REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Field Grade

Handheld GPS advice

Field Grade

Hey folks, I am planning some backcountry canoe/fishing trips in northern Maine and Canada.

In Maine during many past trips, I have always got by with just map and compass. But with all the endless amount of water in Quebec I can see where a handheld GPS would be a necessity.

Can anyone recommend one in the $300 range. I do not need alot of bells and whistles, just something fairly rugged and compact that I can use for basic navigation, plotting waypoints and the like. 

I see that there is a somewhat new version of the Garmin etrex out (etrex30x), looks like it may be along lines of what I am looking for, this version has been upgraded with a compass, expanded memory, higher resolution screen.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/518048

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

rjj

rideold

Keep your map and compass and get a subscription to OnX maps for your cell.  Load the maps you need for offline use and carry a power pack.

BBlizzard18

It looks like you found what you were looking for in that price range.  I have the Etrex 20x,  and the Astro for upland hunting.  I do wish I spent the extra $100 for the electronic compass and sensors on the 30x.  I think the 30x will give you an accurate compass even when you’re sitting still or poor satellite reception? I think that’s what the difference is, I can’t completely remember though, it was a few years ago. 

I lost reception last fall tracking a deer in some deep woods with heavy cover, it had me wondering if the 30x would’ve kept an accurate compass, luckily I keep a regular compass in my pack.  

Clueless1

I have OnX on my phone and was going to suggest it but not sure if it covers Canada or not.  I have an eTrex 20 that has been great up until I got OnX, I would think the 30 would be that much better.   

Field Grade

Thanks, fellas.

I am not planning to get rid of map & compass, just want to add the GPS as a fallback since navigating the million waterways/streams/rivers/flowages/lakes in, say, northern Quebec looks pretty challenging, especially since I would expect little or no cell coverage there.

MAArcher

Get something with satellite imaging and topo overlay if you can.    I have birdseye maps for Maine on my Alph and love being able to see features you wouldn't otherwise know where there. 

boutdoors4

Google Earth on your cell phone can be a big help

MAArcher

There won't be cell coverage in much of northern Maine and Canada.

Clueless1

Don't need cell service for OnX maps.  If that's the route you decide I can help you out.  VERY simple, so simple even I can do it.