REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Greg Hartman

Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:21 AM, River19 said:

Greg if you are cool with towing a new rig behind the RV, then you should go drive the Ranger and maybe think about what features you can live without.....maybe that way the sticker won't be as bad as the Platinum Espresso Harley Davidson Raptor Titanium Lariat Jetson-mobile version would be...…

Yeah, I know that would make practical sense, but this will likely be the last new vehicle of my life and I can afford it, so why not go for the whole banana, instead of making my daughter rich when I kick off?

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, Curt said:

The towing (weight) issue in my opinion is irrelevant if you're towing with a diesel, the MH will never notice that difference.  

Probably true.  A few hundred pounds one way or the other can't even be noticed in the big MH.  

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, Flush said:

Actually I think the Nissan is the cheapest, granted it is the most "outdated". Also the Ranger is available in extended and crew cabs both.

For those of you saying the small trucks generally don't make sense...I certainly understand the sentiment and generally find full size makes more sense for me as well.

However the price difference between a Ranger and F150 is not insignificant if you compare apples to apples.

base model 4x4 extended cab Ranger msrp: $28.5k

base model 4x4 extended cab F150 msrp: $36.5k

Maybe when you add in a lot of options the price difference narrows, but for a bare bones 4x4 truck the Ranger is quite a bit cheaper than an F150.

True.  For me, however, the size in daily driving is much more important than cost.  I don't need the space and capacity of a full-sized truck; and prefer not to drive one of those ponderous things with a turning radius equal to the Titanic as daily transportation.  That's not from any fear of driving big vehicle, BTW - I have a CDL - just daily convenience.

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, zhtrainer said:

Here is a feature you might want to consider that I got with my 2013 F150. Probably available on the Ranger also. Makes getting into and out of the bed so much easier and since I haul dogs to trials I am up in the bed quite often. The step folds up into the tail gate and the handle lays down when not in use.

ZZZFord Tailgate step and handle.JPG

That is nice - dunno if a Ranger has one.

dogrunner
46 minutes ago, max2 said:

I started to read a couple of these pages and heard mention that this would likely be the last new tow behind you may purchase. That said I would be looking at which vehicle had the nicest "ride" comfort first  for this ride as long as it can do it all. I remember yrs back a friend pulled in with a ford Flex. I thought what an ugly vehicle. Turns out it had an excellent ride. Size wise that may be a vehicle to consider. Easy to use a car like that like a light truck.  Just a thought .

Yep, one of the nicest riding vehicles Ford has ever made. Everyone I have talked to that owns one really likes it. But  off road I don’t think it would do very good, not much ground clearance.  Plus I think this year is it’s last for production, not a big seller. 

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, Dogwood said:

Greg I haven't read all the threads in detail so please excuse any redundancy but why not buy a Jeep that suits your needs with sufficient towing capacity to pull a small open utility trailer for your local hauling chores?  

That would make lots of practical sense, Jeff.  But, for me, vehicles have never been viewed in a total practical  manner.  I see them, at least in part, as toys and have pissed away a king's ransom on them over the years: Porsches, trucks, fast coupes - you name it.  I just like having a truck (and at times actually do need one as a backwoods dweller/land owner).  Haven't been able to have a truck since my wife got sick more than a decade ago, because of the issue of getting her in and out of a wheelchair and a high truck.  I've missed having a truck. Now I can have one.  So, maybe I will - utterly economically practical or not.. 🙂

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, Zkight89 said:

I figured the weight was pretty close. These new F-150's really impress me with the balance of power, size and fuel economy. I regularly get 24-25 mpg on the interstate when we're traveling. Our other one ( same truck) hauls a 7,000 pound travel trailer without a hitch. Been from Florida to Jersey and West to Oklahoma twice. 

Pretty cool, but I prefer to use a hitch when towing - for safety.

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:30 AM, Brad Eden said:

I'd get one of the newly designed Rangers, but I'll never buy new again so it would be years before any would be available in my price range....as in reasonably low mileage lease trade in or private sale.

That's the 100% practical answer for sure, but see my comment about that above,

jeff88
14 hours ago, Zkight89 said:

Only on cruise control on the highway. 18-20 in town or when I do a lot of jobsite/ woods road driving. 

Still, pretty remarkable considering the difference in weight & mass.

Curt
2 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

True.  For me, however, the size in daily driving is much more important than cost.  I don't need the space and capacity of a full-sized truck; and prefer not to drive one of those ponderous things with a turning radius equal to the Titanic as daily transportation.  That's not from any fear of driving big vehicle, BTW - I have a CDL - just daily convenience.

When you mention size of the smaller truck it does bring one thing to mind that I failed to mention in previous posts on this thread.  When I had that 2009 Tacoma the thing I liked most about it was how handy it was on backwoods two tracks.  I ran some very narrow ones with it in northern Maine and Minnesota and the vehicle was narrow enough that I rarely even got a scratch from brush along the way.  Not so with my big truck that is really to wide for a lot of those trails without some scrapes.

MNice
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Yep, one of the nicest riding vehicles Ford has ever made. Everyone I have talked to that owns one really likes it. But  off road I don’t think it would do very good, not much ground clearance.  Plus I think this year is it’s last for production, not a big seller. 

You forgot hideous!

jeff88
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

We had one in the Rockies for a family vacation rental vehicle - it is a very nice ride.  Tons of room inside, not huge outside, drove really well, decent gas mileage (22 mpg all told).  We used it for the vacation as well as a moving van for relocating our daughter from one apt to another.  With the seats folded down, it was a cavern back there.  Even with awd, it is not an off-roader for much more than unimproved roads.  We took it up Falls Run RD in Rocky Mtn Nat'l - it was perfect for that kind of driving.

Flush
2 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Hey Greg, 

I certainly get the appeal of a slightly smaller truck. I have owned quite a few rangers and smaller trucks myself. I have also owned half-tons, and bigger 3/4 ton diesels too.

With that said, if you haven't already done so, you really owe it to yourself to drive some of the better new 1/2 tons, in particular I would drive a new F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost or the Ram with the 5.7 hemi. I'd be really surprised if you found them to be ponderous. My ~15 year old F250 diesel longbed, yes that is ponderous, but these newer F150 and 1500s are so completely different. Just as a case in point, the RAM 1500 has a turning radius as good as the Ranger (depending on the model Ram you get).

I'm a car guy too, there are certain times I do appreciate a slightly smaller truck, but overall when it comes to new trucks I find the half tons overall just more desirable and enjoyable to drive on a daily basis than the mid-sized trucks, but that is just my personal opinion.

dogrunner
22 minutes ago, MNice said:

You forgot hideous!

No more hideous than some of the jap or euro stuff out there right now. 

dogrunner
3 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

That is nice - dunno if a Ranger has one.

They don't as of now, maybe in the future.