REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Upland_Hunter

CAN TURKEYS BE HUNTED WITH A .410?

MAArcher
23 minutes ago, bobman said:

I don't know if this chart is accurate but at 50 yards a 410 load would have a lot of holes in it, if this chart is correct its already a 40 inch spread at 40 yards

Bob, that's for traditional chokes and ammo. 

They are already putting over 30 #9 TSS pellets into six inches at 40 yards with the TSS ammo.  That's with a regular Remington 870 fixed full choke.  Guys are doing even better with custom chokes.  And I can't find it on the web right now but some guy was getting fair patterns with #6 TSS at 50 yards through a custom choked gun.

The super high density #9 from a .410 hits as hard at 40 yards as #5 lead through a 20 gauge.

bobman

Ok

im sure they have new stuff out I’ve never seen 

Brad Eden
57 minutes ago, tut said:

This whole turkey hunting thing is different.  Think almost rifle like in many ways.  

Spoken like an earnest wild turkey killer, that I know you are.  Shooting wild turkeys the traditional way, in the head and neck is not like shooting flying.

Yours Truly,

Dr Obvious

RayB

In TX it's legal to hunt turkeys with a .22 the only exception is in East TX where there are a few Eastern WT shotguns only

Spin

In California you can hunt turkey with an air rifle. Head shots are the name of the game there.

C.J.L.
On 3/21/2019 at 12:13 PM, Brad Eden said:

That doesn't make sense. Great Love are strong words. If I hated them like so many people apparently do, then I'd likely try and wipe them out using a machine gun or grenade. In the meantime I love to hunt and kill gobblers in Spring with a 20 gauge and sometimes a 12 gauge and sometimes a compound bow and then eat them.

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

Hey are you standing upright behind that turkey?  Chimp legs and all that.  

Spin

That's one honey of a bird Brad! 

WMassGriff

Just remember that Turkey hunting is supposed to be a calling sport and not a long range shooting contest. By mistake in range estimation I have taken birds at 50+yds. I know what the 40 yard pattern looked like so I guess luck was with me!

Regardless of gauge used you need to pattern your choke/shell combo and have a good sighting system to take advantage of those tight patterns. I have shot wads through turkey necks at close range which shows you have little leeway in aiming. My sweet spot is from 28-35 yards and if working out of a blind try to set my decoys up so that I have a high probability of getting a shot at that range.

I do use hevishot in my 20 but size 6. Patterns better than 7's for me. In my 12, my money shell for year's has been Nitro's 4,5,7 hevishot blend.

Kemo Sabe
3 hours ago, MAArcher said:

The super high density #9 from a .410 hits as hard at 40 yards as #5 lead through a 20 gauge.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the TSS tungsten composite product that's made in China, and has an 18 g/cc density level.

If so, such a #9 TSS pellet weighs out at 1.2 grains and a regular lead #7 1/2 pellet weighs about at 1.27 grains. In reality, the TSS pellet is not going to be any more lethal (if at all) penetration wise than a # 7 1/2  lead pellet. And therefore, your #9 TSS pellet isn't going to come anywhere near a #5 lead pellet in lethality. 

MAArcher
10 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

I'm assuming that you're talking about the TSS tungsten composite product that's made in China, and has an 18 g/cc density level.

If so, such a #9 TSS pellet weighs out at 1.2 grains and a regular lead #7 1/2 pellet weighs about at 1.27 grains. In reality, the TSS pellet is not going to be any more lethal (if at all) penetration wise than a # 7 1/2  lead pellet. And therefore, your #9 TSS pellet isn't going to come anywhere near a #5 lead pellet in lethality. 

https://www.outdoorlife.com/review-federal-tss-410-turkey-load#page-2

There's other websites too.  I'd rather see #7 1/2 TSS in the 410 for long shots but its not commercially available.  Hevi-Z us available in #6 but its not as dense at TSS. 

I'd love to try them out of my little CZ ringneck .410, but I already have a lifetime supply of High Density ammo in 12 gauge (3" & 3 1/2")the I got for deal of gunbroker.  

Brad Eden
59 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Hey are you standing upright behind that turkey?  Chimp legs and all that.  

Yes.

Kemo Sabe
47 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/review-federal-tss-410-turkey-load#page-2

There's other websites too.  I'd rather see #7 1/2 TSS in the 410 for long shots but its not commercially available.  Hevi-Z us available in #6 but its not as dense at TSS. 

I'd love to try them out of my little CZ ringneck .410, but I already have a lifetime supply of High Density ammo in 12 gauge (3" & 3 1/2")the I got for deal of gunbroker.  

I read your article. 

I think you have to honor the math and physics of all of this. A #9 TSS weight wise is pretty much equal to a #7 1/2 lead pellet, as is it's penetration and lethality. And, lead #7 1/2s are going to put more pellets in a "12 inch target and it's 6 inch center circle" than a similar load of lead #5s. But neither the lead #7 1/2s and the TSS #9s are going to have the same lethal penetrations as the lead #5s do at 40 yards when tested correctly, and not using a can of pork and beans.  

Sorry, that article is just a bunch of unsupported, unscientific hype. 

MAArcher
1 hour ago, Kemo Sabe said:

I read your article. 

I think you have to honor the math and physics of all of this. A #9 TSS weight wise is pretty much equal to a #7 1/2 lead pellet, as is it's penetration and lethality. And, lead #7 1/2s are going to put more pellets in a "12 inch target and it's 6 inch center circle" than a similar load of lead #5s. But neither the lead #7 1/2s and the TSS #9s are going to have the same lethal penetrations as the lead #5s do at 40 yards when tested correctly, and not using a can of pork and beans.  

Sorry, that article is just a bunch of unsupported, unscientific hype. 

You’re forgetting about frontal surface area and aerodynamics (ballistic coefficient).  The denser projectile will retain velocity and kinetic energy further and penetrate deeper.   While a #9 TSS and a #7 1/2 lead may weigh the same, the #7 1/2 sheds velocity faster due to its lower ballistic coefficient.  

lee sykes

I read the article as well.  I remain unconvinced that the no. 9 shot is good for 50 yards and the bean can shot falls far short of science.

MAArcher
28 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I read the article as well.  I remain unconvinced that the no. 9 shot is good for 50 yards and the bean can shot falls far short of science.

I’m skeptical of #9 TSS at 50 myself.  The test, as unscientific as it was, was at 40. But the point I’m trying to make is that with TSS you can use smaller shot and a .410 bore to kill a turkey at 50.  I’m guessing a #7 1/2 TSS load is around the corner as soon as more guys do it with hand loads and custom chokes.