Greg Hartman

Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

Flush
19 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Not sure about his current SUV as an off-roader, it seems like it does not have a 4wd low range and is more of an awd system.  If that is all he needs, the Explorer having perhaps an equal or better drive set-up would be a good choice, especially if it is flat tow-able as Greg requires. 

His current SUV is a Jeep Liberty which has a transfer case and 4wd low, it's in a whole different class than an awd Explorer or the like it terms of off road capability. 

jeff88
Just now, salmontogue said:

There are lots of low mileage Ford Explorers and MKX Lincolns coming off of two and three years leases at very attractive prices with the Certified pre-owned extended warranty at no extra charge.  The last time I looked at the warranties they were the best and longest available and included roadside assistance.  I have a friend in another state who is a Ford/Lincoln dealer and, when I visited, I was amazed how pristine they were.  I would never buy a new one under those circumstances.  Used pickups are a different situation.  Most have been used hard and the nice ones are so expensive that a new one may be a better choice.  There are discount programs from the big three offering discounts from 13 to 24 percent off MSRP.

Perk

My experience as well - both our current rides came off leases, had really good CPO warranties, looked/drive like new and had low mileage.  I tacked on additional warranty on top of the CPO for electronics which can be costly to repair/replace.  Both rides have very long bumper-to-bumper coverage, free loaners and 100% roadside assistance.  BTW, bought the extended warranties at 40% off manufacturer cost as they are marked up 50%.  I will keep them through the warranted period and then another year. 

When I bought our MDX I was primarily in the marketplace for an Explorer Ltd or Platinum but after months could not locate what I wanted.  In TX, there are very few of them sold with awd.  Everything out there was fwd.  The MDX has been great but it does not have the drive system that the Explorer uses for bad conditions.  Its awd is better on-road than the Ford but not off.  

jeff88
1 minute ago, Flush said:

His current SUV is a Jeep Liberty which has a transfer case and 4wd low, it's in a whole different class than an awd Explorer or the like it terms of off road capability. 

Yup, that is a big difference.  I can vouch for low range being a very good thing when way the heck out there.

River19
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Yup, that is a big difference.  I can vouch for low range being a very good thing when way the heck out there.

2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

My experience as well - both our current rides came off leases, had really good CPO warranties, looked/drive like new and had low mileage.  I tacked on additional warranty on top of the CPO for electronics which can be costly to repair/replace.  Both rides have very long bumper-to-bumper coverage, free loaners and 100% roadside assistance.  BTW, bought the extended warranties at 40% off manufacturer cost as they are marked up 50%.  I will keep them through the warranted period and then another year. 

When I bought our MDX I was primarily in the marketplace for an Explorer Ltd or Platinum but after months could not locate what I wanted.  In TX, there are very few of them sold with awd.  Everything out there was fwd.  The MDX has been great but it does not have the drive system that the Explorer uses for bad conditions.  Its awd is better on-road than the Ford but not off.  

As I sit here and quietly say.......2008 - 2009 Lexus GX470........put transfer case in Neutral and enjoy an extremely capable rig....

🙂

dogrunner

Plenty of them being made so someone is Lovin them. Demand has been High. 

7D475700-F65A-4355-86DE-E2F75968BD28.jpeg

3E2511B0-84C0-4825-911C-9EF99440AAD7.jpeg

Zkight89
9 hours ago, Curt said:

That is impressive, what keeps the trailer from careening off into the woods?

Poor choice of words.... 😂😂

Zkight89
9 hours ago, jeff88 said:

😎

I recall when VW used to brag that the Beetle got 24 MPG, amazing how the technology has changed where a full size pick-up does better than a Beetle.

Only on cruise control on the highway. 18-20 in town or when I do a lot of jobsite/ woods road driving. 

tut

Might have missed something because this thread is long.  Curious whether you looked into the updated Honda Ridgeline (don't shoot me anyone).  My neighbor has one and absolutely loves it.  I have no idea of their off road capability.  Just spit-balling here. 

Natty Bumpo
1 hour ago, tut said:

Might have missed something because this thread is long.  Curious whether you looked into the updated Honda Ridgeline (don't shoot me anyone).  My neighbor has one and absolutely loves it.  I have no idea of their off road capability.  Just spit-balling here. 

Now we LUV Hondas (Mrs Bumpo drives a Pilot, our third) but that Ridgeline is certainly NOT a truck. Its on the same chassis as the Pilot I think.

I thought this thread was about trucks. I don't know what one would call a Ridgeline?? A Pilot with a little bed?? :/

CptSydor
3 hours ago, tut said:

I looked it up when this thread got started as well, the Ridgeline, from what I recall is not flat towable, plus being only AWD, might be a little less off-road capable.

Natty Bumpo
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:54 AM, Greg Hartman said:

It's not a new model.

Well, FORD says the 2019 Ranger is new and I would think they should know.......

SODAKer
9 hours ago, tut said:

BIL bought one this year. Very nice, he likes it but does say it lacks the initial boost when kicking it in e.g. coming onto hwy or passing.

max2

I started to read a couple of these pages and heard mention that this would likely be the last new tow behind you may purchase. That said I would be looking at which vehicle had the nicest "ride" comfort first  for this ride as long as it can do it all. I remember yrs back a friend pulled in with a ford Flex. I thought what an ugly vehicle. Turns out it had an excellent ride. Size wise that may be a vehicle to consider. Easy to use a car like that like a light truck.  Just a thought .

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:32 AM, grouse28 said:

Just make sure you can get your butt upon the tailgate😊 Butt test it at the dealership.

I'll try to remember that.  🙂

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, bobman said:

you could pick up a first generation tundra 2006 pickup like your old one down here without a spot of rust on it and even if someday you have to repower it you would be way ahead money wise

pull it on a car trailer and you have the added benefit of being able to back up without disconnecting it

Towing on a trailer is a monumental PITA.  Not only do you need to fully secure the vehicle on it every time, you need to find a place to park it - often difficult.  Been there, done that.  Never again!