REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Greg Hartman

Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, MAArcher said:

I love the look of the new Tacoma's but I just can't get over buying a new foreign vehicle.  I know, they are mostly made here, but where do the profits go?

A Colorado ZR2 diesel would be a sweet vehicle to have, but they are spendy.  

I also like the idea of buying American when possible.

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, Marc Ret said:

The 2019 Ranger is only new to the US market. It's a proven platform that has been in use in overseas markets since 2011(?) but with additional improvements for the 2019 US model. 

Greg, hope you didn't take out any baby ducks when you hit the partially excavated pond PennDOT left in the middle of the road.

No, but it's lucky I didn't crash.  The repair shop is still adding up the costs to fix.  ☹️  Went by a PennDOT road crew yesterday - a mile-long traffic jam on Rt 61 North - all but two of the workers were sitting on the guard rail watching two guys with shovels.  😡

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, C.J.L. said:

Maybe Greg you should just wait a year and buy a one year old used truck at half price (it is a Ford after all) and any bugs will exposed.  

That makes plenty of economic sense; and I'm generally very um... frugal, but I've pissed away enough money to buy Pennsylvania on guns and vehicles over the years - why stop now?  🙂

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:06 PM, Natty Bumpo said:

Better yet, wait two or three years and most of the new model car/truck problems will have been identified and fixed, or not. 

It's not a new model.

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, grouse28 said:

Fi shu (If I we’re you) I’d stick with the Jeep badge. Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk. Everything enclosed and well locked. Towable.

Would fit your style of hunting better than a PU. Besides yer getting up there in years to be jumping onto the bed to get stuff that slides to the front. Or a mid sized Ford or Chevy suv, not sure about the towability though.

As you said you are not a farmer and not hauling rocks and stuff, besides you have a trailer for that.

Don't plan on jumping in the bed.  Maybe a stepladder? Or, better yet, maybe I'll let Nancy (who is a good bit younger than me) do the jumping😁 .

I've always had trucks, just not since you've known me.  I had to get rid of my truck when my wife got sick, now a bit over a decade ago, because I couldn't lift her out of the wheelchair and up into a tall truck with narrow crewcab doors.  So, I got a low-slung coupe with long doors.  The new Jeep Cherokees are very nice and you can get one set up for off-road; and I'm not a farmer, but I do live in the sticks and I miss being able to haul stuff, like firewood and my four-wheeler.  Plus, the tailgate is a nice place to de-tick, de-burr a dog or to just sit and have a beer at the end of the day.  If I do this (jury still out on that), I will go with a mid-size truck.

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:47 PM, Dogwood said:

I'll be very interested to see what you settle on Greg.

Don't follow me, I'm lost (as usual).  😁

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:01 AM, Brad Eden said:

Just for a contrast. I bought a brand new Ford Ranger 4cyl 4x4 in 85 or 86. My first ever new vehicle. At the same time a good friend bought a brand new Toyota 4x4. (They only had the small truck then and it wasn't named Tacoma). I bought the Ford because while growing up my family always had good luck with Fords, and because it was less expensive. Huge mistake. It was the proverbial POS compared to my friends Toyota. Under powered, under equipped, under everything comparably. In and out of the shop. He could practically rock crawl in his truck, me not so much. Maybe the Rangers were improved after 1985. I don't know, and went Toyota after that and have never looked back.

Agreed. The best truck I ever had was a 1st gen Tundra crewcab.  The new Tundras are MASSIVE.

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:43 AM, studdog said:

I don't get the fascination with small pickups?  They are generally underpowered and too small to accommodate dogs, gear and guys.  Also, they can't tow anything out of sight on a winding road.  Since I'm on a roll this morning.  I think SUV's make more sense than PU's overall.  I like my gear, dogs etc. environmentally controlled.  Just my opinion, I guess I could be wrong? 

AS far as they go, the Toyota was by far the best small PU ever made.

No doubt SUV's are nice for transportation and most hunting purposes, George.  I've been towing and using a Jeep SUV for many years now.  But, you can do things with a truck that you can't with an SUV.  'm no farmer or contractor, but I do live way back in the sticks and have some land (twice as much now that Nancy is on board), so the ability to haul limited amounts of heavy, dirty stuff is one of the five basic criteria for me in a new vehicle (along with some towing ability, bad weather transport, shooting brake and being a good toad behind the MH).  

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, Curt said:

I also don't see the case for the small pickups.  They cost about the same as full size, mileage is about the same as full size, but the amount of space available for dogs and stuff is considerably less than full size.  I conducted my own experiment in 2009 when I bought a new Toyota Tacoma after owning a few full size pickup trucks.  The little truck ran just fine but I always found myself wanting more room and the 16-17 miles per gallon was not impressive at all.  If the cost of buying and maintaining the trucks are that similar, I'll take the bigger truck.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, for the guys recommending an SUV over a pickup, haven't you ever had a dog skunked while out hunting?  It's happened to me a couple times and believe me a pickup really shines on those days.

How many miles per year do you tow that full-sized pick-up?  I'm guessing 20K/year of towing for me.  Don't want to have to drag an enormous truck around that far each year.  Besides, I'm just an average size guy (probably the very size person most things are made for - including gun stocks), Nancy is tiny and my dogs aren't big, so a mid-size truck has plenty of room for me.  Cost of purchase and operation, frankly, isn't the main factor - usability for my five (probably odd) primary purposes is.

studdog

Greg,  If you have to regularly haul manure or other foul stuff, then a PU makes sense but not a puny one.  George 

Zkight89

I drive a '17  four door F150 daily. It's the aluminum model and has a 2.7 Eco Boost six cylinder motor.  Very light, fuel efficient and strong enough to tow our 26' travel trailer but still has a nice small truck feel.  Cab is as roomy as any SUV and still have the bed to haul things. I'd be hard pressed to want to swap it for a Ranger!  

What's the Ranger weigh overall? 

quailguy
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

No doubt F150's are very nice trucks, Rick.  I'd get a new one and the price isn't that much more for what will probably be he last new vehicle of my life (can't even count how many I've had over the years).  BUT, one of this vehicle's five primary functions (in addition to towing, hauling, bad weather driving and shooting brake) is to be towed by the MH.  F150's are just too big for that, plus heavier.

The new Ranger are pretty good off road trucks, I think you’ll like it. 

Dogwood
53 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Don't follow me, I'm lost (as usual).  😁

Yes I know. That’s why I’m interested.

Greg Hartman
15 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

I drive a '17  four door F150 daily. It's the aluminum model and has a 2.7 Eco Boost six cylinder motor.  Very light, fuel efficient and strong enough to tow our 26' travel trailer but still has a nice small truck feel.  Cab is as roomy as any SUV and still have the bed to haul things. I'd be hard pressed to want to swap it for a Ranger!  

What's the Ranger weigh overall? 

A ranger fully decked out the way I'd want it goes about 4,400.  A comparably equipped f150 weights about 4,900 pounds.  The junky Jeep I am now towing weighs about 4,300 pounds ☹️

SxSetter

Is it just coincidence that the more they update the body styles of the Ranger and the Colorado, the more they look like a Tacoma?  😉