Any love for the new Ford Ranger; other suggestions?

Greg Hartman
18 minutes ago, quailguy said:

The new Ranger are pretty good off road trucks, I think you’ll like it. 

Yeah.  Unfortunately, I must do my share of off-road stuff.  It will be very tough for me to beat-up a shiny new vehicle (you can't begin to find the latest dent, pile of bird parts, scratch or dog barf in/on my old Jeep).  Now that it's warming up a bit, my eyes water from the stench every time I sit in the Jeep - maybe time to do the spring clean out?  Oh well, I guess that's what they are for.

9-24-18 - Hard working Jeep

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• dogrunner

• jeff88

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is impressive, what keeps the trailer from careening off into the woods?

I think just about anything made in by the Big Three in the 80's was a POS.  My Pappy switched from Fords to Hondas at that time.  The Japanese put the heat on them and by the 90's on domestics were m

I haven't seen one available yet, but I'm interested in the Jeep Gladiator diesel.  

Posted Images

Just found this thread and I don't know how close you are to pulling the trigger Greg.  For what it's worth, I'm not really a "motor head" and don't pay a ton of attention to vehicles, but I do like reliability and high resale value.  You've pointed out that this will likely be your last vehicle, so while reliability will obviously be big for you, resale may not.  One point to make though, I recently paid off my Toyota Tacoma (4 door with a long bed and a cap).  I really see no need to "upgrade" to a new one because mine's still in excellent shape, isn't costing me any money and the new ones really aren't offering any super cool features anyway.  Just for giggles and grins though, I checked the book value on my truck, purely out of curiosity.  For the record, it's a 2014 with nearly 80,000 miles on it.  After dickering and getting my best deal, I think I paid in the neighborhood of 31K for it when new, then I added around $1500 by purchasing the cap and a second set of rails for the cap.  High trade in value now is nearly $26K, so I've lost very little value in the vehicle and I could hypothetically trade up for a new one for a little bit of nothing.

Like you, I just don't need or want a full-size truck, so these mid-sized vehicles are fine by me.  I wish mine got slightly better gas mileage (I get around 20 in general, worse in the wintertime and much worse while towing), but otherwise I love the truck.  Can't really add anything about the Ranger, I hope you have good luck with whichever you choose.

Greg Hartman
2 minutes ago, GANGGREEN said:

Just found this thread and I don't know how close you are to pulling the trigger Greg.  For what it's worth, I'm not really a "motor head" and don't pay a ton of attention to vehicles, but I do like reliability and high resale value.  You've pointed out that this will likely be your last vehicle, so while reliability will obviously be big for you, resale may not.  One point to make though, I recently paid off my Toyota Tacoma (4 door with a long bed and a cap).  I really see no need to "upgrade" to a new one because mine's still in excellent shape, isn't costing me any money and the new ones really aren't offering any super cool features anyway.  Just for giggles and grins though, I checked the book value on my truck, purely out of curiosity.  For the record, it's a 2014 with nearly 80,000 miles on it.  After dickering and getting my best deal, I think I paid in the neighborhood of 31K for it when new, then I added around $1500 by purchasing the cap and a second set of rails for the cap.  High trade in value now is nearly $26K, so I've lost very little value in the vehicle and I could hypothetically trade up for a new one for a little bit of nothing.

Like you, I just don't need or want a full-size truck, so these mid-sized vehicles are fine by me.  I wish mine got slightly better gas mileage (I get around 20 in general, worse in the wintertime and much worse while towing), but otherwise I love the truck.  Can't really add anything about the Ranger, I hope you have good luck with whichever you choose.

Toyota Tacos are very nice, but they can't be flat towed, Bill, so they don't make the cut - sadly.

1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

Plus, the tailgate is a nice place to de-tick, de-burr a dog or to just sit and have a beer at the end of the day.  If I do this (jury still out on that), I will go with a mid-size truck.

Just make sure you can get your butt upon the tailgate😊 Butt test it at the dealership.

Mid-size trucks are similar to 3” 28 gauge shells.

My stepson just got a new Ram PU, I would need a step ladder to sit on the tailgate.

My experience has been that most SUV’s will walk away from most standard 4wd pick up trucks in tough situations.

Tires make all the difference.

you could pick up a first generation tundra 2006 pickup like your old one down here without a spot of rust on it and even if someday you have to repower it you would be way ahead money wise

pull it on a car trailer and you have the added benefit of being able to back up without disconnecting it

The thing about that Frontier--that 6 cyclinder is a heck of a motor. Over the years we had that same motor in a Maxima, Pathfinder and Xterra. A very strong long running unit with excellent torque for off-road.

Not great on mileage, that is true--especially in the trucks. I only unloaded it because I started a business back up and felt like I needed full size.

The new Ranger is the cheapest of the bunch of "smaller" pickups out there.  To keep things simple, it only comes with one engine choice (and it is a pretty decent powerplant) and only comes as a crew cab that I can tell.  Both of those are good/bad....on the good side, you don't have to search the world for the combination of 900 factors and options and choices to get the rig you want, the bad....you better like that configuration.

Frankly, I wouldn't be buying anything new to tow behind a rig for many reasons.......but do whatever blows your hair back....

I'm a pretty die hard Toyota guy, and as I have said before.....while I appreciate the positives on the Taco......I still really don't get the infatuation with them for the price.  And for Greg it is a moot point due to the flat towing requirement.

Greg if you are cool with towing a new rig behind the RV, then you should go drive the Ranger and maybe think about what features you can live without.....maybe that way the sticker won't be as bad as the Platinum Espresso Harley Davidson Raptor Titanium Lariat Jetson-mobile version would be......

I vote for an F450, you know, in case you need to tow the motorhome........can't ever have too much truck.

I have nothing to contribute other than I look forward to hearing more reviews. I've been in a 2006 Colorado, 2012 Ranger and now a 2014 F150. The F150 was only obtained to facilitate pulling a 25ft travel trailer that I traveled out of extensively for a number of years. I've down graded now and don't intend on going back to that size trailer. I have no major issues with my F150 and I'll keep it for another at least 5 years, but I'll downsize when I'm up for the next truck and I'm happy to be in the medium the current Ranger/Colorado/Tacoma provides compared to the compacts of old and the current full size. As people appreciate the extra size of a full size, I can appreciate the slightly smaller frame work. There's enough times when I wish my F150 was 1 ft narrower and 2 ft shorter.

As to mid-size versus full size, I spent a week in a full size 4x4 Ram around Houston, on the highway and in a city -- while the truck was very nice to drive, the size was just too big for what I do day-to-day.  Parking in garages was especially a pain.  Slots are pretty small, turns are tight in most garages.  Maneuvering in heavy traffic was also not fun.  Out on the interstate and on unimproved roads - the Ram really shines.  BTW, just as your are thinking that 88 can't drive, twice I've been a teamster and have operated large vehicles in heavy traffic.  

As to a mid-size, I spent a 3-day weekend driving my sister's crew cab Tacoma - another nice ride.  In traffic, on the highway and parking, no problem.  I was in ATL and Nashville in both cities, the interstates between them and in the mountains as well.  Mid-size was just right for all-around driving in comparison, at least for me.  BTW, while I'm not particularly tall at 6', I could easily fit in the back of the Taco behind my tall-ish SIL who is 5' 9".  My take is the Ranger is the size of a Taco,looks like a nice ride.  As to the 1st year release issues, that could be a problem.  However with today's computer generated updates, often things that are not great at 1st can be updated with SW versions.  

6 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

How many miles per year do you tow that full-sized pick-up?  I'm guessing 20K/year of towing for me.  Don't want to have to drag an enormous truck around that far each year.  Besides, I'm just an average size guy (probably the very size person most things are made for - including gun stocks), Nancy is tiny and my dogs aren't big, so a mid-size truck has plenty of room for me.  Cost of purchase and operation, frankly, isn't the main factor - usability for my five (probably odd) primary purposes is.

I hear you and please realize that I'm only stating my personal preference.  At 6' 4" tall and 210 lbs you and I are not always going to find the same size seating comfortable.  The towing issue in my opinion is irrelevant if you're towing with a diesel, the MH will never notice that difference.  You'll naturally buy whatever suits your needs, I'm just adding my 2 cents to the discussion.

apachecadillac

A comment on the Nissan drivetrain (based on 4 years and 85000 miles with an Xterra, not a Frontier)--for me it has been bullet proof and I'd do it again in a minute.  Yeah, the turning radius takes a little getting used to--but it has never been a problem for me.  And, yeah, the gas mileage, especially over 70 mph, falls off dramatically.

Nissan kinda lives in the shadow of Toyota, I think Toyota has the superior marketing.  Product wise, you've got to look at your choices individually.  I'd also say that with the new generation trucks and SUVs some of the mileage comparisons can be misleading.  If you want a 5000 pound tow capacity, you need to make sure you're getting it at a particular trim level and in a particular configuration.  One way the manufacturers get to their fleet fuel economy goals involves tweaking drive trains to enhance fuel economy at the expense of towing performance.  So, all [fill in the blank]s are not going to be equal.  It's a much bigger issue than it used to be.

And, well, as far as bloat goes, everything these days seems to be supersized.  Not sure of the point . . . but if you build it, they will buy it.

6 hours ago, River19 said:

The new Ranger is the cheapest of the bunch of "smaller" pickups out there.  To keep things simple, it only comes with one engine choice (and it is a pretty decent powerplant) and only comes as a crew cab that I can tell.  

Actually I think the Nissan is the cheapest, granted it is the most "outdated". Also the Ranger is available in extended and crew cabs both.

For those of you saying the small trucks generally don't make sense...I certainly understand the sentiment and generally find full size makes more sense for me as well.

However the price difference between a Ranger and F150 is not insignificant if you compare apples to apples.

base model 4x4 extended cab Ranger msrp: $28.5k

base model 4x4 extended cab F150 msrp: $36.5k

Maybe when you add in a lot of options the price difference narrows, but for a bare bones 4x4 truck the Ranger is quite a bit cheaper than an F150.

14 minutes ago, Flush said:

Actually I think the Nissan is the cheapest, granted it is the most "outdated". Also the Ranger is available in extended and crew cabs both.

For those of you saying the small trucks generally don't make sense...I certainly understand the sentiment and generally find full size makes more sense for me as well.

However the price difference between a Ranger and F150 is not insignificant if you compare apples to apples.

base model 4x4 extended cab Ranger msrp: $28.5k

base model 4x4 extended cab F150 msrp: $36.5k

Maybe when you add in a lot of options the price difference narrows, but for a bare bones 4x4 truck the Ranger is quite a bit cheaper than an F150.

Thanks Flush.

I watched a couple review vids this weekend and thought they said crew cab only.....maybe I was inebriated.  I (along with many evidently) forget about the Frontier.  The Ranger was the cheapest of the top competition of GM/GMC Colorado/Canyon, Ranger and Tacoma.  I have no doubt you could steal a Frontier for less than all 3.

If a Frontier could be flat towed then maybe it is a decent option.

It's funny, maybe I just read too many opinions and reviews but when it comes to traveling and wanderlust recommendations there are 2 constant themes:

1 - Just get a Ford as there is a Ford dealer everywhere and parts are easy to find

2 - Get a Toyota, they don't break in the first place

But no real theme exists for GM or Nissan, well except maybe "Nissan still makes a truck?"......just an interesting observation.

Here is a feature you might want to consider that I got with my 2013 F150. Probably available on the Ranger also. Makes getting into and out of the bed so much easier and since I haul dogs to trials I am up in the bed quite often. The step folds up into the tail gate and the handle lays down when not in use.

ZZZFord Tailgate step and handle.JPG