Stanley Cup Playoffs

Gerard Gallant is as tough a mofo as you would ever want to meet and not call him MISTER. He's a true Maritimer... he doen't say much...just don't rile him. He seemed riled after losing the first game. Just saying. Met him a couple of times through a mutual friend while he was on his way up.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• gunsrus

• erik meade

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have played enough hockey and liked the heavy hitting, even though I wasn't big, to know that if the refs don't do something about cheap shots, late hits, face washing in scrums (gloves hurt like he

Not to nitpick or anything, but the thread is labeled "Stanley Cup Play-offs" NOT NHL fighting debate. Just saying.

My top 10 reasons for why I'm rooting for the Blues:   1 - Am really tired of Boston dominance in sports, who isn't outside of New England? 2 - Marchand is on the Broons 3 - Blues

This refereeing in the Boston Toronto series is going to make me puke. Not just because I am a Leaf fan the hooking penalty against Boston was Horse >>>> too! You can punch and cross check and knee but don't touch the other guys hands or stick with your stick.

11 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

And now the Pens are in real trouble.  The arrogance of some Pittsburgh teams (and fans) , except for the Pirates 😞 is evidenced again.  The Steelers Ben Roethlisberger was quoted a few weeks ago stating that it is tough to win because other teams "get fired up because of who we are".  Huh?  You are a team that hasn't won anything in close to 10 years, many of the players you are playing against don't even remember you being in a Super Bowl.

I would think Ben's talking about the long-term history of the team.  Much like Green Bay, for anyone who grew up when they were dominant, or Dallas, or San Francisco, presumably in the future New England, to play a team with a history of exceptionalism even long ago has got to get opposing players up to win the game at hand. I'd hope that's what he meant, anyhow.

In the last 2 periods, Canes limited Caps to 1 shot per period. !  !  !  ! They were full measure for their success.

Just as an aside: Hockey in Florida just has never seemed right to me. Go Columbus...

40 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

In the last 2 periods, Canes limited Caps to 1 shot per period. !  !  !  ! They were full measure for their success.

they just walk over the Caps tonight

6 hours ago, erik meade said:

Just as an aside: Hockey in Florida just has never seemed right to me. Go Columbus...

I don't get that either, watching Panthers games on TV, and looks like only half the seats are filled. Why does the NHL keep the team there? My guess is money, but they would do well back in Quebec.

55 minutes ago, spinfly said:

I don't get that either, watching Panthers games on TV, and looks like only half the seats are filled. Why does the NHL keep the team there? My guess is money, but they would do well back in Quebec.

Another NHL team in the Hamilton / Kitchener / London area would do well but I suspect that TORONTO, Buffalo and Detroit will continue to make sure that never happens. 

I suspect Montreal has an outsized influence on the likelihood of a Quebec City team as well. 

According to many commentators, The Habs would welcome a team in Quebec City. I agree, it would bring back that rivalry they had in the 80s.

Three seasons ago the Pens hit the ice with a very fast playing and skating team with high skill levels to boot.  Rinse and repeat two years ago.  That's how the Isles look to me, a fast North/South team where they often have a free body on the rush.  Even if the Pens can win tonight, it looks very bad for any further games.  Unless they adjust and stop the cross-ice passing, it will be a sweep.  Still:

GO PENS!

46 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

That's hockey, the kid squared up with Ovechkin with something to prove as a rookie. He bit off more than he can chew.

Fighting is a part of hockey though it has really tapered off as the rules have changed, 15 years ago the last 21/2 minutes of these blow out games would have taken 30 minutes to play out with all the fighting. I can remember being at the forum down on the glass when Wayne Gretzkey got Knocked absolutely out cold by Dave Taylor. Down towards the end of the game three oilers dog piled on Dave, a couple Kings jumped in everyone else went at it. You had the goalies leaning on they're goals and the refs standing back until the melee was finished.

14 hours ago, Ontdon said:

This refereeing in the Boston Toronto series is going to make me puke.

I am pretty sure the officials in last nights game had to call the game exactly the way they did. They were probably being closely watched.

At least they were not the main part of the show and stayed out of the way. Both teams really toned down the greasy stuff. The Leafs played a little bigger than they did in Game 2 as a result.

23 minutes ago, gwponr said:

That's hockey, the kid squared up with Ovechkin with something to prove as a rookie. He bit off more than he can chew.

Fighting is a part of hockey though it has really tapered off as the rules have changed, 15 years ago the last 21/2 minutes of these blow out games would have taken 30 minutes to play out with all the fighting. I can remember being at the forum down on the glass when Wayne Gretzkey got Knocked absolutely out cold by Dave Taylor. Down towards the end of the game three oilers dog piled on Dave, a couple Kings jumped in everyone else went at it. You had the goalies leaning on they're goals and the refs standing back until the melee was finished.

The San Jose Sharks are very popular here, and I've gone to a number of games over the years.  I haven't gone in awhile, because I just can't get into the mentality that "fighting is part of hockey". No doubt it is, but in today's world, it shouldn't be. 

Can you even imagine what would happen if these kinds of fights and results you mentioned  had happened in a World Series, or a Super Bowl, or even and NBA Play-Off game? Why should Ice Hockey be any different?

1 hour ago, Kemo Sabe said:

The kid has been trying to mix it up with the Caps from the first second of game 1. I guess he was trying to prove himself as a true NHL player and star. He happened to come across the phenomenon known as Alex Ovechkin. The idiot asked for the fight and Ovi finished it. Ovi is NOT a fighter(has had 4 in his entire NHL career). It was a dumb hockey move by Ovi though. Seemed to fire up an already fired up Cane team. The Caps better get their S together if they don't want to be like TB and/or the Pens this year.