Greg Hartman

Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

Greg Hartman

I am really hoping I don't need to do this, but my Honda was recently damaged rather badly by hitting an enormous pothole at speed (thank you for the efficient use of our tax money, PennDOT, you SOB's!! >:( ) with no recourse due to sovereign immunity; plus my 16 year old Jeep is getting pretty tired, so I'm starting to think about a new vehicle.  Now that I no longer need to deal with getting my wife back and forth between a wheelchair and a vehicle, and no longer need a coupe plus a 4x4,  I want to go back to a pick-up.  This will likely be my last new vehicle (it will probably live longer than I do), so I want to make a good choice.

The truck will need to be able to be flat-towed behind my MH, it will need to be able to handle rough weather so I can back and forth to my home up on the mountain in winter; it will need to serve as a backcountry hunting vehicle/shooting brake; it may need to tow about 5,000 pounds; it will need to be able to do thing like carry my 4-wheeler; AND (this is important) it will need to serve as reasonably comfortable and efficient everyday transportation.  I will only occasionally take more than two people plus dogs, so I don't need a Super-Crew.  It need not be "fun" - I have my little open two-seater for that. 

The current full-sized pick-ups are massive and I don't need or want to have something that big as an everyday driver, nor do I need that much hauling or towing capacity - I'm not a contractor or a farmer.  So, I've been looking at the new Ranger in 4x4, even though a better deal might be had on the full-sized F150.  From what I can see, a properly optioned 4x4 Ranger with a base Crew-Cab and 6' bed meets all of my requirements.  Thoughts?

Other viable alternatives?

MAArcher
9 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

I am really hoping I don't need to do this, but my Honda was recently damaged rather badly by hitting an enormous pothole at speed (thank you for the efficient use of our tax money, PennDOT, you SOB's!! >:( ) with no recourse due to sovereign immunity; plus my 16 year old Jeep is getting pretty tired, so I'm starting to think about a new vehicle.  Now that I no longer need to deal with getting my wife back and forth between a wheelchair and a vehicle,and no longer need a coupe plus a 4x4,  I want to go back to a pick-up.  This will likely be my last new vehicle, so I want to make a good choice.

The truck will need to be able to be flat-towed behind my MH, it will need to be able to handle rough weather so I can back and forth to my home up on the mountain in winter; it will need to serve as a backcountry hunting vehicle/shooting brake; it may need to tow about 5,000 pounds; it will need to be able to do thing like carry my 4-wheeler; AND (this is important) it will need to serve as reasonably comfortable and efficient everyday transportation.  I will only occasionally take more than two people plus dogs, so I don't need a Super-Crew.  It need not be "fun" - I have my little open two-seater for that. 

The current full-sized pick-ups are massive and I don't need or want to have something that big as an everyday driver, nor do I need that much hauling or towing capacity - I'm not a contractor or a farmer.  So, I've been looking at the new Ranger in 4x4, even though a better deal might be had on the full-sized F150.  From what I can see, a properly optioned 4x4 Ranger with a base Crew-Cab and 6' bed meets all of my requirements.  Thoughts?

Other viable alternatives?

I haven't seen one available yet, but I'm interested in the Jeep Gladiator diesel.  

WABBIT-SLAYER

I looked at one, a Crew Cab 4x4. I sat in it and it was cramped for me. I am 6ft.1 inches tall and 270 lbs. The rear seat area was cramped as well. I have a 2017 Escape and maybe it's just me, but it seems to have more room in the back seat area than the Ranger. I ended up getting another F-150 Super Crew 4x4. Got the Lariat with the 2.7 L Eco-Boost engine. Gas mileage is not that much different than the Ranger and has PLENTY of power.

PaFlyfisher
14 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

I haven't seen one available yet, but I'm interested in the Jeep Gladiator diesel.  

They will be INCREDIBLY expensive. Cool as hell tho!

Greg, cue 100 comments that you should simply buy a full size because they are cheaper or close in price,  fuel economy is only a few MPG different, etc. However, I'm with you, the mid-size is far more appealing to some, myself included. They essential the size full size trucks used to be until the early 2000s size explosion began. I think the Ranger looks very nice, I'd look hard at the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado, and the Tacoma. I think they are all neat!

Natty Bumpo

I was interested in the new Ranger as well. Have always had F150s and have recently moved to a condo. A F150 will fit in a condo garage, but "just". So I bot a CPO Canyon, which has been VG so far. I have seen some pretty negative reviews on the Canyon/Colorado forum re the new Ranger, which maybe could be suspected. I probably will wait to have another look whenever the "2nd gen" Ranger comes out. I am seeing a whole bunch of new mid-sized PUs around this town.

Greg Hartman
35 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

HUGE cool factor, but out of my price range, plus heavy to tow behind the MH. 

pjourn

If you only need seating for two people and two dogs, it's difficult to beat a jeep. Now I have an f-150 because I need seating for 5 and the dogs, but my Jeep GC was a great hunting, boat hauling, back country rig that did great on the interstate as well.

Greg Hartman
22 minutes ago, WABBIT-SLAYER said:

I looked at one, a Crew Cab 4x4. I sat in it and it was cramped for me. I am 6ft.1 inches tall and 270 lbs. The rear seat area was cramped as well. I ended up getting another F-150 Super Crew 4x4. Got the Lariat with the 2.7 L Eco-Boost engine. Gas mileage is not that much different than the Ranger and has PLENTY of power.

I'm pretty much the average-size guy for whom things are built, plus Nancy struggles to get to 5'. so I don't think we'll be cramped.  Yeah, the back seats in a Crew Cab are cramped, but, 99% of the time, only the dogs will be riding there.

Greg Hartman
24 minutes ago, Bede said:

They will be INCREDIBLY expensive. Cool as hell tho!

Greg, cue 100 comments that you should simply buy a full size because they are cheaper or close in price,  fuel economy is only a few MPG different, etc. However, I'm with you, the mid-size is far more appealing to some, myself included. They essential the size full size trucks used to be until the early 2000s size explosion began. I think the Ranger looks very nice, I'd look hard at the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado, and the Tacoma. I think they are all neat!

I just don't want such a big vehicle as everyday transportation, Bede.  The Tacoma is nice, but cannot be flat-towed, so that's a non-starter.  I intend to check out the Chevy Colorado - don't know much about them.

PaFlyfisher
1 minute ago, Greg Hartman said:

I just don't want such a big vehicle as everyday transportation, Bede.  The Tacoma is nice, but cannot be flat-towed, so that's a non-starter.  I intend to check out the Chevy Colorado - don't know much about them.

I couldn't agree more. No desire for a full size truck. I realize I'm the outlier here. 

lee sykes
35 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

I'd go with the Chevy.  I asked my mechanic said that is what he would choose.  He likes and drives a dodge but says chevys and toyotas are easiest to work on.   A  part time neighbor (summer only in Maine.   Maryland resident)  Showed up last year with a nice little new black chevy truck. It wasn't full sized but bigger than the old S-10.  He's the kind of guy (science teacher) who researches everything.  not sure which model. 

Greg Hartman
12 minutes ago, pjourn said:

If you only need seating for two people and two dogs, it's difficult to beat a jeep. Now I have an f-150 because I need seating for 5 and the dogs, but my Jeep GC was a great hunting, boat hauling, back country rig that did great on the interstate as well.

I've had a Jeep for a very long time - still have it.  It works great as a toad; as a rough weather machine; and as a hunting/shooting brake.  BUT, I can't tow much with it, can't haul much of anything and it's a poorly-made, hard-riding, bare-bones thing - unpleasant to drive everyday.  Since I have had a regular car as a daily driver, that hasn't been an issue, but if I am going to spring for a new vehicle (UGH!), I'd like to reduce the number of vehicles I support (we have 5 right now for 2 people).  I want to be able to do some more towing and hauling; and a nicely optioned pick-up that isn't too big should make comfortable daily transport, too.

Greg Hartman
1 minute ago, lee sykes said:

I'd go with the Chevy.  I asked my mechanic what he would choose.  He likes and drives a dodge but says chevys and toyotas are easiest to work on.   A  part time neighbor (summer only in Maine.   Maryland resident)  Showed up last year with a nice little new black chevy truck. It wasn't full sized but bigger than the old S-10.  He's the kind of guy (science teacher) who researches everything.  not sure which model. 

Probably the Colorado, Lee.  They look nice, but I don't know whether they can be flat-towed.

quailguy

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/ranger/

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/colorado/?utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google&utm_account=main_search&utm_campaign=trademark_words_make_model_tier_3&utm_adgroup=chevrolet-colorado-edmunds&utm_term=chevrolet_colorado_edmunds&utm_device=t&utm_matchtype=e&utm_targetid=aud-306848099722:kwd-474924193156&utm_locinterest=&utm_locphysical=9006850&utm_keyword=chevrolet colorado edmunds&utm_content=227548707083&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy979y9yn4QIVAp6fCh2JrAsDEAAYAyAAEgIHBPD_BwE

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/ridgeline/

Seems like the Ranger could be the best if a guy really needs to go 4x4ing much. As I think you do, plus it has more towing capability.  

Personally, I’d get a certified used F150 FX4 with the big 6 eco boost engine. Yah, it’s bigger but it is much more capable and can go off road pretty well. 

Dunno about the capability to be a toad though.   Put it on a trailer ?  

At any rate, if I were going on months long boonie  bird hunting trips I would want the best  4x4 capability I could get, so long as it came with most of my other requirements.   

Tex and I managed to navigate some awesomely bad muddy, snowy and icy back roads in Kansas last year in his FX4.  It got a little exciting from time to time I will note.  Truck was absolutely covered in mud, looked like it was rolled in a mud hole.  The proper tires in these situations make a real difference as you know.  

Best regards!

C.J.L.
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

What the deal with a Tacoma not being able to be flat towed?  As I'm working on (in my head) life on the road, I pictured a Toyota being the truck I'd have behind my MH.  Looks like it took a torpedo in the side now.