REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
studdog

Highway Driving Rant

Brad Eden

I'm a perfect driver in all conditions....But...People are always in a hurry or not in most places. What really irks me are the lazy ones who don't take the time to brush or scrape off the ice and snow from the top of their vehicles. It's a hazard in the highway. Double that for huge 18 wheelers. I know it is probably hard to get on top of those, but the sheets of ice they shed that land in the road or on your windshield are crazy. 

Another irk is that Maine is "Vacationland" from Memorial Day until end of summer, and now into fall since leaf peeping is now a thing. The influx of tourists is acute anywhere near the coast. This is for all the folks who post about their RV's and travel trailers. When you are out recreating and vacationing in your behemoth house on wheels, try and remember that many of the other people on the road aren't on vacation, they live there, work there, need to get to jobs, kids to school, or doctor appointments, to grocery shop etc., etc. We beg you to at the very least drive the speed limit, and when you need to drop a good 20mph on inclines and hills, please, please pull over as far as you can to the side of the road and let us pass and get on with our lives. Otherwise enjoy your much earned vacation. Thank you. Thank you very much.

SelbyLowndes

My complaint is semi trucks taking up both right hand lanes.  GA to south FL last week on I-75 they were stacked deep and most of the cars and pickups were driving the left lane...SelbyLowndes

Greg Hartman

Fire away at me, because I guess I'm one of those people you hate.  I've always enjoyed driving fast open two-seaters and crotchrocket motorcycles.  Used to hold an SCCA racing license, road raced bikes in the boxstock 650 cc class, etc.  It's just kinda baked in - from my younger days up to today.  Just a few of my much modified 4-wheeled toys over the years:

Old Pic - Me and Betty in the Healey - 1966

Old Pic - Getting ready for the big race - 1968

Porche - 8-04 - 3

5-8-14 - Keep Right - 3

That said, I don't tailgate, whip in and out of traffic, or otherwise drive in a dangerous or disrespectful manner - I just enjoy the windy mountain roads where I live.  When driving a regular vehicle, truck, or the big diesel pusher motorhome, I just chug along in a line with everybody else.  ☹️

I used to be a road rage guy and get angry at crazy, irresponsible drivers.  My late wife told me that I was only hurting myself and the bad drivers were likely enjoying my anger.  So, I started to pretend not to care.  It took quite a while , but eventually I got completely past this and I no longer need to pretend.  If someone cuts me off or whatever, I don't flip them off, I just smile and keep going about my business, not even a little upset.  Makes life better for me.

Brad Eden

I was in NJ for a week last month visiting my daughter. I wasn't flipped the bird once this time because of my old man driving habits. Mainly because my NJ based daughter did all the driving to a fro. It's truly a learned skill.

Dogwood

Geezers driving under the speed limit.  Ugh.  I'm thinkin' when you're 80, 20 mph must feel like 40 when the speed limit is 50.

C.J.L.
31 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Geezers driving under the speed limit.  Ugh.  I'm thinkin' when you're 80, 20 mph must feel like 40 when the speed limit is 50.

Yeah you would think those old people would drive a lot faster since they don't have much time left.  Why waste that remaining time on earth farting around driving slow?  

wijager

When I'm on freeway going 78mph in left lane and passing slower traffic in right lane and some Jack hole flies up behind me doing way over 80, flashes his lights at me then gets pissed because he has to drive around me!  I'm not on the freeway to watch out for the Jack holes so I can get out of their way.  If they want to do 80 or 90 then they can maneuver around me.  I'm already going faster than most traffic in the right lane.

Larry Brown

Back when I lived in DC, the Maryland state cops used to pull an occasional stunt on the Beltway.  They'd line up covering all the lanes, doing exactly the speed limit, during rush hour.  Not sure it was a particularly good idea, from a public relations standpoint.  Did remind people of how fast they were supposed to go, I guess.  But I think they already knew they were driving well over the speed limit.

quailguy
5 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Fire away at me, because I guess I'm one of those people you hate.  I've always enjoyed driving fast open two-seaters and crotchrocket motorcycles.  Used to hold an SCCA racing license, road raced bikes in the boxstock 650 cc class, etc.  It's just kinda baked in - from my younger days up to today.  Just a few of my much modified 4-wheeled toys over the years:

Old Pic - Me and Betty in the Healey - 1966

Old Pic - Getting ready for the big race - 1968

Porche - 8-04 - 3

5-8-14 - Keep Right - 3

That said, I don't tailgate, whip in and out of traffic, or otherwise drive in a dangerous or disrespectful manner - I just enjoy the windy mountain roads where I live.  When driving a regular vehicle, truck, or the big diesel pusher motorhome, I just chug along in a line with everybody else.  ☹️

I used to be a road rage guy and get angry at crazy, irresponsible drivers.  My late wife told me that I was only hurting myself and the bad drivers were likely enjoying my anger.  So, I started to pretend not to care.  It took quite a while , but eventually I got completely past this and I no longer need to pretend.  If someone cuts me off or whatever, I don't flip them off, I just smile and keep going about my business, not even a little upset.  Makes life better for me.

Nice wheels, Greg. Do you still have the Mazda?? Kinda the perfect car the tool around here in the warm weather.   

Grifish

Well George, I now know all I need to do on Wednesday, is cut you off in on the course at Lehigh Valley and I will own you!

studdog

Grifish,  Your in charge of weather!  George

406dn

I do not envy anyone who has to drive in heavy traffic routinely.

Most often I drive the posted speed limit. That means that occasionally I pass someone but get passed with regularity. When I tow horses,, I drive 65-67 mph whether on a state highway or interstate. One thing I like about that, is it that gives me enough space in front of me that I do not have to slam the horses around with an unplanned need to hit the brakes.

A few things I notice about people who like to fly low to the ground. It is amazing how often I'll get passed by the same vehicle numerous times when on a longer road trip. They drive 20mph faster than what I'm driving but make so many stops that they aren't making any better time than I am. If you want to make a trip efficient,, keep rolling down the road.

A short off the cuff physics lesson I gave my state legislator when he and I were at a barber shop. This was when Montana was raising the speed limit from 75 to 80 on some portions of the interstate. If you take two cars, one going 75 and the other going 80. If they both brake at the same instant,, how fast will the car going 80 at the start,,still be traveling when the other car has stopped? It will still be going over 27mph.

Another one for the low flyers to consider. A car going 100mph and a car going 70mph. The car doing a 100 will still be going over 70mph when the 70mph car is able to brake to a stop.

Unless you are driving 400+ miles in a single trip,, the time you can save driving really hard, is a matter of minutes.

Rockdoc

When I drove to Alaska a few years ago, apparently I was the only person on the Alaska Highway driving the speed limit. With that said, I was very impressed by the fact that the Canadian drivers were so quick to pass me. Here in Arizona drivers are in the habit of clinging to your butt like hemorrhoids and won’t pass even when they have ample opportunity to do so.

Steve

chilly460

Yep, it’s mayhem out there.  I have to drive 95 north of Richmond up to DC, it’s three lanes giving the idiots all sorts of options.  I occasionally tow a car trailer through DC and leave at 4am as I refuse to deal with the public while towing a car.  If you stay in the middle lane you’re getting passed left and right, right lane you’re fighting trucks, left lane is 80mph and close quarters combat which is a bit much with a trailer.  

I will say say I love trips out West with the 80mph limit, I have zero issue driving fast without other people around and in the right conditions

gunsrus
On 4/20/2019 at 6:09 PM, wijager said:

When I'm on freeway going 78mph in left lane and passing slower traffic in right lane and some Jack hole flies up behind me doing way over 80, flashes his lights at me then gets pissed because he has to drive around me!  I'm not on the freeway to watch out for the Jack holes so I can get out of their way.  If they want to do 80 or 90 then they can maneuver around me.  I'm already going faster than most traffic in the right lane.

Now there you go , the left lane is for passing so If it were me , I would move over . I have no problem with anyone wanting to drive faster than me . I have a lot of problem for anyone that wants to stay in the left lane when there is opportunity for that driver to move over and let me by .