Greg Hartman

Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

Curt

I have that feature on my truck too, it is very handy.

Dogwood

Greg I haven't read all the threads in detail so please excuse any redundancy but why not buy a Jeep that suits your needs with sufficient towing capacity to pull a small open utility trailer for your local hauling chores?  

Zkight89
9 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

A ranger fully decked out the way I'd want it goes about 4,400.  A comparably equipped f150 weights about 4,900 pounds.  The junky Jeep I am now towing weighs about 4,300 pounds ☹️

I figured the weight was pretty close. These new F-150's really impress me with the balance of power, size and fuel economy. I regularly get 24-25 mpg on the interstate when we're traveling. Our other one ( same truck) hauls a 7,000 pound travel trailer without a hitch. Been from Florida to Jersey and West to Oklahoma twice. 

casts_by_fly

As said in some posts, the ranger isn’t new. We have tons of them on the road over here.  I’ve been in a couple and they are fine.  We don’t have that engine here (we have the 2.2 diesel or the 3.2 gas) so can’t comment there, but the trucks are good.  The interior is how you spec it out. I’ve been in stripped out ones and in loaded ones.  Back seat space is good on the crew cab.  4 guys can ride comfortably.  Not sure how the seats fold up, but a pair of crates to fit a pair of britts should fit (one each side) if you want. Ride comfort is good- it’s a truck. I would say go test drive one, know what you want from the truck, and see if it fits the bill. Based on the other options, I think it will be what you end up with.

rick

Brad Eden

I'd get one of the newly designed Rangers, but I'll never buy new again so it would be years before any would be available in my price range....as in reasonably low mileage lease trade in or private sale.

Curt
16 hours ago, Zkight89 said:

I figured the weight was pretty close. These new F-150's really impress me with the balance of power, size and fuel economy. I regularly get 24-25 mpg on the interstate when we're traveling. Our other one ( same truck) hauls a 7,000 pound travel trailer without a hitch. 

That is impressive, what keeps the trailer from careening off into the woods?

jeff88
29 minutes ago, Curt said:

😎

16 hours ago, Zkight89 said:

I figured the weight was pretty close. These new F-150's really impress me with the balance of power, size and fuel economy. I regularly get 24-25 mpg on the interstate when we're traveling. Our other one ( same truck) hauls a 7,000 pound travel trailer without a hitch. Been from Florida to Jersey and West to Oklahoma twice. 

I recall when VW used to brag that the Beetle got 24 MPG, amazing how the technology has changed where a full size pick-up does better than a Beetle.

jeff88

This is definitely disappointing about the Ranger:  

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/ranger/

Read the Edmunds review then scroll down to the owners reviews.   I find Edmunds to be a good source for independence in their reviews.  My favorite section is the buyers input.  Ford probably can re-tune the tranny and the suspension in the next model year.  The tranny could be done with SW changes for shift points etc, the suspension may require a HW change.

Flush
15 hours ago, casts_by_fly said:

As said in some posts, the ranger isn’t new. 

The US version of the Ranger looks very similar to the global Ranger, but it's actually fairly different. 

Different engine, new trans, different frame, different axles, different front suspension, different body panels, frame mounted bumpers etc... 

Here is a video with a Ford engineer talking about the changes.

US Ranger vs global Ranger

Also, the 2.3 ecoboost engine is different than other 2.3 ecoboost Ford engines. There are commonalities, but it's not the "same" as the mustang/explorer/focus 2.3, different turbo too. 

River19
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

This is definitely disappointing about the Ranger:  

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/ranger/

Read the Edmunds review then scroll down to the owners reviews.   I find Edmunds to be a good source for independence in their reviews.  My favorite section is the buyers input.  Ford probably can re-tune the tranny and the suspension in the next model year.  The tranny could be done with SW changes for shift points etc, the suspension may require a HW change.

I agree on Edmunds providing a decent place for owner feedback/reviews to mix in with the various other outlets/sources.

Some brutal opinions in there on interior quality and the lack of certain options.

It will be interesting to see how it does in the marketplace and how the dust settles on opinions over the next 2-3 years.  I'm sure plenty of people will buy it as there are many Ford loyalists.  Heck my buddy is a GM loyalist to a fault yet every rig lets him down, breaks or costs a fortune to repari and then he gets in my Toyotas or Ram and loves them to death.....but he just got another GM truck....... there are plenty like him for every brand.

salmontogue

New year introduction vehicles most always have problems not the least of which can be available parts.  A nice alternative would be the Ford Explorer and its cushier cousin, the Lincoln MKX.  Both have been well received and, properly equipped, are good trailer haulers. Use a utility or small cargo trailer when needed.  They are off-road capable and extremely comfortable.  Another possibility would be, both four door and 4x4., Ram 1500 and Ford F-150.  Both have choices of bed lengths and engines.  The Ram with the eco-diesel will haul nearly 9K.  Highway mileage is close to 30mpg, not towing.  City mileage is mid-twenties.

My experience with GM, other than the Volt play car, has been terrible with numerous reliability issues.  I expected the Volt to be a lemon but it has operated flawlessly.  I bought it two years old at super cheap pricing with a replacement battery pack included when needed.  I have also had Toyotas, only one of which was better than mediocre.  I may be dreaming but all of them were gas hogs.

The trucks are infrequently available as certified pre-owned at reasonable prices but both Ford-built SUVs are.

Perk

chilly460
3 hours ago, Curt said:

Beat me to it!!

dogrunner
21 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

New year introduction vehicles most always have problems not the least of which can be available parts.  A nice alternative would be the Ford Explorer and its cushier cousin, the Lincoln MKX.  Both have been well received and, properly equipped, are good trailer haulers. Use a utility or small cargo trailer when needed.  They are off-road capable and extremely comfortable.  Another possibility would be, both four door and 4x4., Ram 1500 and Ford F-150.  Both have choices of bed lengths and engines.  The Ram with the eco-diesel will haul nearly 9K.  Highway mileage is close to 30mpg, not towing.  City mileage is mid-twenties.

My experience with GM, other than the Volt play car, has been terrible with numerous reliability issues.  I expected the Volt to be a lemon but it has operated flawlessly.  I bought it two years old at super cheap pricing with a replacement battery pack included when needed.  I have also had Toyotas, only one of which was better than mediocre.  I may be dreaming but all of them were gas hogs.

The trucks are infrequently available as certified pre-owned at reasonable prices but both Ford-built SUVs are.

Perk

The MKX is now called this. 

AE54BE62-BAB1-4B38-9C57-D357DDFD7668.jpeg

jeff88
13 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

A nice alternative would be the Ford Explorer and its cushier cousin, the Lincoln MKX.  Both have been well received and, properly equipped, are good trailer haulers. Use a utility or small cargo trailer when needed.  They are off-road capable and extremely comfortable. 

When I 1st read into this thread I noticed Greg is replacing a small SUV and thinking about a pick-up.  Not sure about his current SUV as an off-roader, it seems like it does not have a 4wd low range and is more of an awd system.  If that is all he needs, the Explorer having perhaps an equal or better drive set-up would be a good choice, especially if it is flat tow-able as Greg requires.  The Explorer awd uses the system originally built with Range Rover for their non-low range drive systems and from what I've heard, it works well.  (It's no Wrangler or 4wd pick-up though.)  Overall outer dimensions may be very similar to the new Ranger with better rear seat comfort.  We've had three Fords, a '95 Explorer EB, an '04 Expy EB, both with 4wd low range capability; and I had an '06 Taurus company car for two years.  All three were very low maintenance and virtually trouble-free.  I beat both the trucks like rented mules especially the Explorer - in PA it was driven thru some very sketchy terrain like restored strip mine roads.

Am pretty sure there is a good marketplace for 3 YO awd Explorers coming home from leases, that might be the way to go.  I recommend tacking on a 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty extension from Ford mostly for the electronics in these newer rides.  Not sure if the MKX or the Edge has the same level awd systems as the Explorer.

salmontogue
2 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

When I 1st read into this thread I noticed Greg is replacing a small SUV and thinking about a pick-up.  Not sure about his current SUV as an off-roader, it seems like it does not have a 4wd low range and is more of an awd system.  If that is all he needs, the Explorer having perhaps an equal or better drive set-up would be a good choice, especially if it is flat tow-able as Greg requires.  The Explorer awd uses the system originally built with Range Rover for their non-low range drive systems and from what I've heard, it works well.  (It's no Wrangler or 4wd pick-up though.)  Overall outer dimensions may be very similar to the new Ranger with better rear seat comfort.  We've had three Fords, a '95 Explorer EB, an '04 Expy EB, both with 4wd low range capability; and I had an '06 Taurus company car for two years.  All three were very low maintenance and virtually trouble-free.  I beat both the trucks like rented mules especially the Explorer - in PA it was driven thru some very sketchy terrain like restored strip mine roads.

Am pretty sure there is a good marketplace for 3 YO awd Explorers coming home from leases, that might be the way to go.  I recommend tacking on a 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty extension from Ford mostly for the electronics in these newer rides.  Not sure if the MKX or the Edge has the same level awd systems as the Explorer.

There are lots of low mileage Ford Explorers and MKX Lincolns coming off of two and three years leases at very attractive prices with the Certified pre-owned extended warranty at no extra charge.  The last time I looked at the warranties they were the best and longest available and included roadside assistance.  I have a friend in another state who is a Ford/Lincoln dealer and, when I visited, I was amazed how pristine they were.  I would never buy a new one under those circumstances.  Used pickups are a different situation.  Most have been used hard and the nice ones are so expensive that a new one may be a better choice.  There are discount programs from the big three offering discounts from 13 to 24 percent off MSRP.

Perk