REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Greg Hartman

Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

ARKBRDHUNTER

I am going with either the Colorado or Canyon. Just need to pull the trigger on the best deal the dealerships within 50 miles will give. I have talked to several who own them and they have all said they love them. One bought it instead of the Tacoma strictly because of the towing as he travels in his MH extensively. He flat out loves is and is a big guy.

I have never had much luck with first generation vehicles regardless of make and now wait until one has been on the market for a couple of years, prefer to let others be the guinea pigs and live through the initial issues. Keeping the 98 Z71 to go into the Ozark rough stuff so I don't cringe when I get in those places that leave their mark.

Kansas Bound

I had a ranger in high school and loved it.  Just went on the ford website and priced one.  $44,970 WOW

Flush

I believe the 4x4 versions of the new Ranger, Colorado, and Nissan Frontier can all be flat towed and all would meet your requirements of size capability etc...

The new Ranger is new....so while I suspect they will likely be just fine, they are new without a long history and track record of proven reliability.

Honestly if proven reliability and longevity are really important (more so than new fancy features) I would get a Tacoma and install a Remco driveline disconnect.

It's probably not the cheapest solution but Toyota's have the reputation they do for a reason. The Remco's aren't cheap, but as a percentage of the total price you would be paying for a new truck it's not THAT much. A decked out Ranger would cost more than a more modestly equipped Toyota with Remco.

I think the Ford or Chevy would likely be just fine and you may find them to be more comfortable or enjoyable than the Tacoma, but my experience (backed by things like Consumer Reports) shows Toyota to be the most reliable brand and the aftermarket driveshaft disconnect isn't that big of a deal, IMHO.

john mcg

I miss my Nissan Frontier.

RookieEP

Flush you know your stuff man

lee sykes
1 hour ago, john mcg said:

That was a nice truck.

Don Steese
3 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

I just don't want such a big vehicle as everyday transportation, Bede.  The Tacoma is nice, but cannot be flat-towed, so that's a non-starter.  I intend to check out the Chevy Colorado - don't know much about them.

The 4wd Colorado is flat towable if it has a transfer case with a neutral and 4wl position. Key must be in the on position so the steering wheel doesn't lock. Tacomas are not flat towable under any circumstances. I have a Dinghy towing guide up through 2018 so anyone with questions about which are and which are not, just ask!!

MAArcher

I love the look of the new Tacoma's but I just can't get over buying a new foreign vehicle.  I know, they are mostly made here, but where do the profits go?

A Colorado ZR2 diesel would be a sweet vehicle to have, but they are spendy.  

Don Steese
54 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

The 4wd Colorado is flat towable if it has a transfer case with a neutral and 4wl position. Key must be in the on position so the steering wheel doesn't lock. Tacomas are not flat towable under any circumstances. I have a Dinghy towing guide up through 2018 so anyone with questions about which are and which are not, just ask!!

Should have qualified the Tacoma comment with the caveat that one could utilize a driveshaft disconnect system. Sorry!!

BlacknTan

After having moved to Toyota four  years ago, I would not own anything else again... Wish I could be more help.

Marc Ret

The 2019 Ranger is only new to the US market. It's a proven platform that has been in use in overseas markets since 2011(?) but with additional improvements for the 2019 US model. 

Greg, hope you didn't take out any baby ducks when you hit the partially excavated pond PennDOT left in the middle of the road.

Brad Eden
4 hours ago, john mcg said:

Never drove one, but heard they had a ridiculously poor turning radius. So much that it was a thing. True?

Brad Eden

The new Ford Ranger commercials are really targeting the 4x4 Toyota outdoors 'play in the mud, rock climb, kayak rapids crowd.' Nice looking if nothing else.

C.J.L.

Maybe Greg you should just wait a year and buy a one year old used truck at half price (it is a Ford after all) and any bugs will exposed.  

Natty Bumpo
40 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Maybe Greg you should just wait a year and buy a one year old used truck at half price (it is a Ford after all) and any bugs will exposed.  

Better yet, wait two or three years and most of the new model car/truck problems will have been identified and fixed, or not.