REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
studdog

Highway Driving Rant

studdog

My wife and I have been on our spring shooting spree in the south.  Trying to enjoy Spring while we still have snow in our yard in the Great White North.  In fact, we're scheduled to meet a bunch of UJ ers at Lehigh Valley to shoot next WED. 

Anyway,  Yesterday we're driving in a rainstorm on I 81.   Traffic is very busy, one continuous  string of traffic  Trucks, cars, trailers, motorhomes you name it.  The crazy goofballs are driving 70-80 MPH in the driving rain.  Furthermore,  they're right on each others bumper.  If anyone had farted there would have been a 100 vehicle disaster.  What are these people thinking?  I drive fast when roads are dry and I cam see but not in that mess.  I kept trying to leave a gap for safety and goats kept cutting in front of me.  WOW!  Forgive the ranting and raving.  I feel better.  Enjoy every day!  George

Jim Vander

81 is a highway from hell. My daughter lives of it and I worry about it constantly. Hyper aggressive truckers too. 

studdog

Jim,  the enormous amount of traffic must have been because of Easter weekend but the drivers we're insane.

finsfurfeathers

Yup same problem every where. Too fast, too close, too aggressive. My biggest concern very few turn on their lights anymore. Guess with all the auto features people can't be bothered to put on their taillights to give the guy coming up from behind a chance to see 'em early.

WMassGriff

Used to drive a lot on highways for work and experienced the same every time. Figured they watched too much NASCAR! Anyway I really try to practice the 4 second rule for following distance. Space is your friend! Of course around Boston/NYC that's impossible but I tried.

Nowdays I drive the less traveled roads and my main peeve is Fords/Chevys/etc trying to mate with my Toyota! People must feel safer bunched together. In my youth the "brake light test" was applied, but now older and wiser I just find a spot for them to pass. BTW, I always drive 10mph over the speed limit so I don't understand their problem.

mister grouse

You could substitute any Interstate number for 81 and still have an accurate description of the driving habits on interstates today.   I hate to say this , but many times some driver determined to slow down traffic to legal limits and blocking the left lanes at some thing near the speed limit usually ends up with a long long line of traffic behind them and that sets off the crazies who pass on right lanes and shoulders and wherever they can nose through and then the wrecks occur.  

Having said that 81 in S W Va is one of the worst traffic nightmares due to lots short hills slowing traffic and heavy semi traffic.  There are often wrecks that block it for hours, as is also the case on 75 between Knoxville and Lexington.

UplandHntr

And get off my lawn.......

snood

I'm with you on this, it's crazy at times. My favorite move around here is when someone goes to "pass" on the interstate and takes 10 minutes to do so, causing a traffic back up.

gunsrus
13 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

You could substitute any Interstate number for 81 and still have an accurate description of the driving habits on interstates today.   I hate to say this , but many times some driver determined to slow down traffic to legal limits and blocking the left lanes at some thing near the speed limit usually ends up with a long long line of traffic behind them and that sets off the crazies who pass on right lanes and shoulders and wherever they can nose through and then the wrecks occur.  

Havings aid that 81 in S W Va is on elf the worst traffic nightmares due to lots short hills slowing traffic and heavy semi traffic.  There are often wrecks that block it for hours, as is also the case on 75 between Knoxville and Lexington.

I hate people who consider themselves the "traffic cop" and drive slow in the left lane . I drive fast and always pull to the right if someone wants to go faster . Let em go !!!

Larry Brown

Ah yes . . . one of the reasons I'm glad I don't live in the East any more.  Midwest "flyover country" also means there aren't nearly as many people on the roads, other than around big cities.

grouse28
3 minutes ago, snood said:

I'm with you on this, it's crazy at times. My favorite move around here is when someone goes to "pass" on the interstate and takes 10 minutes to do so, causing a traffic back up.

Yep, one person passing with cruise control set 1 mph faster than the guy he is passing. People hanging in your blind spot.

We have a four lane nearby, with people joining a “100 mph club”. Check your mirror to pass and in an instant someone is beside you..

I think lack of drivers ED classes is much of the blame. We learned many useful habits in drivers ed that most people don’t know these days.

My son who is a state cop fire marshal was t-boned the other day in his new tricked out pickup for investigation. Demolished by an Uber driver who went through a red light, probably checking his phone for his current pick up point. He probably shat his pants when my son turned on the lights and exited the vehicle in his uniform, “Yer under arrest son”.

Both were ok.

grouse28

And a semi deciding to pass another uphill. *#&@!!!

Crazy Horse

A couple of years ago they raised the speed limit on the Pennsylvania turnpike (A privately owned highway with tolls) from 65 MPH to 75 MPH. In the past with the 65 MPH limit everyone was running at 75. Now, with the speed limit at 75 everyone is doing 85 (or better). I'm convinced that BMW's and other high end cars do not have any speed restrictions.

WPG Gizmo

I drive a big orange truck and I piss people off all the time I tell my guys that you can not see things or even stop to pick it up if your flying down the road the rule of thumb is if your on the highway drive slow in the brake down lane if your on a normal road just drive slow no more then 35.  The only time we go fast is if we are hauling material now the driving public hates us for that reason.  What I like is when I know that there is a cop up ahead I will move over so that someone can pass me and they normally take off like a maniac only to run into a set of blue lights.  There is not a single reason to be doing 50+ in a residential area if your late for something it is your own fault for not leaving early.

I see people all day long flying down the road playing with their phones, changing clothes, eating and reading  plus many other things they are not driving they are a accident just waiting to happen.

Here is a word to the wise Never and I mean never get out of your vehicle on any highway unless you have a death wish more people die from being hit by distracted drivers AFTER they got out of the vehicle then if they would have stayed in the vehicle.  I at times have to get out to help folks and I keep my head on a swivel at all times  people do not care that someone is having problems they are still flying down the road and your just in their way. 

drummer's stump

I hate driving on the highway I really prefer my logging roads, especially in the winter after a fresh grading. There is no dust no potholes, just smooth snow. When I have to travel south I wish I could mount a 50 on the roof. It is 13 hour ride from my place to parents place in Pennsylvania, the first 4 hours on eight end of the trip are not bad, but from Augusta to Albany it is super shitty. It takes 2 hours and a few drinks to calm down from the trip. I have not been to south east Pennsylvania in several years, I just cannot handle that anymore. People drive like complete morons. Oh and never ride with Al, it is truly terrifying.