REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dogwood

My Ultimate Grouse Rig

Dogwood

I think I could get out of just about anything is this hoopdee.

Xterra

bobman

Yep that’s nice

Ive never had a 4x4 vehicle been considering a 2006 wrangler unlimited so I can flat tow it

not very practical however 

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

I think I could get out of just about anything is this hoopdee.

Xterra

This is exactly what tow truck drivers like to hear :D Its right up there with "watch this".

dogrunner

I bet it would get you into places that on the way out you would be swearing and your back and wallet would be hurting. 

406dn

It's nice that the hi lift jack is mounted so that it's easily accessed. My bet is that it has never been deployed.

I've had a 4x4 of some sort for the last 30+ years. They are certainly useful, there are limits thou.

The first one I owned was an 86 K5 Blazer. While it was more or less a lemon,, when chained up on all four wheels,,, it would take you most anywhere you pointed it. A friend and I took it up a mountain in snow level with the hood for several miles one year. We finally decided that the elk would not hang around in snow well above their belly,,and no one else would be stupid enough to follow our tracks thru snow so deep. We got turned around and got out of there.

C.J.L.

Yeah I don't know.  A fella goes and dumps all that money into upgrades but leaves the old spare tire as is?  Have to have all 5 wheels matching.  

Other than that I think you should buy it.  I bet they would deliver it too. 

Dogwood

I would think those upgrades would be rather pricey.  Kinda surprised it's for sale accordingly.

Clueless1

I wasn't sold on it until I saw the blurry pictures of the pavement.  Only a truly motivated seller would include those.  I'm in now. 

Dogwood
6 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

This is exactly what tow truck drivers like to hear :D Its right up there with "watch this".

Well, I did say "just about . . ."

Cold Iron
3 hours ago, Dogwood said:

I would think those upgrades would be rather pricey.  Kinda surprised it's for sale accordingly.

Those "upgrades" are Mods, or Modifications and bring pennies on the dollar if they are on the vehicle. Most people pull their mods and sell separately because of that. Also because many people including me will not purchase a used vehicle that has been modded like that. Because it likely has has the crap beat out of it. Could be a Mall Crawler though. The miles on it are hard miles even if they didn't off road it. Drivetrain angles, steering, weight, all are effected. Of course they cut a hole in the fender for that stupid snorkel (in the desert) so that would have to stay.

I had an Xterra not the best off road vehicle I have ever owned. And extremely small inside including the cabin ended up getting a trailer to haul camping gear and the wall tent.

22332306424_79ce5094b1_b.jpg

Ground clearance was poor as was approach and departure angles. Not sure if they corrected it or not but they had issues with the transmission cooler leaking radiator fluid back to the transmission. When I checked the tranny and it was looking foamy and the radiator coolant level dropped traded it in the next day for a Tacoma.

Hi Lift on the tire carrier swing arm is cute. But where ruff grouse live it will rust in months, and lock up on you being exposed to the elements. Can pour beer on them to unfreeze them (when I carried beer in the day) but that was considered alcohol abuse. So pissing on them worked too the acid in the urine would help loosen the rust. As long as it wasn't my Hi Lift LOL. I put mine under the dog seat of the Taco.

14878968994_3d6a68636e_b.jpg

22179751805_e7924540df_b.jpg

Rock sliders are offset zero degrees with filler plates more for protection against lateral slides into trees on frozen trails then spinning off rocks. Even though I went with kickouts. They also allow use of a Hi Lift.

Have had 4x4 rigs ever since my FJ55 in 1981

23444438242_b2e56ef7bd_z.jpg

And that Iron Pig was one of the best Ultimate Grouse Rigs.

But last fall picked up a Polaris Northstar with heat and AC. It truly is MY ultimate grouse hunting machine and to say I am happy with it would be an understatement. Of course still working on the Mods but trying not to deviate too far from factory specs. If anything have learned that by now. And the dog likes it.

45049860254_6d85c08302_b.jpg

45049854194_655b539c30_b.jpg

As an added bonus can use it for sporting clays in the winter, did I mention it has heat? Rare Olaf sighting

46351394252_3dd449b575_b.jpg

Getting close to my "last" vehicle and a LandCruiser or Lexus LX Series would be nice as a tow vehicle. But at the cost will likely just drive the Baja TX Taco in the ground. It is more capable off road than the Xterra was.