for training using my TT15 collars. This will eliminate separate ecollars on eaCh dog saving time and simplifying charging. Will miss some features of Alpha so may pick up a used Astro 430 later. I also use a Fenix 3 watch now which I love. Tks for feedback. 

parker 20

I use the 550+ and love it.If you are the kind of guy that needs to know everything possible about your dog s running then it might not be for you.

It has tone,correction,yards to your dog,direction and north ,its good for 3 dogs uses the same collar tt5 or15 so if you don't like it your collars are still good.It does not have direction to truck and lots of other goodies that I frankly do not use.One collar with gps and correction is all I need.

I bought my 550+ from Front Range Gun Dog who is a contributor to UJ and a very nice and knowledgeable guy.

oldleo

I also just purchased 550+.    After lots of research and emailing with folks using one I stuck with the simplicity of dog correction and finding the dog. 

Bird Buster

I started with Garmin 320 handheld and DC30 and 40 collars back when I ran beagles. Then I made the jump to the Alpha with 3 TT15 Collars on my 3 brits. I thought I would like a one collar set up for training /tracking. But for 3 dogs Alpha for correction was too complicated. So I went back to separate e collar set up. Tired of dual collars again so Pro 550 plus should do the trick with my TT15 collars. Also use fenix watch which I love. I traded the Alpha even on the Pro 550 plus thru Outdoor Dog Supply . I should have by this wknd to run on dogs. 

sharptail grouse
14 hours ago, oldleo said:

I also just purchased 550+.    After lots of research and emailing with folks using one I stuck with the simplicity of dog correction and finding the dog. 

Same here.

Bird Buster

Love the Pro 550 plus so far. Really love correction simplicity for my 3 dogs and ease of use. Fits my needs best at this stage. 

Dogmountain

I'm a big fan of the simplicity and instant correction of the Garmin Pro 550 Plus over the Alpha 100 transmitter, especially when running a multi dog set-up.  I still take my Alpha 100 transmitter for mapping info.  Adding the Garmin Pro 550 Transmitter to the Alpha set up is a nice option if you are running up to three dogs.  Both the Pro 550 plus and Alpha 100 systems utilize the same T5/TT15 dog collars.  Please let us know how we can help.  Front Range Gun Dog is a proud sponsor of the Upland Journal.

20190217_141346.jpg

GeorgeE

Pulling up an old post, but looking hard at this combo...Especially since I use my phone for mapping (OnX)...

s.davis

I ran a pair of them this year. I hunt with labs, and have bit of an aversion to electronics in the field, especially Garmin gear-centric goofiness, but I must say they are tough, up to the task, and they work as advertised.

Jalinkly

I just ordered a 550 plus two dog bundle. Looking forward to using it. 

Dogmountain

The PRO 550 Plus in on sale 06Mar-30Mar2020 at Front Range Gun Dog.  Front Range Gun Dog is a UJ Sponsor.

Garmin Pro Sale 50 off UJ.jpg