Stanley Cup Playoffs

Fighting is not tolerated in Olympic Ice Hockey. Fight and you are tossed out of the tournament. It's the rule. This encourages you to hack or stick a guy but there is one big difference. In the Olympics i won't see you again for four years if ever again.

In the NHL we see each other every second night for a couple weeks after a long season. We play a game that is the fastest in the world, played on blades of steel with modified spears in our hands. Resolving issues with fists is far more noble than eviscerating a guys liver on the blade end of a hockey stick, simple as that really.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• gunsrus

• erik meade

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have played enough hockey and liked the heavy hitting, even though I wasn't big, to know that if the refs don't do something about cheap shots, late hits, face washing in scrums (gloves hurt like he

Not to nitpick or anything, but the thread is labeled "Stanley Cup Play-offs" NOT NHL fighting debate. Just saying.

My top 10 reasons for why I'm rooting for the Blues:   1 - Am really tired of Boston dominance in sports, who isn't outside of New England? 2 - Marchand is on the Broons 3 - Blues

It is obvious who here has played the game and who has not. Any player current or passed would rather take the chance of squaring off man to man than to be speared , cross checked in the head, butt ended ,severely slashed or hit with a knee . Kadri was wrong, DeBrusk was wrong. Ovechkin answered a challenge after they had both "sticked each other"the kid will learn. Sometimes you learn the hard way.

You have never seen a fight in football...BS. You have never seen a fight in baseball...BS. You have never seen a fight in basketball...BS. Although you seldom see it in soccer, the fans are the biggest hooligans in the world. English fans were banned from travelling to Europe for the FA cup.

Men have testosterone it can't all be used up for sex.

27 minutes ago, Canuck said:

. Resolving issues with fists is far more noble than eviscerating a guys liver on the blade end of a hockey stick, simple as that really.

Where I lose you is that I don't see this "eviscerating a guys liver on the blade end of a hockey stick" as being something to tolerate, either.  

It's not an "either/or" question. It's quite simply, "neither". 

46 minutes ago, Ontdon said:

You have never seen a fight in football...BS. You have never seen a fight in baseball...BS. You have never seen a fight in basketball...BS.

No one, including me, said that. 

They all happen. The difference  is that football, baseball, and basketball don't tolerate it, and have a much more severe penalty than a "5 minute sit".

5 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Ben, Canvasback, and Canuck:

A question. Why are there no fights in Olympic hockey?

In one version of the game, you are automatically ejected for fighting.  In the NHL, you sit for five minutes. 

Seems like a pretty easy fix to me. 

Kemo, I'll go back to a very early post from me that you chose not to respond to. 

Can you imagine the hubris required of me, growing up without any of the experience or cultural touchstones of baseball, to come to the US and complain about the game and the culture of the game and expect Americans to change it for my viewing pleasure?

Don't like hockey, don't watch it. Don't come on a thread dedicated to enjoying hockey and continuously lay a turd for those trying to enjoy the thread and the sport.

I'm not going to bother responding to each of your last few posts but they don't make sense, they aren't logical, they don't accurately reflect what you yourself wrote earlier and they appear to be based on an emotional dislike of the violence in hockey. I try to allow others to do what they want, enjoy what they want and not force or attempt to force others to adhere to what I think is important. Don't like hockey, don't watch it.

I don't like MMA. So I don't watch it and I don't get on threads about it and complain about the sport.

In baseball a brush back pitch escalates into a bean ball, which then leads to a bench clearing brawl. That is different how?

P.S. I just read what I wrote and have to add...hockey players are way better fist fighters than baseball players!!!!!

23 hours ago, erik meade said:

Just as an aside: Hockey in Florida just has never seemed right to me. Go Columbus...

That was fun.  Columbus is dangerous after that series I think.

I feel sorry for the Lightning fans, but not shedding any tears for the team. They were not really prepared to play the series, they expected to skate a bit and accept Columbus' homage. An absolute shame that will never be lived down.

The Penguins also got swept by the Islanders. They seemed old and a bit tired after being outplayed and out coached.

4 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Ben,

Care to tackle my Olympic Hockey comparision question?

Nope, I would be intolerably redundant as my fellow Canadians have very admirably done so. I am done with this as it interferes with my hockey watching time. I love hockey, I love to watch people playing hockey, I love tough unstinting hockey, and if a couple of guys want to take it a step further to settle a wrong with fists, I can accept that too. What I don't love is for people to wedge themselves into a conversation with a holier than thou stance and to bless us with their sanctimonious opinions. Now, I am done!

dag nabit, One of my concrete pumps broke down today and I had to go take another pump to the job site to get the pool finished. I got home just in time to see the last 2 minutes of san jose and Vegas, Damn 5-0 Vegas they are on a roll. 

Back on track here, I like several did not see the Blue Jackets winning the series, let alone make a sweep of it. Congrats to Torts (former Amerks coach here)on having his team ready to play and shut them down. I also thought the Isles/Pens series would have been a closer battle, and didn't expect a sweep either. Only wish Lehner played like that when he was a Sabre, glad he was able to battle his demons and get back on track, but then you need a team effort in front of you too. So much for my bracket, but still lots of exciting hockey to be played.