REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Greg Hartman

Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

dogrunner
2 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

The 2019 Ranger is only new to the US market. It's a proven platform that has been in use in overseas markets since 2011(?) but with additional improvements for the 2019 US model. 

Greg, hope you didn't take out any baby ducks when you hit the partially excavated pond PennDOT left in the middle of the road.

Correct,  I drove the overseas version about 4 years ago. It had a very stiff suspension, I even jumped in the bed it was more like a 3/4 ton in a small truck. It was underpowered with a gas 4 cylinder and no turbo but it had a stick in it, that was kinda weird as I had not drove a stick since the 80s. 

airmedic1

I'm on my second Nissan Frontier and the have been nearly bomb proof. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one and am considering another one before I retire.

grouse28

Fi shu (If I we’re you) I’d stick with the Jeep badge. Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk. Everything enclosed and well locked. Towable.

Would fit your style of hunting better than a PU. Besides yer getting up there in years to be jumping onto the bed to get stuff that slides to the front. Or a mid sized Ford or Chevy suv, not sure about the towability though.

As you said you are not a farmer and not hauling rocks and stuff, besides you have a trailer for that.

Dogwood

I'll be very interested to see what you settle on Greg.

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Correct,  I drove the overseas version about 4 years ago. It had a very stiff suspension, I even jumped in the bed it was more like a 3/4 ton in a small truck. It was underpowered with a gas 4 cylinder and no turbo but it had a stick in it, that was kinda weird as I had not drove a stick since the 80s. 

It's been a while since I read up on the new Ranger but if I remember correctly, the turbo 4 cyl they have in the 2019 is also an engine they've been running for some time overseas so most of the kinks should have been worked out of that as well.

When I was in Zim a decade ago, I got recruited to drive a 16 passenger van that was stick. Hadn't driven a manual for some time prior either and there I was driving on the wrong side of the road for the first time in a stick shift vehicle that also had the driver's side on the wrong side, working the gears with my left hand and pulling a trailer with a few hundred gallons of what dictator Mugabi considered "contraband" fuel. Good times. 

brushbuster

I think a mid sized SUV would be a bit more comfortable for day to day driving and with a utility trailer you could easily handle Hauling stuff.

How about a Toyota 4Runner?

With good tires it would have plenty off road capability for hunting or winter weather.

They are a nice size plenty of room for dogs and guns and have some tow capacity.

Good long term reliability

I do not know if it can be flat towed.

Don Steese
1 hour ago, brushbuster said:

I think a mid sized SUV would be a bit more comfortable for day to day driving and with a utility trailer you could easily handle Hauling stuff.

How about a Toyota 4Runner?

With good tires it would have plenty off road capability for hunting or winter weather.

They are a nice size plenty of room for dogs and guns and have some tow capacity.

Good long term reliability

I do not know if it can be flat towed.

Nope. Only Toyotas that can be without a driveshaft disconnect kit are the Corolla and Yaris.

Windrider

OK, I’ll have to throw this out there.

Come down south and get you a used original Ford Ranger 4x4 That has probably never seen a salted road.  It will do everything you’re looking for and has a drive train known in the sub-prime auto finance world as one of the most reliable built.  The old Ford Ranger and explorer, along with the old Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatics were known as quarter million mile vehicles.  The drive train just won’t die on the same level as some of the older Toyota pickups.

I had a 94 Ranger,  Sold it to my nephew at 117k miles.  He sold it to a friend at 369K miles.  Didn’t even burn oil.

Parents  had a 96 explorer as their RV toad.  Off roded extensively in Colorado and Arizona.  Then taught three of their grandchildren to drive before being wrecked at 16 years old and an unknown number of total miles. (200k+) Never been in the shop for anything other than basic maintenance.

But yea, I want a new Ranger just as soon as I see how that small eco boost holds up in truck duty.  There have been some problems with that engine when tuned to produce equivalent power as the Ranger in car duty.

Brad Eden

Just for a contrast. I bought a brand new Ford Ranger 4cyl 4x4 in 85 or 86. My first ever new vehicle. At the same time a good friend bought a brand new Toyota 4x4. (They only had the small truck then and it wasn't named Tacoma). I bought the Ford because while growing up my family always had good luck with Fords, and because it was less expensive. Huge mistake. It was the proverbial POS compared to my friends Toyota. Under powered, under equipped, under everything comparably. In and out of the shop. He could practically rock crawl in his truck, me not so much. Maybe the Rangers were improved after 1985. I don't know, and went Toyota after that and have never looked back.

tut
13 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Never drove one, but heard they had a ridiculously poor turning radius. So much that it was a thing. True?

Yep, my buddy had one.  I couldn't believe the space required to turn it around.  His was the crew cab version.  I gave it high marks for being almost tank like as far as going places.  Low marks for fit and finish and gas mileage was god awful.  I think he averaged about 15 around town and 19 on the highway.  He did however drive it hard.   PS.  It would however climb a tree IMO. 

Dogwood
3 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Just for a contrast. I bought a brand new Ford Ranger 4cyl 4x4 in 85 or 86. My first ever new vehicle. At the same time a good friend bought a brand new Toyota 4x4. (They only had the small truck then and it wasn't named Tacoma). I bought the Ford because while growing up my family always had good luck with Fords, and because it was less expensive. Huge mistake. It was the proverbial POS compared to my friends Toyota. Under powered, under equipped, under everything comparably. In and out of the shop. He could practically rock crawl in his truck, me not so much. Maybe the Rangers were improved after 1985. I don't know, and went Toyota after that and have never looked back.

I think just about anything made in by the Big Three in the 80's was a POS.  My Pappy switched from Fords to Hondas at that time.  The Japanese put the heat on them and by the 90's on domestics were much improved and still are to this day.

Brad Eden
6 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

I think just about anything made in by the Big Three in the 80's was a POS.  My Pappy switched from Fords to Hondas at that time.  The Japanese put the heat on them and by the 90's on domestics were much improved and still are to this day.

Agree, but once bit....

dogrunner

I know guys that are driving the new Rangers everyday, so far they seem to like it. I have checked them out but I still like the F150 for what I use mine for so I probably won't get one. The new Bronco should be out sometime next year. 

Dogwood
19 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Agree, but once bit....

Yep.  

dogrunner

Here is a sticker pic of one I seen at a lot close by.  It is a Lariat that is pretty loaded up so it starts out with the bigger price tag.