Stanley Cup Playoffs

I agree Canuck, but referring to my original post,why do they change the rules. They get themselves in trouble every year then tighten it down to compensate. Let them body check, let them hook a bit, but stop the cheap crap after whistles that usually start the rest of the BS.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• gunsrus

• erik meade

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have played enough hockey and liked the heavy hitting, even though I wasn't big, to know that if the refs don't do something about cheap shots, late hits, face washing in scrums (gloves hurt like he

Not to nitpick or anything, but the thread is labeled "Stanley Cup Play-offs" NOT NHL fighting debate. Just saying.

My top 10 reasons for why I'm rooting for the Blues:   1 - Am really tired of Boston dominance in sports, who isn't outside of New England? 2 - Marchand is on the Broons 3 - Blues

57 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

The San Jose Sharks are very popular here, and I've gone to a number of games over the years.  I haven't gone in awhile, because I just can't get into the mentality that "fighting is part of hockey". No doubt it is, but in today's world, it shouldn't be. 

Can you even imagine what would happen if these kinds of fights and results you mentioned  had happened in a World Series, or a Super Bowl, or even and NBA Play-Off game? Why should Ice Hockey be any different?

Fighting has never been part of these other sports like It was ingrained in hockey,  in 70's and early 80's they used to say "went to a fight and a hockey game broke out". It is being phased out but will take time like it took time to phase out the guys without helmets. Look at old footage of goalies with no face masks, I couldn't imagine.  I think the last player on the old L A Kings to not wear a helmet was Dave Tiger Williams, one of the best hockey fights I ever saw in person was Dave beating three guys. I forget the team they were against but Dave and a player hit hard into the boards drop gloves and dave pummels to guy to the ice. Now this is before third man in rule, a second guy comes in over Tigers right shoulder he throws him down on top of the first guy and starts beating him. A third guy comes in and Dave throws him down, now both opponents are sitting on the first guy. Dave is facing the glass and Kirk and I are right there beating on the glass cheering him on while he is punching two guys at the same time, throwing lefts on one and rights on the other guy. After he looks up and acknowledge us with a smile and a wink.

13 minutes ago, gwponr said:

Fighting has never been part of these other sports like It was ingrained in hockey,  i

Agree, it hasn't. And for good reasoning, as it easily could have been.

Sorry, hockey needs to clean up it's act. There's no place for situations like this last fight.  

37 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Agree, it hasn't. And for good reasoning, as it easily could have been.

Sorry, hockey needs to clean up it's act. There's no place for situations like this last fight.  

Someone getting knocked out in a fight is pretty rare and is not really the norm in NHL fights. The young rookie trying to make a name for himself stepped up on someone he shouldn't of, while he didn't step up on a known fighter Ovi is way out of his league. Hockey has always been a manly game, sissies need not apply. Look at Pavelski from the sharks, You wouldn't see some baseball play back on the field with an injury like that. I feel they have cleaned hockey up quite a bit from what it used to be, fights are not near as common as the once were. You can't completely change a sport over night. change takes time, the game has become far more technical than it used to be. 

14 minutes ago, gwponr said:

Hockey has always been a manly game, sissies need not apply. Look at Pavelski from the sharks, You wouldn't see some baseball play back on the field with an injury like that. I feel they have cleaned hockey up quite a bit from what it used to be, fights are not near as common as the once were. You can't completely change a sport over night. change takes time, the game has become far more technical than it used to be. 

The NFL has always been a manly game as well. No sissies playing that game. And Pavelski's playing with an  injury has nothing to do with the fighting situation in hockey.

Hockey has come a long way, but they still have an act that needs cleaning up. 

21 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

The NFL has always been a manly game as well. No sissies playing that game. And Pavelski's playing with an  injury has nothing to do with the fighting situation in hockey.

Hockey has come a long way, but they still have an act that needs cleaning up. 

I guess I don't see it the same way as you, not saying your wrong but I think you can't make that big of a change over night. The NHL will only change as far as the majority of the fans want to see.

4 minutes ago, gwponr said:

The NHL will only change as far as the majority of the fans want to see.

There in lies the problem. The fan base wants to see those fights, and the NHL is reluctant to put a complete stop to it. 

That however, doesn't make it right. Heck, if you or I did something like that on the streets in today's world, we would go to jail. And probably face a law suit. Why should hockey be any different?

8 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

There in lies the problem. The fan base wants to see those fights, and the NHL is reluctant to put a complete stop to it. 

That however, doesn't make it right. Heck, if you or I did something like that on the streets in today's world, we would go to jail. And probably face a law suit. Why should hockey be any different?

I can't truly elucidate my feelings on this post without getting somewhat political which is verboten here so I will leave it at; We disagree with the problem of fighting in the NHL

I'm not a huge fan of fights in hockey. I don't look forward to them as entertainment, I look at them as an interruption to the game I like to watch. Fast, violent and incredibly hard to play well. That said, fights, as they are now, an occasional thing, not the bench clearing brawling of the 70's and 80's, are part of the game. I grew up playing hockey, as did everyone I know. I played with future NHL players. It's part of the game and as cliche'd as it is, if you can't stand the heat......

The move to eliminate fighting comes from American hockey executives and owners and the Canadian executives kowtowing to those Americans. As is often the case, they may ruin the recipe they liked so much in the first place.

1 hour ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Same can be said for MMA and boxing. They know and give consent in advance. Big difference from your inaccurate and misleading example. They are not equivalents.

30 minutes ago, canvasback said:

Same can be said for MMA and boxing. They know and give consent in advance. Big difference from your inaccurate and misleading example. They are not equivalents.

MMA and Boxing are about fighting. Hockey is supposed to be about hockey. Not fighting. Just like football is supposed to be about playing football, and not fist fighting.

Don't see my example as either inaccurate or misleading whatsoever. 

Canvasback,

I suppose what happened a few years ago, where one hockey  father killed another hockey father in a fist fight after a game where their sons got into a fight on the ice was "just part of the game" as well?. 

Just now, Kemo Sabe said:

MMA and Boxing are about fighting. Hockey is supposed to be about hockey. Not fighting. Don't see my example as either inaccurate or misleading whatsoever. 

Hockey is about what the people who have been playing it for 100 years say it is. Much like baseball. Should I arrive in your nation and tell you how to "fix" baseball? Or should I just enjoy America's pastime for what it is. This thread was a bunch of hockey enthusiasts enjoying talking about the playoffs. You joined it specifically to make a point about how you don't like the game. I'm rejecting your point. As most fans of hockey would. Watch something else.

3 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Canvasback,

I suppose what happened a few years ago, where one hockey  father killed another hockey father in a fist fight after a game where their sons got into a fight on the ice was "just part of the game" as well?. 

Good god man....now you are just getting nonsensical. You think there have never been fights by fans or other parties relating to other sports that haven't ended in tragedy? How ridiculous an effort at a point.

What part of fan behavior after the game and outside the arena is "part of the game".

1 minute ago, canvasback said:

You joined it specifically to make a point about how you don't like the game. I'm rejecting your point. As most fans of hockey would. Watch something else.

That's incorrect. I enjoy the game of hockey, but not the fighting. It really sends the wrong message. So, I guess I'm rejecting your point. So be it.