Jump to content

Stanley Cup Playoffs


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

Oh goodie!!!Da Broons have reverted back to their thuggish ways, and won!

I knew you'd come around .ūüėć

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • jeff88

    70

  • Ben Hong

    54

  • gunsrus

    48

  • erik meade

    33

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have played enough hockey and liked the heavy hitting, even though I wasn't big, to know that if the refs don't do something about cheap shots, late hits, face washing in scrums (gloves hurt like he

Not to nitpick or anything, but the thread is labeled "Stanley Cup Play-offs" NOT NHL fighting debate. Just saying.

My top 10 reasons for why I'm rooting for the Blues:   1 - Am really tired of Boston dominance in sports, who isn't outside of New England? 2 - Marchand is on the Broons 3 - Blues

Does anyone, besides me (and maybe OntDon) think that the Leaf/Bruin game was ruined by very poor officiating?

Suspend the refs for as many games as Kadri gets.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Does anyone, besides me (and maybe OntDon) think that the Leaf/Bruin game was ruined by very poor officiating?

Suspend the refs for as many games as Kadri gets.

 

The Bruins played rough and made a lot of late hits, Kadri had had enough, DeBrusk deserved that hit after the way he lifted Marleau into the turnbuckle. Suspend the refs for allowing all of Bostons late after the whistle hits that led up to it, they game got more and more chippy from the lack of calls.

 

I hadn't watched much hockey since the late 80's early 90's until last season where I watched more games than the last 15 years combined. I see a lot of rule changes and a lot less hitting in todays hockey which is fine, I love a good fast paced technical game but refs have always let the teams play and call less penalties during playoffs. I commented to my brother after game one of Vegas/San Jose that Vegas didn't hit hard enough and passed on a lot of hit opportunities. Friday they looked much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone here knows that I love "man's hockey", that is hit and be hit, then come back up for more. The participants who practice this kind of game has the respect and admiration of opponents, teammates and fans alike, but there is a fine line that shouldn't be crossed. Anger and revenge should not play any part in the toughest game around, there are just too many openings for toughness to morph into goonery. We saw some of it last night in the Leaf/Bruins game. As much as I take a comedic/ironic approach to my comments, I deplore what I saw was attempts to injure. These are brothers of the same union, keep it clean guys!

 

I will post later, maybe, on what I think of the officiating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is difficult to watch a player get raked across the face with a stick or take an elbow to the head and then get cross checked repeatedly in the back with no penalty on the play, then take two minutes for tapping an opposing puck carriers gloves with his stick.

 

The De Brusk knee-on-knee hit on Kadri could have been career ending and not even a two minute call.

 

Kadri had to protect his teamate after the hit on Marleau, the officials were not calling anything. Kadri should be commended for showing some backbone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played enough hockey and liked the heavy hitting, even though I wasn't big, to know that if the refs don't do something about cheap shots, late hits, face washing in scrums (gloves hurt like hell dragged across your eyes and nose) someone else will. If you try to take someones knee out, rather than hip checking them, someone will notice, even if the refs don't. If you live by the sword be prepared to die by the sword.

 The caliber of the officiating is obviously not up to the caliber of the players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jets got back into their series and the Bolts are headed for an epic first round exit. Whodda thunk! 

 

 

Was fun watching Tiger today!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they (Bolts) lose the series, it will be one of the biggest collapses in NHL history. Come to think of it, the league leading  Big Bad Bruins of 1971is the only other team that so utterly failed. Against the lowly Habs with a raw rookie in nets named Dryden. (Gunsrus, you didn't think that I would let that go by , now did you?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

If they (Bolts) lose the series, it will be one of the biggest collapses in NHL history. Come to think of it, the league leading  Big Bad Bruins of 1971is the only other team that so utterly failed. Against the lowly Habs with a raw rookie in nets named Dryden. (Gunsrus, you didn't think that I would let that go by , now did you?)

Dryden ........ Damn he was good . The man had elastic arms .

Link to post
Share on other sites

And now the Pens are in real trouble.¬† The arrogance of some Pittsburgh teams (and fans) , except for the Pirates ūüėě is evidenced again.¬† The Steelers Ben Roethlisberger was quoted a few weeks ago stating that it is tough to win because other teams "get fired up because of who we are".¬† Huh?¬† You are a team that hasn't won anything in close to 10 years, many of the players you are playing against don't even remember you being in a Super Bowl.

Same thing here.  The Pens finished below the Islanders but yet many fans, and I believe this translated to the team hearing and believing it, had a belief that the Islanders were going to be a pushover, most predictions locally had Pens in 6, and it would all come down to whether the Pens could beat Washington and or Tampa Bay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

most predictions locally had Pens in 6, and it would all come down to whether the Pens could beat Washington and or Tampa Bay. 

I was guilty of the same feeling. Mea culpa. The Bolts are done like dinner. They had believed as a team that CBJ would just hand the series to them as they were NOT ready for playoff hockey and did not make the commitment that has to be made. CBJ on the other hand had a whole bunch of players who were acquired at the trade deadline who coalesced at the start of the playoffs and became a hungry team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

I was guilty of the same feeling. Mea culpa. The Bolts are done like dinner. They had believed as a team that CBJ would just hand the series to them as they were NOT ready for playoff hockey and did not make the commitment that has to be made. CBJ on the other hand had a whole bunch of players who were acquired at the trade deadline who coalesced at the start of the playoffs and became a hungry team.

 

I love watching hubris take down professional athletes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

And now the Pens are in real trouble.¬† The arrogance of some Pittsburgh teams (and fans) , except for the Pirates ūüėě is evidenced again.¬† The Steelers Ben Roethlisberger was quoted a few weeks ago stating that it is tough to win because other teams "get fired up because of who we are".¬† Huh?¬† You are a team that hasn't won anything in close to 10 years, many of the players you are playing against don't even remember you being in a Super Bowl.

Same thing here.  The Pens finished below the Islanders but yet many fans, and I believe this translated to the team hearing and believing it, had a belief that the Islanders were going to be a pushover, most predictions locally had Pens in 6, and it would all come down to whether the Pens could beat Washington and or Tampa Bay. 

Nicely done.  ^  (My wife would tell Big Ben to put on his big boy pants.)

 

These Isles are better than the sum of their parts.  They have been really well coached by Barry Trotz who has spent a lot of time over many years trying to find ways to beat PGH.  He's doing it with a lesser team of individuals than he had in DC with even better results.  Wow.  Last year the Caps didn't keep Crosby and Guentzel SCORELESS IN THREE GAMES!  Sorry, that one got away from me.  Crosby has had not an inch of room, nor has any other Pen yet the Isles are wide open between the dots just waiting on the back door.  Each game in the series the Pens have gone from 1. shoulda, then to 2. woulda now to 3. what???!!!

 

Right now a great story in the NHL would be Trotz versus the Caps in round 2.  The Pens have a < 2% chance to come back statistically and while they can, it sure is trending the wrong way as each game unfolds.  Hope they can win the next one or even two just to save face.  Still,

 

GO PENS!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vegas has looked good the last two games, they upped they're hitting and it looks like its paying off

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...