REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
spinfly

Stanley Cup Playoffs

canvasback
1 minute ago, Kemo Sabe said:

That's incorrect. I enjoy the game of hockey, but not the fighting. It really sends the wrong message. So, I guess I'm rejecting your point. So be it. 

Actually, in your own words, you don't. You went, you saw and you stopped going. You like part of the game. You'd like another part changed to suit your tastes.

Kemo Sabe
20 minutes ago, canvasback said:

Good god man....now you are just getting nonsensical. You think there have never been fights by fans or other parties relating to other sports that haven't ended in tragedy? How ridiculous an effort at a point.

Sure it has. We've had numerous situations here in the Bay Area involving fights where people where killed or critically injured after  a Giant-Dodger games. But it doesn't get labeled as "part of the game".

In the hockey example, the fight afterwards was a result of a fight in the rink. 

Kemo Sabe
Just now, canvasback said:

Actually, in your own words, you don't. You went, you saw and you stopped going. You like part of the game. You'd like another part changed to suit your tastes.

Wrong again.

I quit going because I didn't like part of the game. I think it's wrong to go along with "fighting is part of the game" in ice hockey. It sends the wrong message out, especially to kids. Your ideas may vary, and that's fine. But don't tell me  what I am thinking, as you don't know. 

Ben Hong
29 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Canvasback,

I suppose what happened a few years ago, where one hockey  father killed another hockey father in a fist fight after a game where their sons got into a fight on the ice was "just part of the game" as well?. 

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Talk about a leap!!

Speaking of bench clearing brawls, there are more of these events in baseball in one year than there has been in hockey over the past 10.

canvasback
29 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Wrong again.

I quit going because I didn't like part of the game. I think it's wrong to go along with "fighting is part of the game" in ice hockey. It sends the wrong message out, especially to kids. Your ideas may vary, and that's fine. But don't tell me  what I am thinking, as you don't know. 

You are contradicting yourself. You said you liked part of the game and you didn't like another part of the game. You like the skating and shooting stuff and you don't like the physical part of the game. I repeated that. You stopped going because you didn't like a part of the game. Fine. No one forces you to go. My beef is with your insistence that the game be changed to meet your standards.

canvasback
31 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Sure it has. We've had numerous situations here in the Bay Area involving fights where people where killed or critically injured after  a Giant-Dodger games. But it doesn't get labeled as "part of the game".

In the hockey example, the fight afterwards was a result of a fight in the rink. 

And nowhere that I am aware of ever describes a homicide that take place in a parking lot after a hockey game "part of the game". Reaching so much you are on your tippy toes.

The fight after the game you are describing happened because two idiots got into a fight. It had nothing to do with the game.

canvasback
35 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Wrong again.

I'm not now nor have I ever tried to tell you what you are thinking. I don't know. I base my posts in this conversation on the specific things you have written. I have nothing else to go on. Perhaps, if you don't like my characterization of what you have written, you should consider what you wrote as being the source of the problem.

Kemo Sabe
36 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Talk about a leap!!

Speaking of bench clearing brawls, there are more of these events in baseball in one year than there has been in hockey over the past 10.

Ben. Let's see.....there was a "part of the game fight on the ice" during a game, that carried over afterwards with the parents. How's that "a leap"?

The difference is those baseball "bench clearing brawls" are  not considered to be part of the game or any type of a good thing, and are dealt with accordingly.

Canuck

Easy boyz. Hockey stirs up the passion.

Fist fighting in hockey is there to replace cross checks to the head with a weapon. That is not tolerated, whereas a two-punch knockout is part of the game and has been since the beginning. If Kadri had just grabbed DeBrusk and decked him all would be good. 

Kemo Sabe
32 minutes ago, canvasback said:

You are contradicting yourself. You said you liked part of the game and you didn't like another part of the game. You like the skating and shooting stuff and you don't like the physical part of the game. I repeated that. You stopped going because you didn't like a part of the game. Fine. No one forces you to go. My beef is with your insistence that the game be changed to meet your standards.

I didn't contradict myself at all. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

And, I never said I "didn't like the physical part of the game". I said I didn't like the fighting. Football is plenty physical, but they don't consider fighting as part of the game. 

I don't think it wrong at all to say one likes ice hockey, but that they need to not tolerate any fighting. Especially what happened last night. The one who's contradicting themselves is you. 

Kemo Sabe
37 minutes ago, canvasback said:

And nowhere that I am aware of ever describes a homicide that take place in a parking lot after a hockey game "part of the game". Reaching so much you are on your tippy toes.

The fight after the game you are describing happened because two idiots got into a fight. It had nothing to do with the game.

Again, that fight and murder was a carry over from their kids fighting during the game. Pretty straight forward, if you open you eyes. 

Kemo Sabe
29 minutes ago, canvasback said:

I'm not now nor have I ever tried to tell you what you are thinking. I don't know. I base my posts in this conversation on the specific things you have written. I have nothing else to go on. Perhaps, if you don't like my characterization of what you have written, you should consider what you wrote as being the source of the problem.

Your talking in a circle here, and not making any sense. 

My opinion is that hockey should clean up the fighting, and discipline it in the manner other sports do.  

That's my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. I really don't care. 

Kemo Sabe

Ben, Canvasback, and Canuck:

A question. Why are there no fights in Olympic hockey?

In one version of the game, you are automatically ejected for fighting.  In the NHL, you sit for five minutes. 

Seems like a pretty easy fix to me. 

Ben Hong
25 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

That's my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. I really don't care. 

Neither do I !!!

Kemo Sabe
4 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

Neither do I !!!

Ben,

Care to tackle my Olympic Hockey comparision question?