Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
studdog

Highway Driving Rant

Recommended Posts

gunsrus
25 minutes ago, drummer's stump said:

I hate driving on the highway I really prefer my logging roads, especially in the winter after a fresh grading. There is no dust no potholes, just smooth snow. When I have to travel south I wish I could mount a 50 on the roof. It is 13 hour ride from my place to parents place in Pennsylvania, the first 4 hours on eight end of the trip are not bad, but from Augusta to Albany it is super shitty. It takes 2 hours and a few drinks to calm down from the trip. I have not been to south east Pennsylvania in several years, I just cannot handle that anymore. People drive like complete morons. Oh and never ride with Al, it is truly terrifying. 

My wife and daughter are threatening to have my license pulled . I'M NOT THAT OLD YET !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mccuha

Gunsrus. I agree with you totally. The left lane is for passing.  Pass then get over.  I have a coworker that was in the military stationed in Germany.  He said that on the autobon and other 4 lanes you’d get pulled over for driving in the left lane and going to slow.  

 

Thats one of the biggest reasons they have wrecks on the highway.  People driving to slow and in the wrong lane 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WI Outdoor Nut
26 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Gunsrus. I agree with you totally. The left lane is for passing.  Pass then get over.  I have a coworker that was in the military stationed in Germany.  He said that on the autobon and other 4 lanes you’d get pulled over for driving in the left lane and going to slow.  

 

Thats one of the biggest reasons they have wrecks on the highway.  People driving to slow and in the wrong lane 

I was thinking about this yesterday as I made a trek back from gulf shores in one day, 1,118 miles in 17 hours straight through.  I will admit on trips like this, I drive fast.  But people simply don't pass and move over to the right, they just hang out in the left lane oblivious to anyone else around them.  I have driven the autobon many times in my trips to Germany.  If you are going say 70 mph and need to pass a truck doing 60, you kick it down to 80 mph, pass, move to the right and then slow down to 70 again.  No one hangs out in the left lane unless they have their left blinker on and doing 100+mph.  Drivers in the US are idiots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kgb
1 hour ago, WPG Gizmo said:

I drive a big orange truck and I piss people off all the time 

 

My truck is little and blue but it can piss people off sometimes because I don't drive over the speed limit much except 5-6 over on the interstate.  Changing lanes frequently to get a few cars ahead is a big thing around here, probably universally, I see the humor in someone misjudging the pattern and braking sharply to duck in earlier than they intended.  Usually the drivers are young men, but it's not universal.  Some years ago a friend drove his wife to the emergency room in a hurry and came across a self-appointed traffic enforcer, you never know what's going on with speeders and other clowns so it's best to let them get by--one of them might be in a legitimate rush.

 

In Texas in 1991 I encountered many pickups moving over to the shoulder to let me pass on the highways, even when we were the only vehicles on the road.  I don't do that, but edge to the far right of my lane on 2-lanes when an anxious driver is behind and I can see it's clear up ahead.  Why not?  OTOH a meme regarding driving the speed limit when bothered by tailgaters summarized with "I gave you 5mph over the speed limit but that wasn't good enough for you.  Now you get nothing."  Cute. 

 

Years ago a young lady in my office was a true leadfoot.  She'd cruise at 90-100 on her trips across S.Dakota, it was/is apparently a common practice and with the distance involved I saw the utility in saving some time on a relatively short weekend visiting family.  Still, I questioned her fuel usage, wear-and-tear on the truck, whatever I could come up with to argue a little beyond personal safety risks, and did some math to show she really wasn't saving much time.  She was adamant it was the only way to fly, and when I framed it in terms of "you left work Friday, you're back here Monday, what difference did your driving speed make?" she got genuinely mad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
C.J.L.

Another one is the jack hole that speeds up when you go to pass them.  Ive had to "talk" to more than a few of those types while on the road.  Disrespectful fiking ice hoes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mccuha
5 minutes ago, kgb said:

 

My truck is little and blue but it can piss people off sometimes because I don't drive over the speed limit much except 5-6 over on the interstate.  Changing lanes frequently to get a few cars ahead is a big thing around here, probably universally, I see the humor in someone misjudging the pattern and braking sharply to duck in earlier than they intended.  Usually the drivers are young men, but it's not universal.  Some years ago a friend drove his wife to the emergency room in a hurry and came across a self-appointed traffic enforcer, you never know what's going on with speeders and other clowns so it's best to let them get by--one of them might be in a legitimate rush.

 

In Texas in 1991 I encountered many pickups moving over to the shoulder to let me pass on the highways, even when we were the only vehicles on the road.  I don't do that, but edge to the far right of my lane on 2-lanes when an anxious driver is behind and I can see it's clear up ahead.  Why not?  OTOH a meme regarding driving the speed limit when bothered by tailgaters summarized with "I gave you 5mph over the speed limit but that wasn't good enough for you.  Now you get nothing."  Cute. 

 

Years ago a young lady in my office was a true leadfoot.  She'd cruise at 90-100 on her trips across S.Dakota, it was/is apparently a common practice and with the distance involved I saw the utility in saving some time on a relatively short weekend visiting family.  Still, I questioned her fuel usage, wear-and-tear on the truck, whatever I could come up with to argue a little beyond personal safety risks, and did some math to show she really wasn't saving much time.  She was adamant it was the only way to fly, and when I framed it in terms of "you left work Friday, you're back here Monday, what difference did your driving speed make?" she got genuinely mad. 

Texas is my stomping grounds in the winter during bird season.  Even on there secondary roads the speed limit is 70 and there roads are in much better shape than most.  I like the wide shoulders they have.  It’s common practice for people to pull over on the shoulder and le others pass and it’s safe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mccuha

The interstate is for one purpose in my opinion and it’s to get to a destination fast. If you want to take your time and be a “Sunday driver”, get on a secondary road. 

I travel a lot for my main job and do get on the interstate some but I try to take the secondary roads more often but when I do get on the interstate I put the hammer down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

Just sounds like a normal day of driving for me, the last 5 years has really gotten bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kgb
12 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Texas is my stomping grounds in the winter during bird season.  Even on there secondary roads the speed limit is 70 and there roads are in much better shape than most.  I like the wide shoulders they have.  It’s common practice for people to pull over on the shoulder and le others pass and it’s safe.  

 

The road shoulders certainly looked in fine shape as extra lanes, was figuring the drivers were mostly rural folks carrying their courtesy onto the interstate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MAArcher

I drive a vehicle that's almost 20 years old and not at all pleasant to drive 80 MPH, especially in bad weather.  It really sucks not to be able to relax and just roll along at 55 MPH.  But everyone else has new vehicles that accelerate like a bat out of hell and stops on dime so I'm just stuck having to struggle to keep up.  

 

I can't even get excited for turkey season this year.  Pre-season scouting used to consist of getting up before sun up on a weekend morning, still in my PJ's, grab a cup of coffee and the dog and go drive around to look for turkey at first light.  At least that's what I used to do, but now there's so much traffic at every hour of the day I can't.  Someone's always on my ass.  

 

Driving at night in a hard rain and heavy traffic is a nightmare and I often have to do it in a strange city in an unfamiliar rental car.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WPG Gizmo

What kills me is the guy that has to fly by me to get down the road and we meet at the next light the only difference is he has been sitting there and the light is about ready to change when I get there so what did they gain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy

No doubt driving around most of the day, much less trying to get somewhere on the Interstate can make anyone crazy. The plain fact of the matter is that while many people can make a car go from one spot to another they do NOT know how to actually DRIVE.  Keep a couple seconds between you and the guy in front of you. Yeah.jerks will fill it in, but that is your safety margin. Drive fast if you and your vehicle are up to it, but be paced by the weather. Slow down if its raining or snowing. You want to brake safely, not slide out into someone else’s lane and get smashed. Let the idiots and maniacs drive by, they will get their comeuppance.  

 

People need to figure out risk vs reward. What benefit does it serve to constantly pass some one, then screech to a stop at the next stop sign and not be one second further along? IQ is unfortunately something not demonstrated in getting a drivers license. 

 

While living in the San Antonio area, but having been stationed in Germany and Europe for years, it is a constant combination of comedy and terror every time it snows or there is freezing rain. Cars flying off the roads in all directions the idiots still want to go 80 mph even though the bridges and overpasses are frozen. Couple years ago there were something like 750 accidents in one hour after we had a little frozen rain.You are better off pulling off the road into a bar and nursing a couple beers for an hour or so until the madness subsides.  

 

The reason we have Interstate Highways is simple: Eisenhower saw how beneficial the German autobahns were in moving military traffic across Germany.  Ike had once, back during WWI, been ordered to take a small convoy across the US from California-to DC. It took them almost one month and he knew that was not good enough. According to a Texas highway engineer I talked with, the Interstate Highway System was designed for cars to be able to travel safely at 120 mph. What he did NOT say was that the drivers of those cars had to be smart enough to DRIVE them.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mccuha
3 hours ago, gunsrus said:

My wife and daughter are threatening to have my license pulled . I'M NOT THAT OLD YET !!!!

Told my wife. When I start driving like an old man to take mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kgb
1 hour ago, WPG Gizmo said:

What kills me is the guy that has to fly by me to get down the road and we meet at the next light the only difference is he has been sitting there and the light is about ready to change when I get there so what did they gain.

 

I saw an old video by Jackie Stewart (IIRC) about driving on public roads, what stuck with me was looking ahead to estimate traffic lights, maintaining a sense of speed vs. "if it were to start changing, where is the point at which I decide to slow in order to stop in time", finding a point of commitment.  Timing local lights I encounter often is one thing, a quicker light can catch me up pretty bad.  

 

I'm already driving like an old man, somewhat.  Seat backs are best when bolt upright, but if reclined enough a young man can have the vision over a steering wheel to match a 90-year old's.  My cars and vans from the 1960s had non-adjustable seats, other than fore/aft movement, and no complaints with them.  When I want to drive like an idiot, I go to the drag strip.

 

My friend in Hawaii who built my small block has been racing since the 70's, riding with him one day a car pulled out around his truck and he commented "look at that guy, at best a 17 second car".  Perspective applied, I thought it was hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spin1

And now the orange barrels are starting to bloom here in Michigan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×