REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
spinfly

Stanley Cup Playoffs

jeff88

...and they're off!  Pens could not have been sloppier, the whole team seemed like they weren't ready.  At least it was only one game.  Still,

GO PENS!

canvasback

Well, Laine and Byfuglian showed up but the Jets did what they've been doing a lot of the last few months.....start strong, play hard and lose in the third period. Not the start I was hoping for.

Canuck
3 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

I think the hockey Gods were watching and PLEASED with the partying. Not even a God can be upset by pure joy from winning the best trophy in sports and exercising a decades old demon.

Okay you are probably right. If, say the Leafs were to win after 55 years without a Cup, they might "over-celebrate" as well.

Ben Hong

Over the last 75 years the mantra has always been Cups are won with DEFENSE and GOALTENDING! The Leafs have the weakest defensive line-up of all the playoff teams. Anderson is suspect!

canvasback

To paraphrase our former PM, who was and is hockey mad, in a popular slogan from our last federal election, "The Leafs just aren't ready."

Canuck

I was wondering why it was taking sooo long for the anti-Leaf fans to give me some sass.

Big Al

Somebody tell the Bolts it's a 60 minute game.  Throughout Cooper's tenure with the Lightning it's been the same thing.  Get a lead then spend the rest of the game defending it.  He plays the hockey equivalent  of the prevent defense.  Very frustrating.

Kudos to the Jackets for a good win.  It was well deserved.

Go Bolts!!!!

canvasback
1 hour ago, Canuck said:

I was wondering why it was taking sooo long for the anti-Leaf fans to give me some sass.

LOL, I spent too much time as an adult living spitting distance from MLG and reading about Harold Ballard. Can't come back from that. But mostly, I think the Toronto media and fans have spent 50 years being too demanding and unwilling to accept the hard road that must be taken to build a championship team. Always the short cut. With no patience.

So in fact, despite being anti - Leafs, I have been pleased with the tenor of Shanahan's regime. Build from the ground up. No short cuts. They are coming and IMHO the best Leafs to watch since the late 1960's. They are finally becoming a team one can respect.

Now my other favorite team besides the Jets are the Habs. And to my dismay, they have gone down the meddling Harold Ballard path.

gwponr

Pavelski scoring off his chin last night, now that's scoring the hard way.....Damn that looked painful. Hope someone save his teeth for him as keepsakes

Big Al
3 hours ago, canvasback said:

They are coming and IMHO the best Leafs to watch since the late 1960's. They are finally becoming a team.

Fixed it for you.

Ben Hong

I tried to say a few good words about the hated (by me) Bruins. They proceeded to Sh** the bed to betray my incipient interest in them. How can they lose to the Leafs? At home? And, Marchant didn't even smooch or lick one Leaf in the whole game!?

kgb
7 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

I tried to say a few good words about the hated (by me) Bruins. They proceeded to Sh** the bed to betray my incipient interest in them. How can they lose to the Leafs? At home? And, Marchant didn't even smooch or lick one Leaf in the whole game!?

Sounds like they're trying to keep your relationship interesting with a little mystery.  Got anything good to say about the Islanders?

Millriver

Did the Bruins even show up last night?! They continue to play like that it's going to be an early summer vacation for them.

Thank goodness I didn't waste my time watching and watched UMass win instead. 

Big Al

It's very conflicting to watch a game where you want both teams to lose.  

Canuck

Bruins loss to the Leafs exposed Chara for the old, slow, hack and whack player that he is. Leafs beat the Bruins to every puck in the O-Zone. Anderson held them in when the Bruins controlled the Leafs end of the rink.

The Caps looked unbeatable early and I was about to post those comments last night when things turned and  the game turned around until a last minute empty netter sealed it.

Calgary played as expected.