Stanley Cup Playoffs

Whew, that Jets Blues game was a nail biter. I hate those. But in the end the good guys prevailed in OT. Series tied up 2-2 and we are back to a best of three. And while the Jets now have home ice advantage for the last 3 games, apparently that was meaningless to both teams in the first 4.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• gunsrus

• erik meade

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have played enough hockey and liked the heavy hitting, even though I wasn't big, to know that if the refs don't do something about cheap shots, late hits, face washing in scrums (gloves hurt like he

Not to nitpick or anything, but the thread is labeled "Stanley Cup Play-offs" NOT NHL fighting debate. Just saying.

My top 10 reasons for why I'm rooting for the Blues:   1 - Am really tired of Boston dominance in sports, who isn't outside of New England? 2 - Marchand is on the Broons 3 - Blues

As a long standing Caps fan last night was a wonderful night. Not only did the mighty and feared Bolts get bounced, the most hated rival ever, the Pens get to go home as well. To add icing on the cake, both the Islanders and Blue Jackets get to sit around for a week or so losing any momentum they might have developed.

I think based on what they learned last year, the Caps can sweep the game 3 turd(and what a turd it was) they laid under the rug. We shall see. I think a second round match-up with Trotz and the Caps could be epic.

Glad to see the Jets pull even.

15 hours ago, Ontdon said:

It is obvious who here has played the game and who has not. Any player current or passed would rather take the chance of squaring off man to man than to be speared , cross checked in the head, butt ended ,severely slashed or hit with a knee . Kadri was wrong, DeBrusk was wrong. Ovechkin answered a challenge after they had both "sticked each other"the kid will learn. Sometimes you learn the hard way.

You have never seen a fight in football...BS. You have never seen a fight in baseball...BS. You have never seen a fight in basketball...BS. Although you seldom see it in soccer, the fans are the biggest hooligans in the world. English fans were banned from travelling to Europe for the FA cup.

Men have testosterone it can't all be used up for sex.

Well I played the game all the way through college and still play every week to this day. I don’t like the fighting; I think it’s bad for the game and unnecessary. I understand it is a traditional part of the game for some, especially in Canada and that’s fine, I’m not going to tell you how to have fun.

What I don’t like is the false argument that you need fighting to keep the game clean because you don’t. To say I have to pick between fighting a guy and getting cross checked in the head is dumb, every other league and contact sport proves that. If someone knocks you on your a## suck it up, get up and knock one of their guys on their a## when you get a chance. If we as hockey players are so tough we should be able to take a hit without feeling the need beat up the other guy or cheap shot them.

If fighting is a traditional part of the game for you and you like it just say that, no further explanation necessary. JMO

As far as the Ovi thing goes when a kid fights a grownup it generally does not go well for the kid, kinda reminds me of that Nolan Ryan thing back in the day. I will say if you enjoyed watching a kid get knocked out because he was stupid that’s kinda sick.

P.S. Hockey is the greatest game ever invented.

The fighting could go, doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to enforce.  Being good at permitted assault and battery shouldn't be a requirement for teams, players should be able to energize from other sources in competition but so it goes.  Bob Errey sounds like a little kid getting excited on the playground when two guys drop the gloves, some people thrive on the conflict beyond the game and it doesn't look to end any time soon.  Might take some lawsuits to do it.

Not to nitpick or anything, but the thread is labeled "Stanley Cup Play-offs" NOT NHL fighting debate. Just saying.

Not to pick an old scab, but I always enjoyed a bit of fisticuffs in a game...

Call me a Neanderthal...

On 4/16/2019 at 1:25 PM, Kemo Sabe said:

The NFL has always been a manly game as well. No sissies playing that game. And Pavelski's playing with an  injury has nothing to do with the fighting situation in hockey.

Hockey has come a long way, but they still have an act that needs cleaning up. 

This ^

Have often stated in these threads that hockey players are the toughest athletes pound for pound.  But other sportsman are tough as well.  No fighting in rugby.  My take on fighting in hockey is that we now know that CTE is caused from concussions; fighting can cause concussions and has nothing to do with the game being played.  It needs to be eliminated.  So do cheap shots that aren't called.  But this is the NHL and many of those in leadership roles don't want to change the game as it is.  It would still be the baddest @$$ game in the world just on the merits of clean hits but that just does not seem enough.  Nothing I love more than a bone-jarring open ice clean hit where there is no leaving the skates or targeting the head.  That should be enough.  

On 4/16/2019 at 11:06 AM, Tom Avent said:

The kid has been trying to mix it up with the Caps from the first second of game 1. I guess he was trying to prove himself as a true NHL player and star. He happened to come across the phenomenon known as Alex Ovechkin. The idiot asked for the fight and Ovi finished it. Ovi is NOT a fighter(has had 4 in his entire NHL career). It was a dumb hockey move by Ovi though. Seemed to fire up an already fired up Cane team. The Caps better get their S together if they don't want to be like TB and/or the Pens this year.

Ovie, as a Russian, has a real mean streak when it comes to his country men in the NHL.  His open ice knee to injure to Sergei Gonchar not to mention numerous shots at Geno Malkin - whattsamatta him?  

On 4/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, canvasback said:

Same can be said for MMA and boxing. They know and give consent in advance. Big difference from your inaccurate and misleading example. They are not equivalents.

Used to be a boxing fan until I saw Ali in the Indy airport many years ago - he could only take very short steps, we was off-balance, could not move one of his arms, could not speak - he required full time care and assistance.  To me CTE is like smoking in the 60's, people were starting to see the effects of smoking and quitting.  In the long run, certain sports including hockey will be greatly modified or ended.

Open or pour your beverage of choice and turn up the volume IT'S ON again  Come on Leafs

21 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

islanders played another excellent game! On to round 2!

They sure did.  My hat is off to the Isles, they were the much better team.  Am not only shocked that they beat the Pens so soundly, they did it playing the Pen's own game from three years ago.  Am also really impressed with Trotz, he got his guys to play a certain way and they did on every shift.  

I'd like to see the Isles, the Leafs, the Canes or the BJ's go all the way to the cup; a team that hasn't been there in a while.  Right now I'd like to see a LVGN versus NYI final with LV/Fleury hoisting the cup.  

Always next year for the Pens.  They may re-tool and be back in the hunt - can't be too down on them for two recent cups and 13 years straight of making the post season.  The only silver lining I can see is more time not glued to the games.  OK, go ahead, call bull$#!+ on me, it would be the right response.  😥

5 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

This. 

1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Ovie, as a Russian, has a real mean streak when it comes to his country men in the NHL.  His open ice knee to injure to Sergei Gonchar not to mention numerous shots at Geno Malkin - whattsamatta him?  

It was that hit in Pittsburgh that got my neighbor's boy a call. He just got done with his game in Wilkes Barre and a limo was waiting to take him to game 5 in WA. Got his name on the cup that year and never left the big show as he is still playing in AZ. 

56 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

They sure did.  My hat is off to the Isles, they were the much better team.  Am not only shocked that they beat the Pens so soundly, they did it playing the Pen's own game from three years ago.  Am also really impressed with Trotz, he got his guys to play a certain way and they did on every shift.  

I'd like to see the Isles, the Leafs, the Canes or the BJ's go all the way to the cup; a team that hasn't been there in a while.  Right now I'd like to see a LVGN versus NYI final with LV/Fleury hoisting the cup.  

Always next year for the Pens.  They may re-tool and be back in the hunt - can't be too down on them for two recent cups and 13 years straight of making the post season.  The only silver lining I can see is more time not glued to the games.  OK, go ahead, call bull$#!+ on me, it would be the right response.  😥

I am a long time Islander fan. Used to listen to them in my room at night when they had their run with Mike Bossy, Billy Smith and the rest of a very good team. I am originally from Long Island so they were really the first home team sports franchise that had a dominant team. Then came long years of losing. Nice to see them playing well. 

3 hours ago, jeff88 said:

The only silver lining I can see is more time not glued to the games.  OK, go ahead, call bull$#!+ on me, it would be the right response.  😥

Not at all. I see the same benefit and with the way the Pens played game 1 it wasn't such a bad thing to miss 2 and 3 for me. Our dog club ran our Spring hunt tests this weekend so just catching up on the losing scores was probably the better option this time around!  

No caring about the rest of the season, except hoping for continuing success for Fleury or a Canadian team. Maybe the Avs since a good friend is a die-hard fan.  

U.S. teams have been in the league for a while now, isn't it time to call it the International Hockey League?