mccuha

Work truck

mccuha

I’m looking for a used work truck to use for my fledgling welding business. I found a 2001 Chevy 2500 with a service bed for very short money.  It has a 6.0  with a little over 180000 on it.  The trans has been rebuilt.  Anyone have any dealings with this truck and in particular the 6.0 engine.  

Lurch

Had an '04 with the 6 liter (slanted headlights but otherwise the same). I never had problems other than passing gas stations - 12-14 mpg was all I ever got out of it. Other than MPG, it was a great truck.

Flush

My brother has a Chevy with a 6.0 of that vintage and I used to drive one for a work truck. In general that engine is pretty solid and many of them go 300k miles without any real issues. I don't think there is any other 3/4ton+ gas truck engine of that approximate time frame with a better reputation of reliability. I think it's more likely other aspects of the truck, like electrical etc.. would give you headaches. My experience with GM trucks of that vintage is that overall they are "good" they may have annoying things fail, like power windows etc... but for the most part they are pretty reliable and will get you there..

bobman

Ive had two I sold recently they both had a lot of electrical problems, the engine was fine but the rest of the truck isn't I would not buy another one

mccuha

I may give it a try.  The guy is willing to take $3k.  Everything checks out and seems to be very solid.  New tires and the service bed alone is worth over a grand.  Blue book lists value between 3-6k. 

bobman

Have the codes run on it by a competent mechanic before you buy is my advice

mccuha
4 hours ago, bobman said:

Ive had two I sold recently they both had a lot of electrical problems, the engine was fine but the rest of the truck isn't I would not buy another one

What problems did you have.  What I saw on the net seemed to be pretty positive. But I know I’ve gotten lemons before as well

Marc Ret

Bad brake lines on Chevy trucks of that vintage seem to be a common issue as well. 

bobman

My mechanic whom is very competent and trustworthy told me that the code reader lit up like a Christmas tree and to get rid of them, apparently it would of required fuel injection issues, trans issues and a bunch of other issues all potentially expensive problems

both these trucks were my sons service trucks for his HVAC business

oddly enough they both drove fine and didn’t seem to me like anything serious was wrong with them.

Some issues  modern trucks can be very expensive and a hassle to deal with

I don't personally like that era of GM trucks, but they are pretty solid. 

The 6.0 is a tough engine with pretty good power. 

SEPAlander
18 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Bad brake lines on Chevy trucks of that vintage seem to be a common issue as well. 

Brake line corrosion and failure is what did my '02 Tahoe in.

Jacksdad

the 6.0 has a great reputation.  agree with others on concern for corrosion underneath, particularly brake lines. I'd budget for new lines if they look questionable at all. 

garyRI
19 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Bad brake lines on Chevy trucks of that vintage

Any near 20 year old vehicle in snow salt country is going to have brake line issues

Marc Ret
36 minutes ago, garyRI said:

Any near 20 year old vehicle in snow salt country is going to have brake line issues

The OP isn't from a high snow/salt area and my assumption would be he's looking at trucks in his home state. Regardless, bad brake lines have been a common problem with early to mid 2000s Chevy trucks even when they were only a few years old. 

mccuha

yep, I haven't looked to see where this truck is from but I'm pretty confident considering the lack or zero rust on the truck that it's not from up north or off the coast. I'm pretty confident the truck's original owner was a state owned, county owned or power company owned fleet truck. I would be the 3rd owner.  I know from experience that at the least the original owners did a great job on maintenance.  It appears the current owner kept it up as well.  I've got a mechanic to look at it and he says for the age its a pretty solid truck.  I have seen where that motor is a pretty good motor as well.

thanks for all the advice and insight. I just need to make a couple hustles to pay it off and then maybe another or so to cover future repairs.