Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

Kansas Bound

Greg, I have a F-150 but despise driving it in town.  I also bought a car just for that purpose.  

I totally get you not wanting a full size truck as a daily driver. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• dogrunner

• jeff88

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is impressive, what keeps the trailer from careening off into the woods?

I think just about anything made in by the Big Three in the 80's was a POS.  My Pappy switched from Fords to Hondas at that time.  The Japanese put the heat on them and by the 90's on domestics were m

I haven't seen one available yet, but I'm interested in the Jeep Gladiator diesel.  

Posted Images

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, salmontogue said:

There are lots of low mileage Ford Explorers and MKX Lincolns coming off of two and three years leases at very attractive prices with the Certified pre-owned extended warranty at no extra charge.  The last time I looked at the warranties they were the best and longest available and included roadside assistance.  I have a friend in another state who is a Ford/Lincoln dealer and, when I visited, I was amazed how pristine they were.  I would never buy a new one under those circumstances.  Used pickups are a different situation.  Most have been used hard and the nice ones are so expensive that a new one may be a better choice.  There are discount programs from the big three offering discounts from 13 to 24 percent off MSRP.

Perk

I need something much more off-road capable than an Exploder or the like.

Greg Hartman
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, River19 said:

As I sit here and quietly say.......2008 - 2009 Lexus GX470........put transfer case in Neutral and enjoy an extremely capable rig....

🙂

Dunno anything about them.  Besides, if I'm going to replace some old vehicles, I want something much newer.

Greg Hartman
21 hours ago, tut said:

Might have missed something because this thread is long.  Curious whether you looked into the updated Honda Ridgeline (don't shoot me anyone).  My neighbor has one and absolutely loves it.  I have no idea of their off road capability.  Just spit-balling here. 

The Ridgeline is very nice - one of my buddies just bought a brand new one. I especially like the lockable, water tight trunk under the bed.  BUT, they can't easily be flat towed and AWD isn't the same as a real 4X4 with low range, etc.

Greg Hartman
12 hours ago, SODAKer said:

BIL bought one this year. Very nice, he likes it but does say it lacks the initial boost when kicking it in e.g. coming onto hwy or passing.

Hmmm... I had a 911 turbo years ago.  It wouldn't make power until you got the engine wound up and then all of a sudden you'd have so much power the rear end would break loose and try to come around a kiss you.  That thing was dangerous!  I thought that lag problem had been largely cured in modern vehicles.  Maybe not??

Greg Hartman
10 hours ago, max2 said:

I started to read a couple of these pages and heard mention that this would likely be the last new tow behind you may purchase. That said I would be looking at which vehicle had the nicest "ride" comfort first  for this ride as long as it can do it all. I remember yrs back a friend pulled in with a ford Flex. I thought what an ugly vehicle. Turns out it had an excellent ride. Size wise that may be a vehicle to consider. Easy to use a car like that like a light truck.  Just a thought .

Wouldn't work.  I don't do rock-crawling or the like, but I actually do need a pretty serious off-road capability. 

I don't have many pics of some of the terrain we negotiate on our hunting trips, but this is an example:

9-29-10 - Willie make it.jpg

I don't do that for fun - just to get where I want to go.  Then, there is the gumbo - REALLY nasty stuff, but if you wait until it dries fully, you may never get into to the uplands.

One of the things I have not been able to get an answer for is - could a towing baseplate be installed under the skidplate in front?  A skid plate is really nice when you get high centered on a deeply rutted two-track - something to avoid, obviously. but it happens at times.  Does anybody know the answer to that?

Greg Hartman
7 hours ago, Curt said:

When you mention size of the smaller truck it does bring one thing to mind that I failed to mention in previous posts on this thread.  When I had that 2009 Tacoma the thing I liked most about it was how handy it was on backwoods two tracks.  I ran some very narrow ones with it in northern Maine and Minnesota and the vehicle was narrow enough that I rarely even got a scratch from brush along the way.  Not so with my big truck that is really to wide for a lot of those trails without some scrapes.

Yep.  Plus, turning radius is very important when off-roading, to scoot around obstacles, go through the woods and such.  One of the things I really like about my old Jeep is it's ability to turn around narly in its own length.  That feature has saved my butt a number of times.  I know that no truck will have as short a turning radius as a little Jeep and that is a big downside, IMO.

Greg Hartman
6 hours ago, Flush said:

Hey Greg, 

I certainly get the appeal of a slightly smaller truck. I have owned quite a few rangers and smaller trucks myself. I have also owned half-tons, and bigger 3/4 ton diesels too.

With that said, if you haven't already done so, you really owe it to yourself to drive some of the better new 1/2 tons, in particular I would drive a new F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost or the Ram with the 5.7 hemi. I'd be really surprised if you found them to be ponderous. My ~15 year old F250 diesel longbed, yes that is ponderous, but these newer F150 and 1500s are so completely different. Just as a case in point, the RAM 1500 has a turning radius as good as the Ranger (depending on the model Ram you get).

I'm a car guy too, there are certain times I do appreciate a slightly smaller truck, but overall when it comes to new trucks I find the half tons overall just more desirable and enjoyable to drive on a daily basis than the mid-sized trucks, but that is just my personal opinion.

Good point, Flush.  I should probably do just that.  Maybe my impression of truck handling is dated.  Still, I think for daily transportation, parking at the grocery store, dicing with traffic, etc, smaller is better.

6 hours ago, jeff88 said:

We had one in the Rockies for a family vacation rental vehicle - it is a very nice ride.  Tons of room inside, not huge outside, drove really well, decent gas mileage (22 mpg all told).  We used it for the vacation as well as a moving van for relocating our daughter from one apt to another.  With the seats folded down, it was a cavern back there.  Even with awd, it is not an off-roader for much more than unimproved roads.  We took it up Falls Run RD in Rocky Mtn Nat'l - it was perfect for that kind of driving.

Besides the outside looks which don’t really bother me, the inside is probably the best laid out and usable space of any Ford vehicle. If they would have marketed it better with those features and a Great ride it might have sold better. I have never been told by anyone that they did not like the Flex that had one. 

Greg Hartman
10 hours ago, Kansas Bound said:

Greg, I have a F-150 but despise driving it in town.  I also bought a car just for that purpose.  

I totally get you not wanting a full size truck as a daily driver. 

Honestly (and maybe kinda like having automatic shoguns grow on me, despite my innate prejudice against the things), I've come to enjoy my Honda coupe as a daily/business car.  270+ HP, much modified suspension and brakes - it's relatively inexpensive, surprisingly quick (but still FWD), comfortable, safe and efficient.  Not as much fun as my real open, two-seat sports car, but not bad for every day driving.  It would be hard to go from that to a big klunker.  Maybe a mid-size truck would be a less painful transition.

10-15-11 - Honda coupe in the fall.jpg

bullseyebill

Not  much mention of the Colorado. Cindy has really been enjoying hers. Took it out west last fall and it worked great.

It's the four door ,so we just fold down the rear seat and the 2 dogs have plenty of room. Pretty much the same wheelbase and curb weight as the Ranger.

We'll have it at the UJ gathering in July if you haven't made a decision yet.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:13 AM, Greg Hartman said:

HUGE cool factor, but out of my price range, plus heavy to tow behind the MH. 

Just found out the MSRP for the first Rubicon Gladiators is over $63 thousand dollars.  Out of my price range too.  Maybe in 10 years I'll be able to pick up a beat one with high mileage for $20 grand.😥

18 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Still, pretty remarkable considering the difference in weight & mass.

I agree, I wanted a 3/4 ton four door when I bought my F150. The $300 a month difference in payments turned me away and my salesman assured me I'd be happy with this truck on the job. He couldn't have been more right, and now I pocket a good chunk of truck allowance each month instead of burning it up on a big diesel maintenance and payments....

19 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Pretty cool, but I prefer to use a hitch when towing - for safety.

The one time I forget to proof read 😂....

Slumming it with Boilermakers and Ironworkers all day doesn't do much for keeping my verbage in check. Thanks UJ for bringing out the Grammar Paddle for a quick spanking now and then ! 

Greg, if you do get the Ranger order one with a Locker in the rear axle.