CAN TURKEYS BE HUNTED WITH A .410?

Upland_Hunter

27 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

I’m skeptical of #9 TSS at 50 myself.  The test, as unscientific as it was, was at 40. But the point I’m trying to make is that with TSS you can use smaller shot and a .410 bore to kill a turkey at 50.  I’m guessing a #7 1/2 TSS load is around the corner as soon as more guys do it with hand loads and custom chokes.

I guess I don't see the point in trying to kill a turkey at fifty yards with a .410.   Is it like puttng a man on the moon to some people? 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GLS

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• lee sykes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Begs the question, "Why would you want to?" 

Holy smokes. I was away from this thread for a couple of days and it sure gathered steam.  I've decided to chime in since any thread I post on immediately dies, (it is my superpower).  First off, the

Not my biggest but my first 410 turkey   22 lbs 13 oz 9 1/2 in beard 1 in spurs 33 yards  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, lee sykes said:

I guess I don't see the point in trying to kill a turkey at fifty yards with a .410.   Is it like puttng a man on the moon to some people? 

Its about breaking new ground.  I haven't killed a deer with a long bow at 10 yards and I haven't shot one with a rifle at 1,000; I'd be proud to do either.  Lots of people like to do things that their told they can't do.  So I guess it is like putting a man on the moon.

I turkey hunt with a guy who uses the same load he's always used and he knows his maximum range is around 35 yards, regular lead and no sights.  We hunt shoulder to shoulder a lot and I used to get a kick out of it when I'd whisper "Kill that turkey, he's hung up over there." and he'd say "Are you crazy, he's way out of range."; and I'd raze up with my red dot and 2oz of high density #5's and dump the turkey at 55 yards and my friend would just sit there and say "Damn, that was a poke!" 

I also spend more time trying to get my son in front of a turkey than I do hunting for myself so I tend to shoot the first available so I can move on to striper fishing.  A lot of times that means making a long shot.  Its fun to get them in close and I've literally had them step over my legs, but I don't always have the time to put in to get that.

I was very skeptical about #9 TSS.  The ballistics programs indicate that they have plenty of  energy to give 1.5 inches of penetration in ballistic gel at 60 yards.  I can tell you that the setup that I am using ( Beretta youth 391 with a pure gold choke) will place over 300 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards and it is an honest 60 yard gun.  That does not mean that I am going to try to shoot one at 60 yards but I misjudged one in a field two years ago at 57 steps and he dropped like someone had pulled the plug.  These loads shoot so tight that the secret is to figure out how to put the core of the pattern on his head.  I have moved to a red dot sight and still try my best to limit my shots to 40 yards and I shoot a lot to assure I know where the gun actually shoots.  Trust me, #9 TSS will break wing bones at 57 steps.  I really do not know how to compare it to any  sized lead.

2 hours ago, MAArcher said:

You’re forgetting about frontal surface area and aerodynamics (ballistic coefficient).  The denser projectile will retain velocity and kinetic energy further and penetrate deeper.   While a #9 TSS and a #7 1/2 lead may weigh the same, the #7 1/2 sheds velocity faster due to its lower ballistic coefficient.  

Sorry, but I’m not forgetting about anything. It just boils down to:

Force = Mass x Acceleration. 

The mass weight of a TSS #9 pellet is pretty much identical to that of a Lead #7 1/2 pellet. So if the acceleration is identical, then the forces are identical as well. And that force is substantial less than what you would get using a #5 pellet. 

It’s just that simple. 

homelessadam
40 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I don’t see the point of killing one at 50

yards with any gun but I also don’t see the point of decoys,blinds,or fanning. 

Might as well shoot them out of the truck with a rifle the way turkey hunting is going.

homelessadam
9 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

The mass weight of a TSS #9 pellet is pretty much identical to that of a Lead #7 1/2 pellet. So if the acceleration is identical, then the forces are identical as well. And that force is substantial less than what you would get using a #5 pellet. 

It’s just that simple. 

And most tss loads are slower due to high pressure from harder pellets that don’t set back. 

1 minute ago, Kemo Sabe said:

It’s just that simple. 

I'm sorry, it isn't at all that simple at all; the force formula isn't even the tip of the iceberg.  Read up on "External Ballistics", specifically "Ballistic Coefficient" and you will see.  

5 minutes ago, homelessadam said:

And most tss loads are slower due to high pressure from harder pellets that don’t set back. 

This can be overcome with lighter loads.  

46 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

I'm sorry, it isn't at all that simple at all; the force formula isn't even the tip of the iceberg.  Read up on "External Ballistics", specifically "Ballistic Coefficient" and you will see.  

My money is on that Ike Newton got its right, and you’re dealing with a marketing hype.

That’s not to say this TSS isn’t great stuff. I mean, the thought of using size 7 1/2s that are going to behavior similarly to lead 6s seems fantastic. But I’m not drinking any of that “9s for 50 yard turkey” Kool Aide.

14 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

My money is on that Ike Newton got its right, and you’re dealing with a marketing hype.

That’s not to say this TSS isn’t great stuff. I mean, the thought of using size 7 1/2s that are going to behavior similarly to lead 6s seems fantastic. But I’m not drinking any of that “9s for 50 yard turkey” Kool Aide.

The 9’s at 50 is a stretch I agree, but ballistic coefficient isn’t marketing, its applied physics.

homelessadam

I was around turkey forums when Hal first pimped tss. 

He’s a great salesman and a lot of tiny holes look good on paper.

46 minutes ago, homelessadam said:

I was around turkey forums when Hal first pimped tss. 

He’s a great salesman and a lot of tiny holes look good on paper.

So.....what does that mean?  You don’t believe high density shot performs better than lead?

I've shot a couple gobblers at 50 yards, one over that. I had worked one for quite a spell in a blueberry barren. Very reluctant bird. Finally it committed but popped out on the side trail where I hid, at around 30 yards, saw me and starting high footing it. I threw up the shotgun and dusted it. More instinctual than anything else. I was surprised at how far the shot was when I walked it off. 53-54 yards if I remember that right. I learned the full capability of my 20 gauge HeviShot dedicated shotgun. That's a real good thing to know. The other bird was gobbling but henned up and I managed to entice him and the hen out of the woods into a field, but she led him at an angle in front but going away. I knew it was a poke, took a deep breath and shot him. My buddy Scott looked at me and then to the flopping Tom and said "Are you kidding me!?" Doesn't mean I make a habit out of shooting birds at distance. I don't typically need to and other birds are taken from 10 yards and well within 40 yards. I didn't use a decoy or a blind for either of those long range birds so maybe I get a little credit. Maybe not. Gawd forbid anyone kills a wild turkey unless in a loin cloth using a flint headed spear. People just can't stop swerving out of their lane and telling everyone else how to drive, human nature I suppose. Gobble. Gobble.