Greg Hartman

Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

studdog

I don't get the fascination with small pickups?  They are generally underpowered and too small to accommodate dogs, gear and guys.  Also, they can't tow anything out of sight on a winding road.  Since I'm on a roll this morning.  I think SUV's make more sense than PU's overall.  I like my gear, dogs etc. environmentally controlled.  Just my opinion, I guess I could be wrong? 

AS far as they go, the Toyota was by far the best small PU ever made.

john mcg
14 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Never drove one, but heard they had a ridiculously poor turning radius. So much that it was a thing. True?

Brad...I can’t say as I recall whether yes or no. I took it into the woods plenty.

Curt

I also don't see the case for the small pickups.  They cost about the same as full size, mileage is about the same as full size, but the amount of space available for dogs and stuff is considerably less than full size.  I conducted my own experiment in 2009 when I bought a new Toyota Tacoma after owning a few full size pickup trucks.  The little truck ran just fine but I always found myself wanting more room and the 16-17 miles per gallon was not impressive at all.  If the cost of buying and maintaining the trucks are that similar, I'll take the bigger truck.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, for the guys recommending an SUV over a pickup, haven't you ever had a dog skunked while out hunting?  It's happened to me a couple times and believe me a pickup really shines on those days.

bobman

todays " small pickups" really aren't that small I don't see the advantage myself once you drive a full size for a while it doesnt seem any bigger than anything else and the full size ones are a lot more capable

if you want compact find a low mileage Tacoma before they upsized them the four cylinder is bulletproof  mine has over 400K on it and still runs great although the transmission is starting to slip

at least the early 2000s are actually small enough to where the size difference matters

Brad Eden

FWIW. In 2007 Toyota upped the size of their First Generation Tundra to the large size seen today. At the same time they upped the size of their Tacoma to nearly the size of the First Generation Tundra. Side by side on the highway it was hard to tell the difference, except now the restyle of the Tacoma distinguishes it from the First Gen Tundra. Again, ad nauseum...IMO...the 2000-2006 Tundra was the best sized and equipped pick up truck for the average person ever made. The last couple of those years were the absolute best since they did raise them a tad and beefed them up a bit. 

lee sykes
9 hours ago, Dogwood said:

I think just about anything made in by the Big Three in the 80's was a POS.  My Pappy switched from Fords to Hondas at that time.  The Japanese put the heat on them and by the 90's on domestics were much improved and still are to this day.

I agree about the 80s but not the 90s. They were still pretty bad from my experience with a 93 Ford F-150 and a 94 GMC Jimmy.

Kansas Big Dog
On 3/30/2019 at 6:14 AM, Brad Eden said:

Agree, but once bit....

But, didn't you have a Yota that the frame rusted away? 

quailguy

Back in the Stone Age, 1980-1994, I drove Ranger 4x4 extra cab pickups.  They were somewhat small and a little underpowered but I was really looking for the best mileage.  1994 I went to the local Ford dealer and for some reason walked over to the F150s.  Hmmmnnnn.   They had one F150 4x4. It was $1.5 k more than the Ranger, epa mileage was 2 mph less, and it was really nicer inside, had a v8, could tow a boat for example, and had plenty of room for all the crap my wife wanted to take on a trip. 

Eureka!!

why have I been buying these dinky little rangers for years???

Dunno, just got into the habit I guess.  

So I’ve had F150s and one F250, all with crew cabs, and see no reason to squeeze into a Ranger, etc, again. 

Ymmv

Brad Eden
10 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

But, didn't you have a Yota that the frame rusted away? 

Yeah they all do but they keep on running. (All vehicles, especially trucks rust out up here, no brand is spared, ask any mechanic. Toyota stepped up to the plate with repair and frame programs.) 

mccuha
On 3/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, studdog said:

I don't get the fascination with small pickups?  They are generally underpowered and too small to accommodate dogs, gear and guys.  Also, they can't tow anything out of sight on a winding road.  Since I'm on a roll this morning.  I think SUV's make more sense than PU's overall.  I like my gear, dogs etc. environmentally controlled.  Just my opinion, I guess I could be wrong? 

AS far as they go, the Toyota was by far the best small PU ever made.

I don’t get the small truck thing as well. About the only thing I see a difference in is usually the cost.  To me if small trucks got double the mileage I’d say they would be a consideration. Likes been said. It’s hard to go back to a small truck once you’ve had a full sized one.  

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:38 PM, quailguy said:

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/ranger/

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/colorado/?utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google&utm_account=main_search&utm_campaign=trademark_words_make_model_tier_3&utm_adgroup=chevrolet-colorado-edmunds&utm_term=chevrolet_colorado_edmunds&utm_device=t&utm_matchtype=e&utm_targetid=aud-306848099722:kwd-474924193156&utm_locinterest=&utm_locphysical=9006850&utm_keyword=chevrolet colorado edmunds&utm_content=227548707083&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy979y9yn4QIVAp6fCh2JrAsDEAAYAyAAEgIHBPD_BwE

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/ridgeline/

Seems like the Ranger could be the best if a guy really needs to go 4x4ing much. As I think you do, plus it has more towing capability.  

Personally, I’d get a certified used F150 FX4 with the big 6 eco boost engine. Yah, it’s bigger but it is much more capable and can go off road pretty well. 

Dunno about the capability to be a toad though.   Put it on a trailer ?  

At any rate, if I were going on months long boonie  bird hunting trips I would want the best  4x4 capability I could get, so long as it came with most of my other requirements.   

Tex and I managed to navigate some awesomely bad muddy, snowy and icy back roads in Kansas last year in his FX4.  It got a little exciting from time to time I will note.  Truck was absolutely covered in mud, looked like it was rolled in a mud hole.  The proper tires in these situations make a real difference as you know.  

Best regards!

No doubt F150's are very nice trucks, Rick.  I'd get a new one and the price isn't that much more for what will probably be he last new vehicle of my life (can't even count how many I've had over the years).  BUT, one of this vehicle's five primary functions (in addition to towing, hauling, bad weather driving and shooting brake) is to be towed by the MH.  F150's are just too big for that, plus heavier.

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, C.J.L. said:

What the deal with a Tacoma not being able to be flat towed?  As I'm working on (in my head) life on the road, I pictured a Toyota being the truck I'd have behind my MH.  Looks like it took a torpedo in the side now.  

I don't understand the mechanical reasons, but I know that you have to put them on a full trailer (not just a dolly) or physically disconnect the driveshaft.

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, ARKBRDHUNTER said:

I am going with either the Colorado or Canyon. Just need to pull the trigger on the best deal the dealerships within 50 miles will give. I have talked to several who own them and they have all said they love them. One bought it instead of the Tacoma strictly because of the towing as he travels in his MH extensively. He flat out loves is and is a big guy.

I have never had much luck with first generation vehicles regardless of make and now wait until one has been on the market for a couple of years, prefer to let others be the guinea pigs and live through the initial issues. Keeping the 98 Z71 to go into the Ozark rough stuff so I don't cringe when I get in those places that leave their mark.

The Ranger has been around for a while overseas - it's not new.

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, Kansas Bound said:

I had a ranger in high school and loved it.  Just went on the ford website and priced one.  $44,970 WOW

Yeah - that's for a fully equipped truck - every bell and whistle, plus set up for both off-road and towing.  Since this will likely be my last new vehicle before I'm looking at the underside of the grass, I'll splurge for a good one if I go this route.

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, Flush said:

I believe the 4x4 versions of the new Ranger, Colorado, and Nissan Frontier can all be flat towed and all would meet your requirements of size capability etc...

The new Ranger is new....so while I suspect they will likely be just fine, they are new without a long history and track record of proven reliability.

Honestly if proven reliability and longevity are really important (more so than new fancy features) I would get a Tacoma and install a Remco driveline disconnect.

It's probably not the cheapest solution but Toyota's have the reputation they do for a reason. The Remco's aren't cheap, but as a percentage of the total price you would be paying for a new truck it's not THAT much. A decked out Ranger would cost more than a more modestly equipped Toyota with Remco.

I think the Ford or Chevy would likely be just fine and you may find them to be more comfortable or enjoyable than the Tacoma, but my experience (backed by things like Consumer Reports) shows Toyota to be the most reliable brand and the aftermarket driveshaft disconnect isn't that big of a deal, IMHO.

Tacomas are nice, but messing with Remco and disconnecting the drivetrain is too much hassle.  It has been my (rather extensive) experience that when towing a vehicle behind a MH, you want the least possible hassle - off and on in a minute or so is best.  Plus, that adds additional cost on top of installing the towing base plate, brake controller and electrics you need to tow any vehicle.